Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 23:25   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Newbie boat buying process?

I live in the Houston area and looking to buy my first boat. I started sailing a few months ago and been doing charters out of Kemah and playing the the bay. Looking at boats (small 27- 30), most boats Im interested in are in FL, NC or DE. I'm kinda eyeballing the Island Packet 27's. I want something small thats a good coast cruiser up and down Texas coast (no much interest in playing in Galveston Bay) and eventually to the Yucatan and across to Grand Cayman.

Whats the standard process to buying a non local boat? Go look at them, find one I like, have a survey, etc? Should I involve a local broker (out of Kemah?) at all. Plan would be to have it shipped to Kemah via truck, so thats why I asked about getting a local involved. I dont know anything about having a boat trucked and never bought one before.

Thoughts?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:56   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Newbie boat buying process?

Get a broker to represent you. Won't cost you anything, as he will be paid from the listing broker's commission after you buy.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying