Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 21:23   #91

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Ocean Crossing - How Small Is Too Small ?

There are many stories of people crossing oceans in very small craft.

In my mind, the criteria should not be who did it and survived, but rather who did it and choose to do it in the same craft again?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48   #92
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

In anchorages in the West Indies, we saw some (not a lot) small boats (9 meters or so, with low freeboard) that had obviously made the jump from Europe. Most were crewed by a young couple--late twenties in age. Most were from Denmark, Sweden or Norway. They all gave the impression of being very competent, self-sufficient sailors having a grand adventure.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40   #93

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I bought a Nimble 20 for something to play with a few years ago. The old guy who sold it to me bought it new in Florida in 87, sailed it all over the Bahammas, down to the Virgin Islands & back to Fla. Put it on a trailer & took it home to Umatilla, Oregon - way up the Columbia river. His next trip was down the Columbia to the ocean & up the coast to Desolation Sound, BC & back to Umatilla. He was over 65 when he did this.
Great little boat but after a few days - you tend to get stiff & sore. I'm sure the boat would make it across the pond but I doubt that I could ever walk again once I got to the other side!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47   #94

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post

Great little boat but after a few days - you tend to get stiff & sore. I'm sure the boat would make it across the pond but I doubt that I could ever walk again once I got to the other side!
Thats a point that many thinking "small" should think about.. Stories have arisin about those crossing oceans in a Canoe and then there is the guy that crossed the pacific in a Potter.. and if crossing oceans is the only thought, then an airplane is the best plan, gets you there faster, cost less and is probably much safer, ..
Your boat becomes your life when you cut the lines to sail off across oceans or around the world, you eat, sleep, and play in that space..along with other things..
so when you pick the boat, large or small, ask yourself if you can live your life while traveling in that boat..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59   #95

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think any argument that there is a boat that is too small to cross an ocean has been disproved many times by the people who set records for smallest boat crossings. If the design is right, then the size is determined by how uncomfortable you are willing to be. I met Hugo Vihlen one time. He didn't seem crazy but this is a man who crossed the Atlantic twice in boats shorter than he was tall. He had April Fool in his back yard at the time and he gave me a tour. It looked safe but really uncomfortable!
I just took my kids to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA this weekend. They have April Fool on display in the International Small Boat Center there. I had never heard of Hugo Vihlen or April Fool before that. What an amazing character he must be. The boat looked ridiculously small, even next to all the other small boats from around the world.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:51   #96

Boat: a sailing boat

This image belongs in many places of our Forum.

http://www.yrvind.com/present_projec...09/sailing.jpg

Not too small.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing