Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 16:00   #316

Boat: PETERSON 44
Zee
I drilled out a shaft log once.cssiled old wooden boats my gut is the right fix is to drive the old log out. That's probably a good 40 hours in the hard. Then a new bronze tube I would guess $6500 plus the haul and land time. You would get the right fix. You need to risk asses the idea of a glass over on the tube. If it's well tab to the hull and the beam this could serve okay. I almost regretted suggesting this earlier. Having thought a bit it's not a bad solution just not the beat you get to decide where the weakness lies my opinion if you do it well the weak spot is where the tube meets the current stuffing box. So long ad the box is well its a reasonable option
Old 28-01-2011, 16:21   #317
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
stuffing box is dead. needs new one. ther eare alternative solutions... -- yes i ate my damicecreamandiamready to think..LOL....
i can sail this way with a plug in her butt. friends greet me and already once offered a tow to their dock--i will reassess this option.
i can have it fixed awesomely inthe water with lasdrop and fibreglass the tubo -- said to me was a more than 10 yr fix so far.....we see..or some other kinda system i can afford with a diver is easy --with plugs a friend in leaky teaky said...so is a possible option.
Old 28-01-2011, 16:28   #318

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
me thinks you oughta just glass it n go.
find a cheaper yard in ol' messico.
hahaha that rhymes.
Old 28-01-2011, 16:59   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
me thinks you oughta just glass it n go.
find a cheaper yard in ol' messico.
hahaha that rhymes.
am leaning more and more toward this as an alternative--- nothing here is withinormalnrange for pricing-- i have to do something--- glassing is a perfectly aceptable way to go , according to a fella on leaky teaky -- he did his....sooooooooooooo---with a good weather eye, and minimal use of engine-- dont really need it except to avoid boats in mooring..and a coupla other spots.. water and fuel dock.....into mazatlan--winds come up now-- awesome-- i was advised these get to 25-30 kts--perfect for sailing this big gurl...and we were gonna sail as much as possible anyway-- so what is the big deal...will speak to diver mon..
rofl.
that what dont kill us makes us strongr......
Old 28-01-2011, 17:14   #320

pirate

Yeah, I hope to meet you out there somewhere.I would go now but I still have bills to pay off. Hopefully by the end of summer.
Old 28-01-2011, 17:19   #321

coool..looking forward to meeting and sailing with many of ye--is a truly small world out here...and there...
Old 28-01-2011, 17:32   #322

pirate

how long will it take to get from sin diego to mazatlan? and how long do you plan on staying in the gulf?
Old 28-01-2011, 17:40   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
how long will it take to get from sin diego to mazatlan? and how long do you plan on staying in the gulf?
we figger about 20 days to go from sd to maz.. dont know how long to stay there--is dependent on stuff n thangs.....
Old 28-01-2011, 19:28   #324
cruiser

first, off, .... we have to meet... wish i could figure out how...

but, please, let me know how i can facilitate that

second, close your eyes, and pictre me waving my hand over my head... in a I HAVE NO IDEA WTF you are talking about in your quote below? can you let me know what you are referencing...

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Berg... you wanna quick course in glassfibring and how to make your knuckles bleed without trying....ROFL..
Yeah... I know.. easy to shoot my mouth off from Portugal...
Yes it is....

I've seen a couple of pic's but I'm not familiar with boat or system so will stay quiet on the tech side... though it looks like basic hammer n chisel mechanics from here... with a good stick of fast cure epoxy just in case...
Old 28-01-2011, 19:33   #325
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
berg --call me--i will be with mechanix in am, at 1000hrs.
jpey-- we look at this mayhem tomorrow to determine what exactly i need for it as far as parts goes and they need for the rest-- and make this a showcase for htem and us-- will write more tomorrow after i meet with these guys in my boat's exit tubing.....
zee,

please call me or send me your tele number... i cant find it... i have no clue, as I know we talked forever on teh phone back in january, but i cant find it in my 'recent' calls, and they go back to October???
b

but, no zee numbers

sorry, i wanted to talk to you today while i was driving... it was hell btw.. i dont look forward to driving for days after days, and 8+ hours at a stretch..

omg,, my ass hurts, my feet are throbbing...

omg.. not going to be fun

anyways, i will be updating on my thread
Old 28-01-2011, 19:34   #326

pirate

covering the tube and gland in fiberglass.
Old 28-01-2011, 19:47   #327
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
first, off, .... we have to meet... wish i could figure out how...

but, please, let me know how i can facilitate that

second, close your eyes, and pictre me waving my hand over my head... in a I HAVE NO IDEA WTF you are talking about in your quote below? can you let me know what you are referencing...

thanks
Refering to the pictures of the prop shaft tube... tap it with the hammer... sound should give a clue as to solidness along its length... don't want to shove the chisel though... then scrape of the crap with a chisel, clean and degrease with Acetone... if that don't clear your head nothing will... lol. then epoxy, glass, epoxy, glass... just make sure its well wetted each time
but there's better knowledge than mine out there.. I've only done wood and grp..
Dunno if the box can be fitted like that tho...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:06   #328

there is a way to fit a stuffing box of some kind to this fiberglass do-- buti think is lasdrop dripless system.. dont know--i have to ask my other friends in another place online...also they know how much of this tube i need to glass
i think i will try to be a lil gentler than chisel--i have deep fear of blug blug blug.....have some stuff may help clean it up gently but well....and i need to cut the seat support over the packing gland in half so is easily accessible...and move teh 3 man and a boy battery.....
Old 28-01-2011, 20:20   #329
cruiser

hows about plugin' or glassin' it in, (i dont / wouldnt trust a 'plug' unless it is something different then just a piece or tapered wood... something sturdy and guaranteed to not pop off...)

but, what about an outboard?evenm if it is just temporary to get you down south and or even to the other side...

I am guessing that mazatlan or other 'tourist' areas will still be more expensive then the others off the beaten path...???

I still dont understand why all that existing mounting and whatever cant be cut out, and glassed over and made smooth and starting off with a fresh 'palette' and configure it for something mroe newer, and or some other design that has easy to find parts...

as for doing it wet, and having a diver, I can see wehre that will be pricey..... I would most definately suggest hauling her out, and using that money on not only fixing your 'problem; but to look at and evaluate other issues and or do some claening and or painting while she is out... dual use kinda thing...

divers will be getting some serious money.. unless you know someone, but they would not only have to be a diver, but a mechanic, and have the tools to do the work they are doing...

and then on th eother side of the 'coin', are you considering or at least processing the issue of is this boat 'worth it'... can you sell her and get any money and apply that plus whatever yoiu were going to spend on the repairs and get something else?

Yes, i kknow this is extreme and I am sure you and anyone, (I would) be resistant to this consideration... but, as i am on the outside, I would suggest you do give this some thought...

I am guessing you may have to downsize... and or worst case, take the money you get for sellin git and the repair money, and fix up your smaller boat..

my pc is lagging really bad, i need to reboot... bbiab
Old 28-01-2011, 21:49   #330

fiberglass the tube.... find good fishing fleet ,non touristy yard... both are yes, and then get this job done. i like that.
onthe other hand , with proper water abeyance systems in use, this is doable in water.... sooo.....will speak to diver monday. and i will continue to speak with my friends as we get closer to the deadline...
Closed Thread