Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2012, 18:31   #1

Boat: 2003 Nordic Tug 32+
Moving Our Boat to SF

We are moving our boat to San Francisco Bay. We have 2 marinas in mind Richmond marina bay and Richmond at brickyard marina. Any help from our SF sailors would be helpful.
gmcairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 19:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: moving our boat to SF

Brickyard cove gets you to the bay quicker sailing, but It might be pretty full. Though I've not been by there in a while. Its Nice and lots O racers are there.

Marina Bay, to me anyway was nicer though 2 more miles to the bay. Though most of the way was a reach so I was happy.

At Marina Bay D or E docks are the ones to be at. I like E better as the showers were nicer, but there is only one shower in each side, So guys like D better as there are two showers there.

E and F is not as nice and the parking lot is not as safe, in my mind anyway as E.. More liveaboards on E I think. More larger boats on D

Maintenance at marina bay was an issue with the water or power off now and then due to breaks / shorts. Think they got the E dock electrical replaced, so its probably fine now.

Access to the highway is a bit better at Marina Bay.

Marina Bay is right on the bay trail, so walking, biking is big there. You can go to Emeryville via bicycle from Marina bay. a few restaurants there too.

Like Berkeley, both Marina Bay and Brickyard cove can get breezy in the summer with 20-25 knots every afternoon in the summer. The outer slips on E should be avoided due to chop in the large harbor. D is better protected from chop. Unlike Berkeley, outside the harbor is protected by a long jetty for the Richmond ship channel

Oh the entrance to marina bay was just dredged as it was getting a bit skinny at LLW. Think its at 9' llw now. Harbor is 18-20' LLW so not an issue.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 19:46   #3

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
Re: moving our boat to SF

i second the above, i wasat marina bay recently for 6 months, really nice palce, I was on E dock. I fon't think the fiddifernt in time to the bay really is that much. I do not think you could go wrong with either place honestly. I am assume brickyard is more expensive?

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 19:29   #4

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt
Re: Moving Our Boat to SF

I was in Brickyard Cove and loved it! Quaint, quiet and clean. Great sailing into my slip and out. Sailmaker right there, quaint cafe and a big lovely cat at the marina office. I have been everywhere but this is the most private place I have ever been at. LOVED IT!
Now getting ready to commishion a new boat in Clearlake area in Texas. Zero privacy, noisey Boardwalk, big difference. Would go back in a second, no question.

Bill
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 19:57   #5

Boat: 2003 Nordic Tug 32+
Thanks for the help from everyone. We put our boat in Richmond Marina Bay Yacht Marina but we are on the wait list for the Brickyard. Looks like it could be 6 months before a slip opens up.
gmcairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:47   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Re: Moving Our Boat to SF

Congratulations on your move! I've done the same thing years ago (from Pittsburg) after I got tired sailing through Delta, San Pablo all the time...
Richmond is an excellent location.