Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2021, 17:29   #1

Boat: Stevens 50
Marinas from S Georgia to S Florida

I am having my boat (Stevens 50) delivered from the NE US to the SE coast of the US where I hope to have some work done on her. I am looking for marina recommendations with the following in mind:

- Able to live aboard at least intermittently at the marina
- Monthly rate that is reasonable

- Solid array of services available: repairs, rigging, installation of systems, etc
- Permits some amount of DIY activity
- Nice community of cruisers and sailors that I can ingratiate myself to and learn from

- Close to an airport of consequence (Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)

- Far enough south that it is comfortable during the day through the winter (Brunswick, GA is probably the furthest north that should be considered)

What I have heard is the following:
:: South Florida (Ft Lauderdale & Miami) has vast array of services, but it tends to be highly variable in cost and quality, and many reputable marinas cater to mega yachts first and we get the scraps.
:: North of Canaveral it's just a bit too cold to be comfortable through winter

Sorry if this is a noob question/thread. I appreciate any intel/wisdom

John
John Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 18:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Marinas from S Georgia to S Florida

The only marina that springs to mind is Beach Marine on the ICW in J'ville Beach, about 10 miles south of the St. Johns River. They allow pretty much everything on your wish list.
The next marina south, about 30 miles, is in St. Augustine, Comanche Cove, where likewise, pretty much everything on your wish list is acceptable, plus they have a travel lift there. Fernandina Beach, about 30 miles to then north of J'ville also has a couple of marina's. One is on the ICW, by the A1A bridge, the other in Egans Creek, but I do not not their names. I believe they both have travel lift service.
Brunswick is also a good spot, they sport a lively liveaboard community, also has a travel lift nearby.
There is little weather difference between Brunswick and St. A. I think any of these will be what you are looking for.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 18:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

I forgot to add, the airport at J'ville, services all these communities. I-95 runs right by the airport, making short work to get to any of these spots.
Old 24-11-2021, 22:27   #4

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Fernandina Beach, about 30 miles to then north of J'ville also has a couple of marina's. One is on the ICW, by the A1A bridge, the other in Egans Creek, but I do not not their names. I believe they both have travel lift service.
The two private marinas in Fernandina Beach(Amelia Island Marina and Tiger Point Marina) are quite restrictive in regards to DIY work on the hard. As far as I recall the municipal marina located downtown does not offer anything on your list and is priced($19.25 per foot monthly) like S. Florida.

Your best bet in this area would be St. Mary's Boat Services just across the FL/GA state line. They are more accommodating to DIYer's and are reasonably priced($10 per foot monthly).
Old 24-11-2021, 22:37   #5

Green Cove Springs marina on St. John river. It's about 30nm from the ocean but hits most of the check marks. Longish drive to JAX though.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/marina...springs-marina
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 05:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Yep, Green Cove Springs Marina would be a good place. They host a fairly large group of people working in their respective boats. It may even provide some hurricane security as it is located inland some ways. They have a huge yard. 100's of boats are hauled out there. It's probably the last DIY yard around. From GCS to the Jax Airport is probably an hour drive.
Old 25-11-2021, 06:06   #7

The two referenced marinas are
Amelia Island Marina it’s on the ICW near the A1A bridge
The other on Evans creek is Tiger Point Marina, which is on the Northerly end of Amelia Island.
Anothe consideration might be Harbortown Marina in Ft Pierce.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 06:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We live in Pompano Beach. I know of no boat yards in this area that allows for live aboard while under repairs.

I suggest Playboy Marine on the Dania Cutoff canal just South of the Fort Lauderdale airport for DIY or hired contractors. Nothing is cheap here. Quality workmanship is pricey.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 10:28   #9

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

The St Marys Boat Works would be my choice. There are over 200 boats in there. A good community of DIY boaters, a very accommodating staff, a machine shop and woodworking shop, and reasonably priced. It is also in a hurricane hole.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 11:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Brunswick is also a good spot, they sport a lively liveaboard community, also has a travel lift nearby.
There is little weather difference between Brunswick and St. A. I think any of these will be what you are looking for.
If your referring to Brunswick Landing Marina..read Active Captains and Yelp for (negative)reviews…they don’t sanitize their reviews like Waterway Guide does ..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 08:41   #11

Thanks for all of the feedback and ideas. some potentially steering me from a bad decision. Does anyone have any experience with Taylor Creek Marina (Fort Pierce)?
Old 26-11-2021, 16:55   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Most marinas in Florida are full this year, and your mast height limits your choices.

Your best bet would be to head out on the zodiac, or rent a boat, and scout out all the canals in Lauderdale. Many property owners just post signs on their dock when they have a slip to rent. Or just head to the Keys and pull out the checkbook. But first check with Riviera Beach marina, they just rebuilt all their slips
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 05:28   #13

Boat: 88 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saylor View Post
I am having my boat (Stevens 50) delivered from the NE US to the SE coast of the US where I hope to have some work done on her. I am looking for marina recommendations with the following in mind:

- Able to live aboard at least intermittently at the marina
- Monthly rate that is reasonable

- Solid array of services available: repairs, rigging, installation of systems, etc
- Permits some amount of DIY activity
- Nice community of cruisers and sailors that I can ingratiate myself to and learn from

- Close to an airport of consequence (Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)

- Far enough south that it is comfortable during the day through the winter (Brunswick, GA is probably the furthest north that should be considered)

What I have heard is the following:
:: South Florida (Ft Lauderdale & Miami) has vast array of services, but it tends to be highly variable in cost and quality, and many reputable marinas cater to mega yachts first and we get the scraps.
:: North of Canaveral it's just a bit too cold to be comfortable through winter

Sorry if this is a noob question/thread. I appreciate any intel/wisdom

John
it might be too far…. but MS Dockside in Carrabelle, FL is a place to consider… they allow DIY and it’s affordable.

good luck!
not_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 05:40   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

it's 38 degrees in Jacksonville this morning. not exactly a tropical paradise but better than many alternatives.
Old 27-11-2021, 09:29   #15

I am concluding that the "Goldy Locks" area is Canaveral south just to north of Ft. Lauderdale. Slip fees and services appear to increase dramatically, like 2X for slip fees, eg. in south Florida relative starting in Ft Lauderdale and winter temps are acceptable. It also looks like there is a bit more availability of contractors. Does this comport with everyone's experience?

Tags
florida, georgia, marinas