Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 10:22   #1

Moody 46 - major refit experience

I recently conducted a major refit/ modernization of our M46, TomTom, and would like to pass along the experience. The refit was primarily focused on replacing all running and standing rigging, those being 20 years old.

In addition, I had the mast shortened by 18 inches, from 63.5 ft to 62 ft. This was because we want to get safely under ICW bridges if the weather is bad outside. Our previous trip down the ICW was nerve-wracking, getting under some bridges. Of course, this caused me to trim the mainsail (loose-footed, in-mast furling) and the yankee jib, from which we get most of our power.

After the mast was pulled, an inspection resulted in replacing the windex and wind speed/direction sensor, as well as replacing old wiring for VHF, TV and tri-color/anchor light. The anchor light itself was upgraded to LED. Bearings for the mainsail mandrel were totally worn out and replaced. Also added a 25 watt speaker on the first spreader for a foghorn.

Interestingly, when the shrouds were released, there was some of "curling" in them - rigger stated we were lucky the rig didn't crash down on a heavy load as curling is indicative of a damaged shroud.

All of the mast/rigging work was accomplished by East Coast Marine Rigging at Herrington Harbour North, near Deale, MD. Stephen Metzler and his crew did an enormously complex job in a highly professional manner - I can't recommend them enough. We were in constant communication throughout.

Instead of trimming the yankee, which was many years old, we elected to acquire a new 130 genoa from Quantum Sails. They also cut the mainsail, taking out a wedge from the clew to the head. Initial trials have shown sailing performance is about the same as before, though I reserve judgement on that. The larger genoa seems to be compensating for the slightly smaller main.

Finally, I upgraded the VHF radio from a 20 year-old Raymarine to a new Standard Horizon GX-6000 with wireless RAM. Very pleased with that. Work was performed by Ryan McQueeny and crew from MTS, also very professional.

So this was a lotta work and a lotta money, but we have a good solid rig now that can go anywhere. Planning trips to Maine and the Bahamas now.
Don't waste wind! Sail fast, live slow. dt
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 19:12   #2

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: Moody 46 - major refit experience

Nice details and info Captain Dave, especially informative about shortening the stick.
No offense intended, but you did a rig refit...a major refit in our books involves removal and replacement of an engine and gen set, ripping out and reinstalling a galley and at least one head, removing a teak deck and installing a new mast, complete standing and running rigging and a new leisurefurl boom with all new sails. You got off easy my friend!! Just trying to make you feel better!!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, refit