Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 14:03   #1

Boat: Currently searching for next vessel
Looking for a great boat for $45k or less...

Long time listener, first time caller... I am looking for a great cruising sailboat for my family of 3 in the 45k range. Any recommendations? Where would you recommend I look for said boat? What are some pitfalls to look our for? I've been searching for a while and have found some decent options but have no idea if they're good buys or not. Any help is appreciated.
bomberhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Looking for a great boat for $45k or less...

A little more information would help narrow the options.

Your profile says Bainbridge Island WA but is that where you want to cruise? Will you be living aboard full time or just weekends and vacations? Will you make short trips or cross oceans?

One recommendation, look for a boat where you plan to keep and use the boat. Moving a boat a long distance, especially a larger boat, can cost thousands whether on a truck or by water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for a great boat for $45k or less...

Welcome to CF... awaiting the details..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy BOMBERHART! Welcome aboard CF.

You will get lots of advice, from some very experienced sailors/cruisers here on CF, some who have bought or owned several boats (I have not, I am still looking). I am sure others will offer more suggestions.

I just have a few things to say now, and they are all offered in a friendly tone of voice.

As with anyone first joining CF, I think it is a good idea to honestly tell the forum your level of sailing experience (and you can do that in your CF Profile), in some short statement in your post.

Since you are looking for models of boats to consider, I encourage you to subscribe to the following thread because in it I post what I consider to be "Noteworthy Finds" of boats that are listed with Asking Price less than $30k. Many of the boats are priced at Asking Prices around $15K or $20K. That may seem like it is not your target price. But, another consideration comes up related to having some money set aside for upgrades and needed repairs. How much should you set aside? Opinions on that vary, but IF I were looking to purchase a boat for around $30K Asking Price, I would want to have about $10K or more for initial upgrades or "refit" to that boat. I suspect that about 1/4 to 1/3 or possibly more of a lower priced boat's Asking Price should be available in reserve for initial upgrades or "refit."

Put another way, if I had a maximum budget of $45K, I would be looking for boats with Asking Prices of $30K or less. YMMV

These boats represent types of boats, and IF you look at the type or model, then you can search for the best available on the market today, which may be listed at a higher Asking Price.

While those boats may not all be what you want or what I would want to buy for myself, the variety of posts will give you a very good overview or sample of boats at that price range, with photos, information about the boat design, comments from other CF members and myself, and a real "street price" survey too. I encourage you to subscribe to that thread because I typically add a few newly listed boats I find each week (e.g. I intend to add a few new ones to the thread soon).

While some of the boats I posted in 2015 may no longer be for sale, I also encourage you to start at the first page and read forward (read all pages), because I look for "types" or models of boats in addition to specific examples, and I post photos showing good to outstanding condition, something that can help you gauge the condition of other boats you may find on the market today or in the future. If you subscribe to that thread, you will be notified (daily, weekly, or not at all) to the new posts in that thread, and if you are in the market now (or in the next year) to buy a boat, I think it is a good idea to keep up with that thread as new content is added each week. Some of the boats look like very good examples of their type (or "great deals") and some sell very quickly (in a matter of a few days from being posted here on CF).

Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Here is something I suggest for anyone who posts a "Which Boat" thread:
I suggest you be as clear or open as possible on what you have for "Maximum Asking Price" plus indicate HOW MUCH in dollars will be available for "Refit & Upgrade Costs." This is critical, especially if your goal is to sail very far with that boat. IF you do not have enough money set aside for "Refit/Upgrade" you may find or have others recommend a boat to buy that is not really "seaworthy" enough or well prepared for such a long voyage. Of course that is a matter of opinion and we all have different levels of risk tolerance or aversion, experience, and sense.

Good luck on your boat search. I hope you enjoy your time on CF too!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:23   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Great post Steady. Buying a boat is exciting but buying the wrong boat can lead to ruin. Condition is paramount. Take your time, look at A LOT of boats & get a survey.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:26   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Where do you want to cruise? What is your sailing experience? What size boat do you have in mind? I have a great one in Bellingham built by a master for his family that I have been working on for five years.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 08:28   #8

So husband , wife and one child? Do you plan to cruise the PNW or go offshore. Big difference to some people.
First time cruiser? How does the family deal with cold? In the PNW, a boat with inside areas with good outside viewing etc is very nice. Just one example might be the Islander 36MS. Although there are others with more raised floor area. ISLANDER FREEPORT 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:00   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

What helped immensely in my search for my current used boat was narrowing my hunt down to a couple of boat makes, model and range of year built. That way as I routinely searched thru boat sites (eg sailboatlisting.com, yachtworld, etc) and recorded boat, equipment, and how long it took to sell (spreadsheet w/ page per yr) combined with physically visiting/inspecting these same makes/models, I learned what was a good deal or not. So no answer to your question but more about the process. Enjoy the hunt.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 16:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Bomberhart

Here is a link to the boats on Yachtworld under 45k in Washington State.

(Sail) Boats For Sale Washington WA

As posted above allow for 10k or more for upgrades.

It would really help if you said what you will be doing with the boat other than living aboard - where you want to cruise for example.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 18:02   #11

Did the same thing with wife & 12 year old son 30 years ago on Passport 42. Great time. Lived aboard full time in PNW. Winters were a bit harsh.
Old 26-02-2017, 03:30   #12

Also once you settle on the type/model of the boat (I would just stay with type as many different brands are actually very similar in design and quality of construction with quality of upkeep by prev. owners (POs) being the key to its condition) go up a notch in your upper price limit. I.e. say you end up with $45K for the price with $15K avail. for refit/upgrades it's a good idea to enter $50K, 55K or even $60K or more into you query. You never know which seller will agree to a hefty price drop. Or often checking out a boat with higher than desirable price but which is next door and readily available for survey, sea trials, etc. may be way cheaper than taking time off work, travelling across the country, paying for all those travel expenses only to find out that the cheaper faraway boat is a dud.

Also what is your level of comfort? I.e. is 35-37ft enough? I have friends who 25 years ago did 2 circumnavs with their 3 kids in a 38ft boat. And I know others who would not step onto anything less than 50ft even if it's only two of them. If you can do with a 40ft or under you get a great choice of well kept older vessels which would be ready to sail from day one. If you do need a more recent model than a 30-32 footer may be the upper size limit. And some modern 30-32ft models are actually roomier than the older 35-36ft ones but the quality of construction and their potential longevity is another issue.

Also don't get locked in into "only this particular model made between years XX and YY will do" type of thinking. Great majority of used boats reflect the care bestowed upon them by their POs and 80-90% of the time that care will be the deciding factor in boat's condition, expected useful life and final selling price, which in turn will be based on the level of interest it generates from the potential buyers. If you're the only one seriously interested in a particular boat it is both good and bad. Good that you may have leverage in bringing the asking price down and bad that no one else is interested in her so that may be an indication of either the price being too high, the quality/condition too low or both.

Going back to my first paragraph, for one of the 5 boats I owned in the past 12 or so years I over paid about 20% of its real value (which wasn't high to begin with as it was an older boat) for the convenience that a) I could sail her right away, b) I did not spend much time looking for her, c) I did not want to spend my Summer looking for a boat (which are more expensive in the Summer in the water anyway), d) I more than made up for the higher price by spending the hours I saved by not looking further in my business and not on the road looking for a boat.

All the other boats I owned I either gotten very cheaply or for the cost of a haul. And of course they all needed much work which I don't mind doing (and actually look forward to as this work keeps me happy and focused during the off season) in the non sailing months of the year, which unfortunately are numerous where I live. My point being is to get the boat which fits your goals not necessarily the best deal, nor the prettiest and not the one which requires nothing but is way more expensive as none of those may be a fit for your particular situation. Others here will disagree but it only reflects the fact that their situations/goals are different.

Oh and divide by 8 or even 16 any advice given here by people who only buy new and only if the boat is over $500K. It would either not be applicable to you or if you follow it you will never find/buy a boat with your budget.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:57   #13

This is probably not for you but thought I would put it out. Have a 43' steel boat in Bellingham perfect for family of three. Need 40K to finish. Build cost would be around 500K. If interested contact me.
info@magellanyachts.com
Old 26-02-2017, 14:08   #14

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

There's a gorgeous steel 45' steel ocean-going (and equipped) ketch in Jack's boatyard (Google it) in Lund, BC that you can get for that kind of money. I'm told it's in great shape. Give Gerry a call and get the lowdown.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have Scorpius.

Right next to Desolation Sound which is a FABULOUS place to start your cruising lifestyle.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 16:35   #15

Boat: Currently searching for next vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
A little more information would help narrow the options.

Your profile says Bainbridge Island WA but is that where you want to cruise? Will you be living aboard full time or just weekends and vacations? Will you make short trips or cross oceans?

One recommendation, look for a boat where you plan to keep and use the boat. Moving a boat a long distance, especially a larger boat, can cost thousands whether on a truck or by water.
Hi all, thanks for the welcoming messages.

Yes, we will be moored near Bainbridge Island. It is not a live aboard, so mainly just weekends or vacations. The majority of the sailing will be in and around the Puget Sound, San Juan Islands and Vancouver Island. I would love to cross oceans some day, but don't necessarily need this boat to be a good ocean crosser.

An ideal trip for us would be to sail 8-10 hours away, anchor in a nice calm bay. Day sail around those waters for the weekend, then cruise 8-10 hours home. We would need a boat that could accommodate a trip like that and hold enough water and waste to be comfortable for a 4-5 day trip.

Another note - I am also a larger guy (6'5") so having a little extra headroom never hurt...

Thanks for your willingness to help!
bomberhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat