Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2024, 17:25   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Opinions on this boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot2 View Post
My wife and I have narrowed our boat search to Hylas 46's and Tayana 48's. We are looking for a blue water cruiser with a pullman berth and bow head in addition to a walk around master.

It needs to be a cutter with good tankage and blue water manners.

I just came across this one and it seems like a jewel. What are your thoughts? It seems to be a little light on tankage and the cockpit seems a little small. Other than those very minor gripes, it seems perfect.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...ckpit-9222479/
Roxy is for sale.
380 gallons diesel
280 water
Many features. Look on Yachtworld
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3881937
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 18:02   #17

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Roxy is for sale.
380 gallons diesel
280 water
Many features. Look on Yachtworld
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3881937
She's lovely. You've done an amazing job as custodian.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 17:18   #18

Boat: TAYANA 48 DS - Koh Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot2 View Post
My wife and I have narrowed our boat search to Hylas 46's and Tayana 48's. We are looking for a blue water cruiser with a pullman berth and bow head in addition to a walk around master.

It needs to be a cutter with good tankage and blue water manners.

I just came across this one and it seems like a jewel. What are your thoughts? It seems to be a little light on tankage and the cockpit seems a little small. Other than those very minor gripes, it seems perfect.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...ckpit-9222479/
Looks good, very similar under-body as Bob Perry likes to design.
I owned a Tayana 48DS for 13 years, just sold it. A great ocean boat: I sailed her up and down the CA coast, to Mexico and with the Pacific Cup to Hawaii and back. She is not a racer but a safe and comfortable cruising boat. Made it through some nasty storms just fine. We carried 160G of fuel, and 250G of water. My wife thinks she has the best shower compartment in the industry.

The Hylas 49 is very similar, a bit less wide and therefore faster. Both are great boats.
I am still mourning . . .
wolfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 00:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kello View Post
Absolutely lovely, I can see the asking price, but grabs me as a family/friends/party-friendly "bay boat", not one I'd want for extended/numerous offshore journeys.
Cockpit size is good, seats look long enough to sleep on. The curved sides in the cockpit wheel well will be uncomfortable to brace your feet on during steep tacks/rough weather.
Keel is a looong way from the rudder, so either the prop is also a looong way from the rudder or the prop shaft is loong, personally I dislike both. Rudder only has a partial skeg, not for me for offshore.
Isn't obvious if the keel is bolted on or fully encapsulated, long-term offshore I would only want fully encapsulated.
Engine looks like a b!tch to work on, not your problem if the people you pay to work on it do good work.
Just my personal opinions, and I only have a few thousand offshore km under my keel. Regardless, given a choice between my Good Olde Boat and that beautiful boat, I choose mine.
I have around 30,000nm off shore experience with my 1991 Halberg Rasey 45. It has a very similar underbody with the fin keel and spade hung rudder. I always felt very safe. I wouldn't get too hung up on not having a full keel with a keel hung rudder as the trade off is that you need 20knts of wind to go anywhere. Sometimes it is more important to have at least some speed to get out of the way of weather than having complete solidity for running aground. ( My HR could achieve 8knts with 11knts of wind on a close reach.) That said since I live on Moreton Bay in Australia I have run aground several times (we have a saying here that if a captain on Moreton Bay says they never run aground either they have no experience or their lying! :-) ) I have also sailed for 2.5 days of with wind speed of 55 knts + gusts, with no issues.
I have also read comments in here regarding no sea berths in the salon. (The solon is the best place for sea berths as the motion is least here) It looks to me that the settee is long enough between curves to be a sea berth. I also read that the chairs are useless..... I also had chairs similar to this and I thought they were one of the best features, as not only were they great in harbour but they were also great on a port tack and down wind. I often slept in these chairs whilst passage making.
I also don't get the comment from someone regarding the location of the stove. Any gimbled stove is going to be hard to stand in front of on a particular tack. (they don't gimble them front to back!) This is what the bar in front of it is for. You should also add a strap to support you on the opposite tack and follow standard passage cooking practices such as wearing foulies while cooking and using pressure cookers etc. While I personally prefer the galley layout shown in the floor plan the one shown in pictures is my second preference as what you are looking for is places to brace yourself whilst doing the various cooking activities.
Anyway I could go on... but my impression is that this is a great blue water boat!
t.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:32   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

A fifty foot vessel would seem to be able to allow for enough space to stow necessities without covering the deck with boxes and hanging those "saddlebags" on the rails. That big box covered cockpit looks cumbersome too. There's a beautiful boat under all those comforts for sitting at the dock.
Old 02-04-2024, 17:53   #21

I've got a Taswell49. PM if you have questions.
Mike
SigaSiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat