Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 07:18   #31

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Mast Climbing Rigs - Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
There was a brand new SWitec mast lift ( like a rope operated chainblock) on my boat when I bought it, nice looking gadget but my mast is light and I have no need or desire to go aloft ......but it worked great to lift out my MD2030 from the engine room.
It works well for other tasks too, see picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mastlift zum Bergen.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	270419  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 15:07   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

I like the way she uses the mainsail and it's slides as a sort of ladder to get up the mast.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 17:13   #33
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Late to the topic, as usual

But, I use a Mast Mate and I am quite happy with it. Of course I was a Lineman for the power company for more than a few years so climbing things swinging about is second nature.

A few observations;
1. The steps Do get squeezed flat if stowed rolled up but if you hoist the ladder a few hours early, in the sun, they relax down nicely.

2. Do use the mast slugs or slides and pull the ladder tight. I use the Cunningham and pull it tight with the sail winch.

3. I use a belt similar to a lineman's belt since I am used to it. it is possible to also use a seat if your going to be up there for a while. Just take the seat up with you, rig it in place and sit down, I do this when doing those endless masthead chores.

4. Do Not work closer to the mast than you need to, keep your knees away from the mast and let your legs and hips take the load, that is what they are made for. Hugging the mast will be uncomfortable and get you smacked in the face from wakes, swells or the like.

5. Use shoes or boots with some sole support, your arches with thank you. Move your weight from foot to foot occasionally to prevent your feet from "going to sleep".

6. Always, ALWAYS, use a jumar, a Prussik knot or an ascender device for safety and always be extra careful coming down.

Hope this helps anyone having problems with the webbing mast steps.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 17:57   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN View Post
Late to the topic, as usual

But, I use a Mast Mate and I am quite happy with it. Of course I was a Lineman for the power company for more than a few years so climbing things swinging about is second nature.

A few observations;
1. The steps Do get squeezed flat if stowed rolled up but if you hoist the ladder a few hours early, in the sun, they relax down nicely.

2. Do use the mast slugs or slides and pull the ladder tight. I use the Cunningham and pull it tight with the sail winch.

3. I use a belt similar to a lineman's belt since I am used to it. it is possible to also use a seat if your going to be up there for a while. Just take the seat up with you, rig it in place and sit down, I do this when doing those endless masthead chores.

4. Do Not work closer to the mast than you need to, keep your knees away from the mast and let your legs and hips take the load, that is what they are made for. Hugging the mast will be uncomfortable and get you smacked in the face from wakes, swells or the like.

5. Use shoes or boots with some sole support, your arches with thank you. Move your weight from foot to foot occasionally to prevent your feet from "going to sleep".

6. Always, ALWAYS, use a jumar, a Prussik knot or an ascender device for safety and always be extra careful coming down.

Hope this helps anyone having problems with the webbing mast steps.

Cool.

Try rolling it the other way. The steps should be semi flat but open downwards and ready to climb immediately. I got this wrong a few times.
Old 23-01-2023, 18:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The first three points are what slows me down going up..

My ladder is stored in a pile. When I'm through using it, I grab it up in my arms and throw it below.

This means on the way up I have to spread out the steps with my feet or hands on the way up.

So far I haven't tensioned the ladder at the bottom.

I've used my thick sole boots and old business Rockport shoes but since I had to untangle steps going up didn't notice too much difference.

Hands around the mast always. No gloves.

It gets easier with practice. So far I've been up 4X.

Next will experiment with a harness and backup device to hold me attached to the halyard if a problem occurred before I start unhooking stays etc where I'll need both hands

Take the time to roll it flat the correct way!! I am also impatient, but I swear to you, it is worth the OCD on this. Really. Every time. Use 4 small lashings to keep the coil flat.

Tension it 2x body weight. Deck shoes.

Old 23-01-2023, 18:20   #36

See how the 3rd and 4th steps are buckled up? It was coiled incorrectly.

Old 27-01-2023, 06:59   #37

Boat: Downeaster 38

I have mast steps and use them and the Mast Climber with the ascender as a safety and to sit when I get where I'm going. It's an excellent system. The mast steps are lightweight plastic and the usefullness far outweighs the weight aloft, I believe.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 07:03   #38

I climbed the mast on my Beneteau 411 this week using the ATN Mastclimber. I'm 73 years old, not terribly fit, but I do walk a lot (I just hit 800 straight days of over 12,000 steps. Obviously, I'm spending too little time on the boat!) Anyhow, I got to the top of the mast easily, if slowly, unassisted, and was able to fix a stuck wind vane, which was considerably higher than the mast. The ATN is simple, robust, easily stowed, and its storage bag clips on to use as a tool carryall. I've found it perfect for this old coot, who enjoys solo problem solving.
bugbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 08:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Take the time to roll it flat the correct way!! I am also impatient, but I swear to you, it is worth the OCD on this. Really. Every time. Use 4 small lashings to keep the coil flat.

Tension it 2x body weight. Deck shoes.

Maybe I'll roll it up correctly one of these days.

In the mean time, I did order an ascender and harness so I can actually work two handed and have a backup connection when climbing
Old 27-01-2023, 08:30   #40

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I use the ascender/ATC-descender system that I saw at https://l-36.com/UltimateMastClimbing.php. The system consists of basic equipment that rock climbers and arborists use. It's similar to the ATN system - but less expensive.

I use one line (halyard) to go up and another one to come down. I've found that it helps to make the ascending line taut. I've also made the foot straps so that I can put my feet on either side of the mast while ascending - which helps steady me and focuses the leg effort on ascending. I need that since my weight/muscle ratio isn't what it used to be.

I augment the Petzl harness with a 'regular' bosun's chair for comfort - relying on the harness as a safety measure and leaving it slightly loose so the blood flow in my legs isn't cut off. I like that I can sit in 'relative' comfort - but I also have the ability to stand to see and work on the top of the mast if I have to.

I sometimes have trouble descending since the prusik sometimes binds too tightly on the descending line - but that is solved by a bit of fiddling with the wraps.

thomm225 - I remember as a kid growing up on the Bay going up the mast on skipjacks and bugeyes by using the mast hoops as a ladder. My uncle would descend by sliding down the sail (making a 'slide' by booming out and raising the topping lift) or the backstay - but I could never bring myself to do either of those.
Old 27-01-2023, 08:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
I use the ascender/ATC-descender system that I saw at https://l-36.com/UltimateMastClimbing.php. The system consists of basic equipment that rock climbers and arborists use. I use one line (halyard) to go up and another one to come down.

I augment the Petzl harness with a 'regular' bosun's chair for comfort - relying on the harness as a safety measure and leaving it slightly loose so the blood flow in my legs isn't cut off. I like that I can sit in 'relative' comfort - but have the ability to stand to see and work on the top of the mast.

I sometimes have trouble descending since the prusik sometimes binds too tightly on the descending line - but that is solved by a bit of fiddling with the wraps.

Thomm225 - I remember as a kid growing up on the Bay going up the mast on skipjacks and bugeyes by using the mast hoops as a ladder. My uncle would descend by sliding down the sail (making a 'slide' by booming out and raising the topping lift) or the backstay - but I could never bring myself to do either of those.
Nice.

There were very few sailboats over near where I grew up along the bay.

We were most all power boat folks (ESVA)

There is a Skipjack though now over at Deep Creek Marina near Onancock. (can be seen in video below) Deep Creek was a town back in the day but now it uses the Onancock post office zip code I guess

The boom is super long.

I found my Bristol 27 there. The depth during low tide is around 2' so if your boat is in the water your keel is in the mud.

Also you had to time your exits and entrances on the tide.

I had to anchor several times just to wait on high tide or something near high tide to get in there

photo of robin lee graham going "up" the mast

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/pois/55439

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rg.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	270624  
Old 27-01-2023, 09:23   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I haven't read thru this thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone else's guidance. I'm a tree climber and a mast climber, and I use much of the same equipment for both, and both are very enjoyable. For mast climbing, I use an arborist saddle, VT Prusik, figure 8 rappel device (check the web, these can be used for ascending and descending) and a couple of nylon slings. This equipment is inexpensive, and once you figure it out, it is easy to use. Going up is similar to the atn process, but coming down is a fast, fun rappel. There are no mechanical teeth to damage your halyards, and this equipment works on a wide range of halyard diameters.
I sometimes looked for excuses to work on the mast, so I could climb.
But remember, climbing can be dangerous. Take it in small steps until you get comfortable with the process. Tom
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 11:18   #43

Boat: O’Day 40

I use the an ATN for climbing mast along with a secondary safety halyard and feel as comfortable as one can 45' up in the air. I once had to free a stuck spinnaker halyard at night while on the backside of Block Island with just a bosun's chair, might have been my most scariest sailing experience ever.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 11:44   #44

Just be sure that whatever rig you chose that you can climb the mast when ascending backwards while wearing stiletto high heels.

Copied from recent CF jokes thread posting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	upmast.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	270642  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 13:04   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Just be sure that whatever rig you chose that you can climb the mast when ascending backwards while wearing stiletto high heels.

Copied from recent CF jokes thread posting.

Damn... I knew I was doing it wrong .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0207.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	270648  

Tags
mast, men