Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2011, 06:27   #1

Outboard Bracket for C&C 34 suggestions?

Hey all,
Any suggestions? The transom angle is not perendicular...
Anybody pull this off successfully?

Would much appreciate suggestions and solutions.

Thnx

Byph
Byph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:53   #2

Boat: C&C Trawler 37ft.
I used 2 1/2 inch aluminum angle to make an outboard bracket on a Douglas D32,together with the largest outboard lift I could find.I still had to use a longshaft to get decent immersion.
Jon
Kawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 07:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Outboard Bracket for C&C 34 suggestions?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Byph.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 08:01   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

You are obviously trying to create a mount for your dinghy outboard on the stern pulpit of your C&C 34. The C&C 34, like the Douglas 32, is too heavy to respond well to outboard power. Putting an outboard big enough to be effective back there will not help performance. The aft waterline profile becomes quite narrow on the C&C 34, so the weight will tend to make the stern sit too deep in the water, creating lots of turbulence under power as well as under sail. The angle of the transom will work, like hiking, to increase the leverage of the weight on the hull, worsening the dragging effect. The lifting apparatus you will need to hoist the motor when sailing will add to the weight too. Switching from motoring to sailing may be quite interesting if a wave swamps the motor as you sail along, before you have time to lift it. When it's really rough and you desperately want to power upwind to port, it is not the time to worry about the motor getting submerged - but that's when it's most likely. It's also the time when the prop may get lifted clear out of the water (as already suggested by Kawan) which is another reason this boat was designed with an inboard. Getting them wet will not improve the wires you will need to run from the outboard motor to charge your batteries, either. They will need to be BIG (read: heavy and expensive) wires because of the distance involved to the battery bank. Outboards also tend to have small props that turn fast, to push lightweight powerboats up onto a plane. The prop size you need to push your heavy keel (measure what the boat came with!) may not fit in the outboard aperture. You will get horrible mileage because the prop is too small. When you go to sell the boat, no one else will want to have to deal with the system you have set up, so you will take a major price hit (8-10K?) to move it in the market. It would probably be better to fix the inboard the boat came with now, so that you can at least use it, than to pay for an outboard now, to put in, AND later, to take out.

Using U-clamps to attach a small square of star-board or similar plastic to the rail makes a good mount for a dinghy outboard. It is lighter than the full-bore unit you would need to push a C&C 34 as an auxiliary, and would be further inboard so that it would cause the stern to settle less. If you have to, you can use the dinghy as a tugboat until the diesel is fixed.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 08:23   #5

Boat: C&C Trawler 37ft.
Would agree with most of what psk says; however, a sailboat power prop works well.
I had lost my old Farryman for the second time so decided to try the outboard route. The Douglass sails quite well and I managed to bring her back a fair distance hip towing with a 2hp Honda, after I lost the motor the first time, then spent the rest of the summer engineless.
The transom mounted Tohatsu 9.8 pushes well but struggles if the boat is pitching much. I will have to mount a step at the bottom of the bracket to more easily raise the motor, and it's best to use a lifeline and harness when balanced on the end of the platform,raising the motor.
Once I get the time,from being a trawlerer ?, I will start evaluating a repower.
Kawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 08:58   #6

Thnx Kawan,

Was think along the same as you for the 2.5 angle thingy.
PSK, makes good points. I just don't want an inboard.
More stow is vital.

Will keep you informed. This project starts in a couple weeks after I get back to St John.

Thnx
Byph
Old 17-04-2011, 09:07   #7

So far so ood. Thnx for the ideas and cautions.
WIll keep u'll informed... as to the progress and 'user design errors.
Old 17-04-2011, 12:09   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

If I have Googled the right boat...........

.....and the stern slopes like that - no personal experiance, but have seen the odd O/b fitted on rails / tramlines so that the whole engine (and bracket) slides down - not just the usual cantilever bracket.

Not sure how it works in practice - whether it's gravity on the way down and brute strength on the way up? - or something more sophisticated......like a pulley
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 17:14   #9

Yep, thats me' boat design. Thnx for the info. I saw a slider wizamagoozeee bracket that will need a 2.5 inch aluminum flange to off set the transom angle. Everyone has been a great help. Byph

Tags
c&c, c&c 34, outboard