Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2018, 20:57   #1

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Need help deciding to move the boat to San Diego from Michigan

Hi all,
Well due to good fortune and a really smart (not to mention beautiful wife), we moved from Michigan to San Diego this spring. We've been getting the house settled and just enjoying ourselves a bit getting to know the area. The original plan was to move Bombay our 36 ft boat this fall.

Here's where I need to help making sure I'm not doing something really dumb. We bought the boat for a killer deal in Michigan because it needed a fair amount of work having been on the hard for 5 years owners were in their 80's. We paid less than $10k for the boat. Currently the boats engine leaks a bit and I've got an injection pump issue to work on. The bilge flooded to the floorboards because the storage yard shoved me under a tree and the leaves plugged my cockpit drains in the 6 months it sat there. So I need a new battery bank too because it flooded the batteries and drained them . I also need to address the bottom paint as it has fresh water VC17 on it that needs to be completely removed in order to put an ablative paint for saltwater on. Also all the thru hulls are industrial steam bronze gate valves (first owner was a boiler maker/ plumber in Milwaukee).

So I can get a mooring in San Diego Harbor for an entire year for what I was paying for only 6 months of use in Michigan. Sailing all year sounds kinda fun. I'm looking at anywhere between $4k to $7k to ship it, am I crazy? Adding the paint and bottom blasting $2500, batteries $500, and eventual thru hull replacements $1500 I'm going to spend over $5k just on maintenance. Plus all my deck hardware is chromed bronze, which is original so its mostly just bronze now and I'm not too sure how saltwater is going to affect my sweetwater queen lol.

How worried should I be bringing an old freshwater boat to the salt? How is it keeping a boat in San Diego or California in general? Does your bilge have to be spotless? I've always used oil soak pads and bilge snakes to keep my 45 year old Westerbeke W30 from making a mess. I don't have a float switch bilge because I always check before turning it on, I don't want to discharge oily bilge water. Plan is to build an engine pan as it doesn't have one currently. How bad is it out here? I don't want to loose my boat but I don't want to leave it in Michigan either I'm dying here with no friends and no boat...

Tags
boat, san diego