Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 06:09   #31

Re: Moving our sailboat from Florida to Michigan

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how best to connect with deadheaded haulers. Our first quote on trucking was $14,200 and we're willing to pay that to a qualified mover, but wonder if there are pricing efficiencies that we're missing. Could spotting a deadheaded hauler be one of those? If so, do we have to wait until the last minute to connect with these?
iLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:51   #32

Boat: Corbin 39

I'm guessing that empty truck whipping down the highway for home will be a small part of the $14,000. Plus you still have to have it loaded and unloaded.

Worry about getting the job done properly with the mast still in one piece. I remember a friend ordering a brand new 3/4 ton racer from the factory.The boat was in such bad shape when it arrived he didn't let them unload it from the truck. You don't want to know what the mast looked like.

Get references from everyone who will be touching the boat. It's not any different than hiring someone to take it by water. Though you will have a lot less time to worry.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17   #33

Boat: 40 Morgan Classic Ketch

I used Winston Trucking out of Sealy Texas, this past summer moving my 40 footer from the Keys to Vermont. Great people. Jonathan, the driver, took great care of my boat.
Mikhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03   #34

Boat: Catalina 27 TR
Wink Re: Moving our sailboat from Florida to Michigan

Ok yes you need a honest hauler one that if you have time is bringing a boat down and brings yours back, I would say you can be the chase car, next I would say permitting and such 6K range is in line! We have been using Great Lakes Transport and Jim Bert (owner)Dose one dam great job with his air ride trailers not straight axle rig's , you will see him and his son Mike at the boat show moving the units others don't touch! Dose not hurt give him the details and let him work on it? Brad & Linda
Great Lakes Marine Services (Grafton, WI)
dive7mmwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:01   #35

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLean View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how best to connect with deadheaded haulers. Our first quote on trucking was $14,200 and we're willing to pay that to a qualified mover, but wonder if there are pricing efficiencies that we're missing. Could spotting a deadheaded hauler be one of those? If so, do we have to wait until the last minute to connect with these?

Last summer we cruised a similar distance on the left coast. It was a grand adventure with countless AH -HAAH moments. With all of the intricacies of your contemplated relocation , I see the potential for a similar experience. I understand life's circumstances often do not align to exploit this opportunity.

That said, I would recommend contacting your selling broker or Beneteau directly for transporter recommends as your Benny is so fresh and I believe they transport the west coast deliveries cross country for boat shows and inventory. Beneteau may even be able to exploit their deadhead situations.

If you use either party, broker or Beneteau as project manager, you will have someone else with a vested interest in getting it done right.

You already have an investment in this vessel that dwarfs most of the responders to this thread. You don't need six months of trucker, yard and insurance company phone calls.

If you do find the time for an excellent adventure, keep us informed!!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 14:13   #36

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

STAY AWAY FROM ED PERRIN & GLOBAL YACHT HAULING (or whatever name he is going by now)! (Yes, I'm shouting!)

You might think you are getting a good price because he is from Michigan, but read about him first:

https://sites.google.com/site/global...ht-Hauling-Inc

There are a lot of good, honest truckers to hire though.

Tags
florida, sail, sailboat