Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Lyle Hess 36

Indeed. This is the first Hess I have seen with this keel / skeg config.

Is she a Hess' then?

I would not guess her to be tender - looks beamy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:47   #47

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

need yee be reminded that hess designed the balboas...

not all of his boats are full keelers, so its possible...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:12   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Right. Only asking. I think the keel / skeg config is very good, just not what I have seen in boats like BBC which are otherwise pretty similar to this design above the waterline. Therefore I would expect nautical qualities different than those associated with a BCC type like boat. Sort of like: faster but less load carrying ability, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:00   #49

Boat: Custom

I think the quarter berths will be a bigger advantage than "occasional" with two kids, it will give them private space in port, bright, airy etc, curtain across the front.

There are a lot of options out there, but OZ is different to USA, we are not as spoilt for choice. Most of the options here, that fit the rest of our criteria, are significantly older, generally this comes with issues of wear and tear.

Every boat is a compromise, this one is no exception. At this stage it is less of a compromise than others.

The deck and keel worry me - yes, a Shipwright will answer the deck, and a test sail in a stiff breeze will answer the keel.

Is she perfect? No, Am I?- No, seems like a reasonable match, let's see?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 15:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I think the quarter berths will be a bigger advantage than "occasional" with two kids, it will give them private space in port, bright, airy etc, curtain across the front. There are a lot of options out there, but OZ is different to USA, we are not as spoilt for choice.
Maybe if you just chuck in a sleeping bag it'll be okay but have you ever tried to make a comfortable cot while kneeling on it? Just be aware that's what most QBs require.

On choice, it's true that the US has a bigger range but there's plenty enough here also, and it's very much the buyers' market. Two minutes on Yachthub came up with an Atkins 40 footer with a double and 2 single CABINS in triple diagonal cold molded ply built in 1976 for $20K less than the toffee apple you're looking at.

That would be a far, far superior vessel by every measure and entirely suited to you family setup and plans. Have a break on the Gold Coast and sail it back. It's here: *Used William Atkins for Sale | Yachthub
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:59   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Maybe if you just chuck in a sleeping bag it'll be okay but have you ever tried to make a comfortable cot while kneeling on it? Just be aware that's what most QBs require.

On choice, it's true that the US has a bigger range but there's plenty enough here also, and it's very much the buyers' market. Two minutes on Yachthub came up with an Atkins 40 footer with a double and 2 single CABINS in triple diagonal cold molded ply built in 1976 for $20K less than the toffee apple you're looking at.

That would be a far, far superior vessel by every measure and entirely suited to you family setup and plans. Have a break on the Gold Coast and sail it back. It's here: *Used William Atkins for Sale | Yachthub
Are you serious? This yacht seems to be: 25 years older, poorly equipped for live-aboard cruising (inadequate fuel, battery, ground tackle, electronics, no electrical generating by solar and wind), rigging ready to be renewed, not nearly as attractive... and these factors jumped out in my first reading of the ad.

You have declared the Hess (?) boat to be a toffee apple and the Atkins to be a jewel without seeing either one. Give us a break, mate.

It would be interesting to hear if Lyle had any input into the keel design, or lacking that, some other N.A. I do believe that Mr Hess has designed other style boats besides the Pardey/BCC group. As James said, a test sail will reveal any inadequacies of the design... our speculations are not worth very much.

And yes, the decks need to be addressed. If there is not a layer of glass between the ply and the beech planking, and the beech is split, water incursion into the ply might be an issue.

So, James, hang in there... sounds to me like you are doing things pretty well on your own, so don't pay too much attention to all this gratuitous advice.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 19:40   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

So, James, hang in there... sounds to me like you are doing things pretty well on your own, so don't pay too much attention to all this gratuitous advice.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim

I appreciate the support and don't mind the advice at all, as long as people don't get annoyed if I don't follow it.

I did email Michael Hess and he doesn't believe the keel was his uncles design. The current owner wasn't sure who designed the changes so we will need to check that out as well.

I am plugging away and should have some updates next week.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32   #53

Quote:
Thanks Jim

I appreciate the support and don't mind the advice at all, as long as people don't get annoyed if I don't follow it.

I did email Michael Hess and he doesn't believe the keel was his uncles design. The current owner wasn't sure who designed the changes so we will need to check that out as well.

I am plugging away and should have some updates next week.
And thanks to you Jonathon123 for not minding my advice. I am not sure why Jim Cate thought it was "gratuitous", nor why I should "give it a break", but my post was in fact well meant and I'm glad you took it that way.

It remains my view that a three cabin setup and a more conventional and proven design would be a better option for you, especially with a couple of youngish kids. Whether it's the Atkins or another is immaterial to the point I was endeavouring to make. In fact, with kids, a centre cockpit and aft cabin for the grownups might be worth considering.

And knowing now what I and other posters suspected - that it is not a genuine Hess design - is all the more reason to steer away from it imo.

Finally, I'd just like to affirm for Jim's peace of mind that I do honestly forgive you Jonathon123 if you thoroughly and cruelly ignore my advice - in fact, to those who ask my advice on things boating I usually end with that very suggestion
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38   #54

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Well it's clearly not a Hess design. It's as if someone stretched a BCC and then put a Valiant underbody on it. And that interior looks more Euro than Hess with the round galley sink.

But so what? It looks like a nice boat in decent condition for a reasonable price.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:06   #55

wrong keel

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:32   #56

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

The quotes for the deck range from $5000 - $20000. To why would you do that you would ruin the boat.

I don't know that any were fixed.

Ultimately I think $20k is closer to the mark but who knows.

We have decided to keep looking, there are just a few to many compromises here for us.

Thanks again to all and I hope you will give me the same great advice when I next find "the" boat

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13   #57

Nice boat, it will take you anywhere! Although you can get boats with that charm at a fraction of the cost a MAXI 95 has a better heads arrangement. There are lots of boats with charm respect the fact you are looking for a real boat - long encapsulated keels will take you anywhere!

Also don't let a tiller put you off, you hardly every touch the wheel or tiller when sailing anyway. A skeg hung rudder will never fall off your boat and the prop will never foul on a net.

Design beats all modern flat bottomed, P bracket, hung rudders which quite frankly are all a recipe for disaster - unless you don't intend to sail it.
Old 12-03-2011, 16:28   #58

Much prefer a tiller so all good. It just had way to many unknowns for me at the price. Perfect boat for someone!

Old 12-03-2011, 18:29   #59

[QUOTE=At sea;640066]And thanks to you Jonathon123 for not minding my advice. I am not sure why Jim Cate thought it was "gratuitous", nor why I should "give it a break", but my post was in fact well meant and I'm glad you took it that way.

G'DAy At Sea,

I thought it was gratuitous because it was offered without being requested and did not attempt to satisfy the OP's request for opinions on the "Hess" 36.

That's what gratuitous means.

I'm sure that your post was well meant, as most are.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-03-2011, 18:33   #60

Quote:
Much prefer a tiller so all good. It just had way to many unknowns for me at the price. Perfect boat for someone!
OK mate... I think that this was a well reasoned decision. Keep looking. She's out there somewhere. Took us three years to find Insatiable II, and we hadda "kiss a lot of frogs" before we found her.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz