Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 13:16   #16

Boat: 1998 Moody 40
Re: Mooring choices in Narragansett Bay?

Point Judith Marina
Home Page - Point Judith Marina
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 13:37   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Take a look at Pirate Cove in Portsmouth. Excellent small family run boatyard with well maintained moorings. I kept my 55' boat there for several summers. I still stop every June on my way north to Maine for a haul for bottom paint and whatever. Last year they replaced a cutlass bearing. They know sailboats. Substantially less expensive than the places closer to Newport with, I believe, better quality.

Pirate Cove is just 1/8 mile from a Rt 24 exit and is 30 minutes closer drive than Newport to both Boston Logan airport and TF Green. On a summer weekend, Newport traffic jams can be horrendous.

Sailing, it's a straight protected shot out the Sakonnet River to Buzzards Bay. Coming home beating into a nasty summer SW wind, you'll love turning into the protection of the Sakonnet River instead of another 2 hour slog up to Newport. Unfortunately, if you mast is over 65' you won't be able to go north from Pirate Cove to the rest of Narraganset bridge as there is a bridge at the north end of the harbor. You'll have to go out the Sakonnet and back in at Newport.

Look at Bristol. It's a lovely town.But the harbor is wide open to the prevailing SW wind and it can be quite uncomfortable many summer afternoons on the morning.

Home - Pirate Cove Marina
Thought the control height on the old bridge was 61'? My mast is 64 and I can't get down there anymore, last time I went at dead low tide it took my antenna off. I'm a little more chubby than in my youth, the wife was not happy hauling my rear end up the mast.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 19:16   #18

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

Try Herreshoff Marine in Bristol
Bill whitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 19:56   #19

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Hi I am from Ohio also, I am moored at Direcktor Robinhood Marine in Maine
Not sure if you want to come this far north.
I am about hundred yards off dock (the 41' Yawl) Blue hull the one on mooring in the middle. Sitting in 30' of water. Only a short sail to the coast and Boothbay, and Bar Harbour to the north, Bath and Brunswick to the south. It is well protected mooring and a beautiful area.
If you look close I am actually on board in this shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeymoon on mooring from the air.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	164317  
Old 16-02-2018, 20:46   #20

Life of Reilley. I'm surprised. I've taken a 64' mast through the Tiverton bridge at least a dozen times without excitement - and it's listed as 65' on the charts with no AC comments.

But it's about to be moot. Last September they started taking down the old bridge. By this summer I assume it will be gone. The replacement that opened in 2012 is higher.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 21:47   #21

Well, just thought I'd throw this into the mix. You could take a look at mid-coast Maine - a lot less expensive than RI for just about everything; bigger better cruising areas, tons of gunk holing, lots of friendly helpful locals, delicious lobsta and seafood, etc. I hailed from Narragansett and sailed Cape Cod to NYC for 10 years and coastal Maine out of Penobscot Bay for 14. On a beautiful summer weekend where in Narragansett Bay you could walk across the bay on boats, in Penobscot Bay you might see a handful of sails. Also fewer current hassles along the coast than from the LIS race to Buzzards Bay. I'll take Maine. You probably have radar so AM fog shouldn't be a problem. Check out from Belfast eastward. Highly recommend Atlantic Boatyard in Brooklin Maine if you'd like access to Frenchman's Bay and Acadia National Park, and also close to the Wooden Boat campus. Camden is nice but from there south it goes from $/$$ to $$$/$$$$. Some smaller marinas are the exception in Portland. Happy sailing.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 13:59   #22

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

Herreshoff Marine has heavy duty moorings, a nice, close dingy dock and a great location near downtown Bristol with a lot of amenities. Very secure for leaving your boat. It is open to the southwest but not dangerously. Nice museum and reasonable rates short and long term. Getting there up the bay is no hassle going with the current. Avoids the crush in Newport with great access to services and supplies. Beautiful bike path.
Old 17-02-2018, 15:53   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

Echo the Dutch Harbor. Uner! 1 m to Jamestown if you walk. Easy. Cheap ferry to Newport. Shuttle to shore by the marina- just a tip. Protected. Just what you are looking for. And, a fish shack like a truck for quick returning meals/ samdwhiches. Spent a month on Narragansett and this is where to go. NOT Newport.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 09:47   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Life of Reilley. I'm surprised. I've taken a 64' mast through the Tiverton bridge at least a dozen times without excitement - and it's listed as 65' on the charts with no AC comments.

But it's about to be moot. Last September they started taking down the old bridge. By this summer I assume it will be gone. The replacement that opened in 2012 is higher.
They can't take the old one down fast enough form me.
After I knocked the antenna off a few years ago I haven't really chanced it, I thought I was close enough on that one. It's tough to judge clearance when your on the deck, i thought I was clear that time but was apparently closer than I thought. I had been through many times prior with no incident.
As for the speed of the demolition of the old bridge, I'll wait and see, often times the initial stages of a demo project go quickly, but there's always an unexpected fly in the ointment. It's difficult to take down an old structure in a well trafficked seaway, I certainly don't envy the guys out there working through the winter.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring