Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 10:25   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
New Cruising Boat - Pogo 50

Have just spotted this one among this year's ARC fleet:

Pogo 50 | Chantier naval STRUCTURES, constructeur des voiliers POGO (site officiel) :: STRUCTURES Shipyard, construction of sailing boat POGO (Oficial website)

Anybody interested in how she performs may follow the fleet on ARC tracker.

From the dockside, she looks like THE dream boat for a couple on the coconut milk run. Alas, protection from elements is next to nil - you will get very sunburnt (and very wet) in no time ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 11:37   #2

Boat: Boereal 44
Re: New Cruising Boat - Pogo 50

Very nice looking design. The European designers are really into the modern cruising boats and have a growing market in this type of boat in Europe anyway. As new boat designs go most of the European boats are affordable for a new boat.
Many small semi custom shops building between 6 and 20 boats a year and selling them all. Allures, Ovni, Boreal and Pogo to name a few.

Some day maybe we can have an American market for such boats but I think we are still a ways off.

Anyone know the reason why N. American designers and shops are not going this route?

Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:03   #3

Hot Stuff

I've seen one of their smaller cruising models(I think) in person up close - very attractive & racy looking + the sailors had big smiles. If they could successfully package the performance with some comfort It would be a winner.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:29   #4

Here Goes

Found one of the shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	50149  
Old 23-11-2012, 13:09   #5

Re: Hot Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
I've seen one of their smaller cruising models(I think) in person up close - very attractive & racy looking + the sailors had big smiles. If they could successfully package the performance with some comfort It would be a winner.
You may have seen either a Pogo 8.5, 10 or else the cruising (or racing) version of Pogo 40.

There is plenty of comfort: roll downwind is practically non-existent, upwind work is acceptable (notice the narrow entry and small volume forward) and - it is a very beamy 50 footer - plenty of space down below!

As regards their 'European'-ness then I would rather say they are French. Yes, France, EU; but not at all too easy to find many similar designs outside of France.

b.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:00   #6

U R Right

Comparing my photos to YW, it looks like the 10.5.
They are a little pricey but sexy is never cheap
Old 24-11-2012, 09:07   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Need a better name for the North American market. "Pogo" is not something I want to be doing on a boat.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:20   #8

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Many small semi custom shops building between 6 and 20 boats a year and selling them all. Allures, Ovni, Boreal and Pogo to name a few.
And don't forget RM...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 09:44   #9

I do not know about the new '50, but the '40 (cruising) was never all that pricey. At least you get a slightly different Bavaria to brag around ;-).

b.
Old 25-11-2012, 08:38   #10

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
I do not know about the new '50, but the '40 (cruising) was never all that pricey. At least you get a slightly different Bavaria to brag around ;-).

b.
You call a Pogo a slightly different Bavaria? Do you also call a Porsche a slightly different Volkswagen? :-)
Old 25-11-2012, 09:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
You call a Pogo a slightly different Bavaria?(...)
Yes, I did.

And back to the facts, the new Pogo 50 seems to be doing fine for now in the ARC - they are amongst the pack of the leading boats. It was an upwind start and now they are bashing. We will have to wait till conditions are back to normal to see the actual cruising potential of the design.

b.
Old 26-11-2012, 00:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes, I did.

And back to the facts, the new Pogo 50 seems to be doing fine for now in the ARC - they are amongst the pack of the leading boats. It was an upwind start and now they are bashing. We will have to wait till conditions are back to normal to see the actual cruising potential of the design.

b.
I think that in the ARC the Pogo is at a bit of a disadvantage, as it is a design that excels in light airs, but that's when the ARC fleet switches to motoring...
I just picked up the December issue of "Voile Magazine", and they have a mini test of the POGO 50. They were averaging better than 10 knots on a reach in about 20knots of wind, without having any worries about losing control. Another POGO they tested, the 10.50 did 9 knots in 12 knots true, and would substantially go over its hull speed on a reach. These boats are fast, and there are quite a few interesting small French yards turning them out. There's JPK, that with the JPK38 is also offering a fast cruiser, and there is IDB Marine with the Malango, which looks quite interesting...
Old 26-11-2012, 01:04   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

With 8.9 tons light ship displacement, carbon rig, and a 3.5 meter deep apparently canting keel, I would guess they are fast!! And not just in light air! That boat has more than a little resemblance to an Open 60. That boat would be loads of fun to sail, but I would not want something like for a cruising boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 01:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
With 8.9 tons light ship displacement, carbon rig, and a 3.5 meter deep apparently canting keel, I would guess they are fast!! And not just in light air! That boat has more than a little resemblance to an Open 60. That boat would be loads of fun to sail, but I would not want something like for a cruising boat.
The POGO 50 doesn't have a canting keel. It has a keel that pivots back to reduce draft. Anyway, it's a nice demonstration again of how French seem to have a quite different idea what makes a good cruising boat...

If I could afford one, I'd get one straightaway. Right now I'm looking at the Malango 9.99 and the RM 1060, both boats that are fast and fun too, and which I can actually afford to own (now I only need to make time...)
Old 26-11-2012, 03:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not sure about the canting keel. I think Pogo 50 will make a great cruising boat for the most typical cruising routes - mostly downwind and very often in light airs. What scares me though cruisingwise is a complete lack of protection from sun, rain and from flying spray.

A JP54 is also on the ARC and one can see how they perform against each other.

b.

Tags
cruising