Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 07:02   #1

Boat: 74 Catalina 22
Known Tartan 3700 Issues (2001)

I am considering purchasing a 2001 Tartan 2700. From all my research these seem like very sturdy, capable boats. I am also hiring a reputable surveyor to inspect the boat on my behalf. Does anyone have any experience with these boats that could comment on known issues, manufacturer defects in design or just general problem areas that I should specifically look into? I am trying to go into this armed with as much knowledge as possible and would value any insight into. This is a shoal draft model with a centerboard.
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Known Tartan 3700 Issues (2001)

there is a strong and active FB group and a email group at https://groups.io/g/tartanownerslist

In general, Tartans are very well built. Things unique to Tartans are the deck area by the chainplate- if the chalking around the plate is not renewed this can be an issue. Not sure on those 'new ones' but on the 80's era ones, the Genoa Track also needed periodic rebidding.

Joining either group will hook you up with connect you to T-3700 owners.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Our esteemed Maine Sail has a different opinion ....
Tartan/C&C Bully Sailnet Into Pulling A Thread !!!&#33 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Old 11-12-2020, 07:57   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

Thank you for posting boatpoker.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:01   #5

Thank you both, this is very helpful. I had done a good search for groups but only found one other one.

I will be sure to look at the deck area by the chain plates very closely.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00   #6

Boat: tartan 3400

There are two issues I became aware of when purchasing my 2006 tartan. A couple of delaminations and corrosion of sail drives were reported in internet threads. We researched with the surveyor and we’re upfront with Tartan about potential concerns prior to making an offer.

Customer Service. Prior Owner of the company did not put customers first (or second..) at that time. There was litigation and a internet pissing match with a couple of customers. The company was later bought by a Tartan owner who had a better view of and relationship with customers. And, they have since sold again.

Delamination should come out in a good survey. I bought used from tartan and they provided me a hull warranty, I recall 10 years. No delamination found in the survey of my boat.

Other issue was corrosion of aluminum sail drives. This can be found by an electrical survey. Tartan issued a service bulletin on how to protect submerged aluminum, passivating and epoxy coating, before applying antifouling. We got a new sail drive when we bought our boat. We added a catholic protection system (ElectroGuard) after the survey for less than $1000. We closely inspect the sail drive at haul out and make sure bottom cleaning doesn’t compromise the drive.

It is good to research potential defects by doing your homework - like you are, and openly resolve these with the seller.. Tartan 3700’ s are a great boat and owners seem to really like them. Best of luck.
t-3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:27   #7

Thank you T-3400! This is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I know all boats have their quircks and I want to make sure that I look over these areas very carefully with the surveyor. Much appreciated!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:49   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We owned and loved a 2004 T-4100 for three years before moving to a cat. Tartan has gone through various ownership changes over the last 20 years, with the last occurring just this year. I think their customer service under the last ownership group was OK and the current group is headed by a large Tartan dealer so hopefully it is still OK. Maybe not as good as some times in the past but much better than other times under different owners would be my guess.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 13:19   #9

Seattle Yachts recently purchased Tartan.

I've owned a 3500 for 10 years and love the boat and build quality. It is a great boat and fun to sail. I have a few issues with a 20 year old boat. The core around the hinges of my anchor locker cover is deforming the fiberglass. The wiring on our electric swim hatch is prone to corrosion (e.g., the terminal strip is mounted behind the rudder post and gets wet). I've had to rebuild all the water pumps a couple of times.

The 3700 may have the solient rig. This is a large genoa on a furler and a smaller self-tacking jib. I find these to be tedious to tack/gybe the genoa. Very easy with the smaller self-tacking headsail. I think they 3700 is a larger boat: wider and taller. My biased opinion, I think the 3500 sails better than the 3700 or 3800. The 3700 may have a Volvo sail-drive. Tartan had issues with Yanmar and had to switch to Volvo. I prefer the Yanmar and shaft drive with our 3500.

I would buy another Tartan. Good luck!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 19:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
We owned and loved a 2004 T-4100 for three years before moving to a cat. Tartan has gone through various ownership changes over the last 20 years, with the last occurring just this year. I think their customer service under the last ownership group was OK and the current group is headed by a large Tartan dealer so hopefully it is still OK. Maybe not as good as some times in the past but much better than other times under different owners would be my guess.

Thank you, this is a second hand boat from a private seller so I shouldn’t have much interaction with tartan themselves unless for some oddball part I would think
Old 11-12-2020, 19:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Seattle Yachts recently purchased Tartan.

