Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2022, 05:56   #1

Boat: 12' 1976 AMF Puffer
Painting a Puffer

Morning all,

Renovating an AMF Puffer dinghy, and need some advice on paint. Weighing the pros/cons of a beautiful blue from Total Boat v. a more sandy color. The blue will show scratches more, of course, so I'm trying to figure out ways to best protect the hull. So, the real question is:

How can I best protect the keel from rub damage? I sail lakes and bays and am always pulling up to a beach for a bit of exploring, which does take a toll on the bottom. Aside from spending hundreds of dollars on a stick-on keel guard, I welcome any and all advice.

My thanks!
dogeconomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:13   #2
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: Painting a Puffer

One idea, instead of a store bought rubber or stainless keel protection, the traditional way is to have a sacrificial wood strip. Wood is expensive if you have to buy it, but Black Locust trees are prolific (at least around PA), very hard, and you don't need a full grown one, just a few inches diameter will do.

Regarding color, I'd choose the color that is most pleasing rather than most durable.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:44   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

If the dinghy is in for rough treatment, a two-part polyurethane will hold up better than other types of paint. Gelcoat is much tougher and thicker than paint. If there is any way to keep the gelcoat (compound/polish/wax...) it would be much less work. Painting is much harder than the simple directions on the can make it sound.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
One idea, instead of a store bought rubber or stainless keel protection, the traditional way is to have a sacrificial wood strip. Wood is expensive if you have to buy it, but Black Locust trees are prolific (at least around PA), very hard, and you don't need a full grown one, just a few inches diameter will do.

Regarding color, I'd choose the color that is most pleasing rather than most durable.
So I have a bit of white oak I used to replace/rebuild the bad backing wood and rebuild the bow/forestay point. That seems like a good fit: tough, water resistant, and available in my boatshed. What's the best way to adhere it to the hull so I can replace it at some future point? I guess I'd shape it somewhat so it's thin and follows the contours.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
If the dinghy is in for rough treatment, a two-part polyurethane will hold up better than other types of paint. Gelcoat is much tougher and thicker than paint. If there is any way to keep the gelcoat (compound/polish/wax...) it would be much less work. Painting is much harder than the simple directions on the can make it sound.
Under no illusions that painting will be easy. Recruiting some of my car-painting friends to give an assist when the time comes. I did use some gelcoat to fair patch spots and coat the new anchor locker and boy... it started clumping in 5 minutes. Maybe I did something wrong? Used Evercoat's stuff.
Old 02-06-2022, 13:38   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post
Under no illusions that painting will be easy. Recruiting some of my car-painting friends to give an assist when the time comes. I did use some gelcoat to fair patch spots and coat the new anchor locker and boy... it started clumping in 5 minutes. Maybe I did something wrong? Used Evercoat's stuff.
Car-painting friends are worth more than a beer each. Gelcoat and other resins can be quite heat-sensitive. People sometimes mix them up in a plastic dish that is sitting in a bed of ice to slow down the reactions. An oak rubbing strake will work, but should probably be painted. It will turn black if it is wet.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 15:00   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the oak is scrap, and this is the best use for it, let it go black or paint it. It mostly won't show except when the dinghy is upside down. Also, if you buy a small cylinder type fender, you can use it for a roller, and roll the dinghy up above high tide line, or wherever you want it. We use one for our RIB, but it's a bigger fender than you'll need/want.

As to paint, easiest is a decent quality gloss paint, it doesn't need lpu paint. It is a work boat, and you want something you can touch up easily, when/if it gets scratched.

Color? Friends painted theirs high visibility orange, for safety's sake. Personally, I think whatever color you like will do. Something that harmonizes with the mother boat, maybe? Leftover paint in your shed?

Ann
Old 03-06-2022, 07:09   #8
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post
S
What's the best way to adhere it to the hull so I can replace it at some future point?
Bronze screws would be the standard way. I don't know if stainless screws would cause iron sickness in oak, but probably not in the time frame before it needs replacing anyway.
Since it's a dinghy and readily flipped over, and small, you could simply epoxy it on and accept that you'll have to grind it off to replace it.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint