Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42   #1

Looking for an Inexpensive Pocket Cruiser

Hi guys (and girls) im looking to buy my first real boat. Ive had a dinghy or two but nothing substantial. Im looking for a pocket cruiser in the 22ft range and wanted to know some good models to look at. The primary waters will be the ohio river around louisville and the boat will most likely be in the water all season. Ill list some qualities im looking for in some order of importance.

Fits within a budget of roughly $3000, including trailer
Seaworthy
Easily singlehanded
Stable
Accomodations for weekend trips (head & galley)
Easy to work on
Low maintenance
Easy to trailer

Im not afraid of a semi project boat but id like to be able to sail it from the get go. It doesnt have to be a racer but able to sail in normal to semi light winds is a plus. If it helps the towing vehicle is an SUV with 6000lbs towing capacity.

Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Zach
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: looking for an inexpensive pocket cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
Hi guys (and girls) im looking to buy my first real boat. Ive had a dinghy or two but nothing substantial. Im looking for a pocket cruiser in the 22ft range and wanted to know some good models to look at. The primary waters will be the ohio river around louisville and the boat will most likely be in the water all season. Ill list some qualities im looking for in some order of importance.

Fits within a budget of roughly $3000, including trailer
Seaworthy
Easily singlehanded
Stable
Accomodations for weekend trips (head & galley)
Easy to work on
Low maintenance
Easy to trailer

Im not afraid of a semi project boat but id like to be able to sail it from the get go. It doesnt have to be a racer but able to sail in normal to semi light winds is a plus. If it helps the towing vehicle is an SUV with 6000lbs towing capacity.

Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Zach
There are lots of boats like that for sale look on ebay or yacht world
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13   #3

Hard to say for sure.... but the trailer is likely worth 1500-2000, so getting one with trailer for that budget may be tough.... unless it's a fixer. Catalinas are good and resale better than many. The 22 comes in a "PoP Top" model I believe, giving you standing headroom when at anchor. The older Chrysler's were pretty good boats really. I think they had one around that size. The 26 was a really good boat. A San Juan 23 would work. Not the best to weather , but shallow draft and well built. Just some ideas....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My Compac 23 is everything a small cruiser should be, but I doubt you would get one at that price.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:40   #5

Yes, a $3k budget will be tough to make work. A decent trailer and outboard will likely total at least $2k. A $1k boat that is sailable will certainly need work, but they do pop up on ebay and craigslist.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:53   #6

Here you go. Catalina 22 on ebay.. You might be able to get it for your $3k, but the auction ends tomorrow so you have to move fast. It's in Missouri.

1981 Catalina 22 Pop Top Swing Keel with Nice Trailer 1981 Catalina 22 Pop Top Swing Keel with Nice Trailer | eBay

Looks good from the pics. I would go for it.. PM me for some advice re. Ebay.
Old 01-05-2012, 15:56   #7

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

My vote is to get a Haida 26 or similar. Anything without standing headroom is a daysailer imho.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
My Compac 23 is everything a small cruiser should be, but I doubt you would get one at that price.
Yeah, great boats from everything ive heard

Old 01-05-2012, 18:17   #9

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Owned a Catalina 22 on San Francisco Bay for quite a few years, good fun, easy to sail and trailer (took it to Lake Tahoe, etc). Also probably a good fleet around nearby to sail with.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45   #10

thanks guys. Catalinas and Odays are what im going to focus on. I appreciate the input
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
thanks guys. Catalinas and Odays are what im going to focus on. I appreciate the input
In case you are not aware, O'Day has been out of business for decades while Catalina is still going strong as far as we know. And Catalina has a great reputation for customer support, even for boats that have been long out of production. And there are far more Catalinas out there sailing which translates into better availability of owner advice, parts, used sails, etc.

For these reasons, I would always strongly favor a Catalina over any comparable O'Day.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:58   #12

Boat: 23' plus 2' added
Re: Looking for an Inexpensive Pocket Cruiser

I just went thru this. Drove to see the boat thursday, liked her, took her home that day. left home at 3:30am and got back just after midnight, 630 miles roundtrip.

btw, just launched, nothing like it!

There are PLENTY of boats out there. Some not so pocket cruisers, 25' plus, for a touch more than your 3k budget.
Do a search on craigslist using 'searchtempest.com'
For a seaworthy boat/motor/trailer at 3k, you'll compromise something. For me, safety is always first and most important and should not be compromised.
Best of luck in your search.
shoutout if i can help.
seaojoe
seaojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41   #13

The Oday 25 is a nice little boat.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48   #14

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I just bought an Aquarius 23 for under that price.

If you don't mind a little interior work there is a guy giving his away.

Lots of trailer sailers in that price range, Most will be projects for at least a few months.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:15   #15

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

....After messing around with dingies for a few month I was hooked on sailing and I upgraded to a west wight potter 19....it is easy to trailer at only 2000 lb, surprisingly roomy for its length and compared to others makes and models it is afordable.....and the retractable keel enables me to go in places other sailboats cant, it actually floats in only not even a foot of water and therefore can be beached with ease.....heck I even take it bass fishing at a local pond: just untie a rope, pull a pin and pick up the mast and set it down on the ground by my house and away I go....the sailing set up is simple with no complicated mechanisms and with a little more practice I hope to have it ready in less than 45 min.....I had the boat now for 2 month so I only took it sailing at some big lakes in NC and once in Pamlico Sound( where it was really choppy)....the best I can tell, and this is comming from someone with very little sailing experience, the boat is stable and seaworthy.....of what I read from reviews the WWP19 are slow and do not sail closehaul too good...but again I could not tell since I never sailed on any other sailboats other than my 14 ft Banchee
.......good luck on your hunt.........
rakedfront1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, pocket cruiser