I've owned a 3500 for 10 years and love the boat and build quality. It is a great boat and fun to sail. I have a few issues with a 20 year old boat. The core around the hinges of my anchor locker cover is deforming the fiberglass. The wiring on our electric swim hatch is prone to corrosion (e.g., the terminal strip is mounted behind the rudder post and gets wet). I've had to rebuild all the water pumps a couple of times.

The 3700 may have the solient rig. This is a large genoa on a furler and a smaller self-tacking jib. I find these to be tedious to tack/gybe the genoa. Very easy with the smaller self-tacking headsail. I think they 3700 is a larger boat: wider and taller. My biased opinion, I think the 3500 sails better than the 3700 or 3800. The 3700 may have a Volvo sail-drive. Tartan had issues with Yanmar and had to switch to Volvo. I prefer the Yanmar and shaft drive with our 3500.

I would buy another Tartan. Good luck!
Don

Thanks Don! This is great, I’ll be sure to have the surveyor check out the areas that you mentioned, as well as check them out myself. Good to know about the solient rig setup, I saw some other tartans with this setup but this boat in particular does not. This does have the Yanmar engine, which in my research seems pretty common. I do not have any experience on either but i have had some Japanese trucks that were as reliable as the sun rising. Thanks for your insight, much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2020, 19:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Found these old photos in my files. A 2005 tartan 37.
They had a wee leakage problem with the factory installed bow thruster tube. The thruster was mounted horizontally without support and the tube was not strong enough to support the thruster motor.

Mostly held in place with putty, minimum mat and marked as "exhaust pipe" ie. way thinner than a thruster tube. We actually kicked it out of the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	228493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	228494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	228495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	228496  

Old 12-12-2020, 04:49   #13

Any after market deficiencies are not the manufacturer's fault.
A surveyor may not want go up the mast so you may need a rigger.
Only a competent diesel mechanic will survey the engine not the surveyor so this is sometimes the reason for the sale.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:35   #14

Boat: Tartan 3700

I purchased my 2007 Tartan 3700 four years ago and have sailed her here on the Coast of Maine each summer since. While I had no prior experience with Tartan Yachts, we have found her to be be very comfortable, reliable, and and easy to sail. She is equipped with the "solent rig" which Tartan calls "cruise control" -- 95% self-tacking jib located immediately behind a 150% reacher. Both are furling. Yes, tacking the reacher means rolling in and back out on the opposite tack. I have tried passing through and it just isn't worth the trouble. That said, we short tack inside the islands with jib only, and then replace with the reacher in open water when we are unlikely to tack again for hours. She has also been modified with a Schaeffer boom furling main and electric winches which makes single handing very comfortable.

I do recall reaching out to Tartan to discuss the carbon fiber mast made by Novis. My surveyor recommended and did a separate internal thermal inspection of the mast to confirm the absence of any delamination. The inspection found nothing and I was very satisfied with the responses I received from Tartan/Novis regarding the manufacturing process.

I too did a lot of research at the time of my purchase regarding the Blue Heron hull failure incident and its aftermath (easily found online). I believe Tartan offered dealer inspections of hulls up through hull number 119. Mine is 124. As an attorney myself though, I am convinced that the court of public opinion usually gets it wrong and should be viewed with skepticism from the outset.

I hope you will be as happy with your Tartan as I am with mine. Best.
christianbarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-3400 View Post
There are two issues I became aware of when purchasing my 2006 tartan. A couple of delaminations and corrosion of sail drives were reported in internet threads. We researched with the surveyor and we’re upfront with Tartan about potential concerns prior to making an offer.

Customer Service. Prior Owner of the company did not put customers first (or second..) at that time. There was litigation and a internet pissing match with a couple of customers. The company was later bought by a Tartan owner who had a better view of and relationship with customers. And, they have since sold again.

Delamination should come out in a good survey. I bought used from tartan and they provided me a hull warranty, I recall 10 years. No delamination found in the survey of my boat.

Other issue was corrosion of aluminum sail drives. This can be found by an electrical survey. Tartan issued a service bulletin on how to protect submerged aluminum, passivating and epoxy coating, before applying antifouling. We got a new sail drive when we bought our boat. We added a catholic protection system (ElectroGuard) after the survey for less than $1000. We closely inspect the sail drive at haul out and make sure bottom cleaning doesn’t compromise the drive.

It is good to research potential defects by doing your homework - like you are, and openly resolve these with the seller.. Tartan 3700’ s are a great boat and owners seem to really like them. Best of luck.

One must guard against catholics!
Marinarius is offline   Reply With Quote