Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 13:30   #1

Portlight Gasket Replacement

I have a Union Cutter 36 made in 1986. I need to replace the gasket in one portlight which is oval 14" x 5 5/8. The gasket measures .36 96/100 inches wide edge to edge. How do you measure depth? I've read conflicting information about getting a round vs square gasket, solid rubber vs hollow. There's no manufacturer's stamp on the brass itself. I'm open to advice
Thanks
Sail2
sail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 14:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Portlight Gasket Replacement

What we did in a similar position was to remove the gasket and take it with us to a shop that sold many different kinds of gasket materials, and matched it. The new one will be plumped up, a bit, relative to the old one. Measure the groove, or stick some playdoh or clay in it, to learn its radius. You can figure something out. It will be some sort of standard gasket. Ours have all been solid and round.

Ann
Old 05-04-2019, 15:16   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Don’t be fooled by the flattened oval appearance of your old gasket. The old gaskets on my Spartan bronze opening ports had the same look. The replacements are round and compress to the appearance of your old gaskets. I recommend Bomar replacement gasket material which has a peel away strip which reveals the contact cement stripe. Just press into position and you are golden. You can butt the ends together with a dab of contact cement. Don’t forget to butt the ends on the top of the frame. It’s an easy job once you have cleaned all the old gasket from the frame. I found a popsicle stick to be just the right size to safely remove the old gasket material from the groove in the frame and finished up with a bronze brush.
You can also buy a roll of half inch round gasket material and apply the contact cement yourself but it’s much simpler and less messy with the Bomar gasket. Plus, it’s the correct density.....if it’s not firm enough it won’t last.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 15:35   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you need something quickly to stop a leaker, I've used used closed cell foam rods called a caulk backer rod sold in home improvement stores. They come in different diameters (3/8, 1/2 and 5/8"), it actually works well and inexpensive.

It was a "temporary fix" that worked so well it lasted more than a short time.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 18:06   #5

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Send me a PM, I sell gasket material by the foot on eBay. I'll send a sample.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 17:24   #6

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2 View Post
I have a Union Cutter 36 made in 1986. I need to replace the gasket in one portlight which is oval 14" x 5 5/8. The gasket measures .36 96/100 inches wide edge to edge. How do you measure depth? I've read conflicting information about getting a round vs square gasket, solid rubber vs hollow. There's no manufacturer's stamp on the brass itself. I'm open to advice
Thanks
Sail2
Have you thought about using Sudbury Elastometric ? Flexible make for marine use .I have had good luck on my cal-29
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, men