Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 07:20   #1

Boat: Newport 30
Keep or Sell My Older Newport?

Hi all.

Looking for some advice here. We have owned our 1981 Newport 30 for over 12 years now, and base her (for now) on Vancouver Island. She has great systems: 400 hour engine, newer sails, brand new converted icebox refrigeration, new stack-pack, etc. However, she is in serious need of cosmetic work: hull needs repainting, deck same and some repairs needed, interior lots of cosmetic work.

The cosmetic work will cost more than she is worth. I live on the Lower Mainland, and cannot spend the time on her that she needs in order to do the work myself. And she will continue to deteriorate if I can't get on this, to the point that she isn't sell-able.

What do I do? Sell her now, and buy a newer sailboat, or put the money into her so that she doesn't continue on the downward slide?

Thank you in advance

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 15:28   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Keep or Sell My Older Newport?

Some of the interior work you can probably do when you visit the boat. If the cushion covers need replacing, this is a project you can undertake yourself with a used sewing machine. Plus putting the cushions themselves on a truck to your house/apartment. Now it is empty to varnish. If you work hard, this is doable in a weekend, the sanding, vacuuming and varnishing. When you return to the boat, bring the covered cushions (you may want to replace the form, if it is all tired--buy it from a foam shop or on e-bay). Voila, freshened.

Even if you have to do the masking yourself, you can do the deck repaint in a weekend, if you're willing to work hard.

Yes, pay to have the topsides repainted. Unless you're a proven concours d'elegance sprayer already. It IS expensive, but if you're a bit of a perfectionist, you may not be happy with rolling and tipping the topsides. It is still nowhere near the cost and efforts in a new boat.

You did not specify the repairs you think need doing, so no comment on those.

You could consider moving the boat closer to home for a season, for more convenient to access for the projects.

New boats are expensive in time and effort to bring up to snuff. Brand new boats are more expensive and a pita to get up to specs. Deal with your issues now, and it will be less $$ and soon you will be able to take her back to Vancouver for play.

Or, if it is time for a new boat, decide what would need to be done to get the best price for her. Ultimately you have to decide what is best for you, and the take of the CF group is irrelevant. If you've bonded with your boat and want to keep her, do that; if you're ready for a different boat, accept those differing costs.

Ann
Old 25-07-2022, 15:44   #3

Boat: Riva 48

You are in a typical situation for a 40+ year old boat. Good systems + bad cosmetics. You have gotten accustomed to the boat over time but no matter how much effort you put in the boat, it would never look like a new boat. Sell and move to a 10 year old boat.

In my opinion, it is only worth investing in older boats if they are classics. Newport is hardly a classic boat even if they were quite capable at their time.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 16:05   #4

Thanks Ann.
I agree with your suggestion to bring the boat closer, and I think I have a plan coming together for that. I'll work on the cosmetics, and then perhaps take her back over to the Island
Old 25-07-2022, 16:09   #5

Thanks Pizzazz.

She's no classic, you're right. Ann's advice to do the work myself, if I can get her closer is probably the best for me. It's more do-able for me than a newer boat

Steve
Old 25-07-2022, 18:51   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

You've a boat that you KNOW what you have.
She just needs a little "makeup" and some lipstick to take her out on the town, so to speak, proud to hold her hand, (tiller,)
Another boat where you really don't know the "back story" might look better for a "fling", but would she be a "keeper"?
Some might flame me for saying that, but I'm a romantic, and whether it be a rowboat or a battleship the boat you have is always the girl you dance with and work to keep her happy.
If a separation is inevitable it needs to be amicable.
Old 26-07-2022, 14:59   #7

Thanks Bowdrie.

I've bought that lady so much stuff lately, that it would be hard to send her away, that's for sure!

I've been looking at other boats in my size and budget. There really aren't any, so I guess she's a keeper

Steve
Old 05-01-2024, 03:31   #8

Boat: Capital Yachts, Newport 30 mk3, 30'

Hopefully you were able to keep your "girl" and put her back in all her glory... would love to hear about it if you have time.. I own a Newport 30 mk3 ('83). Any stories are always good to hear. Best of luck with everything
HippieTye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:52   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

Westwon I always think the devil you know is better than the one you don't. A 30-footer is not too expensive to sort out the cosmetics on. Plenty of my clients over capitalize on their boats. If you ask me, it's really not spending more than she is worth if you intend keeping her. Sure, if you are going to sell her then forget it. But otherwise to me it's just part of boating. Nothing makes financial sense about it, but boy does it make my families heart sing when we are on the water.
Pizzazz I am not sure what boatyards you are hanging out at, but plenty of older boats look better than new when the cosmetic work is finished. I can still remember 30 years ago having a client stand right next to their own yacht after it had come out of the spray booth, and he asked where his yacht was. He had no idea what a new coat of paint could do to an old vessel.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 16:36   #10

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I probably own the most over-improved O'Day 30 in the world. I'd much rather have the devil I know (and rebuilt, and trust), than the devil I don't.

I'm currently working on a friend's 1980's Catalina 30. She'll have put $25 or $30,000 into it in the past 4 years, on top of what she paid for the boat. It's still an old Catalina 30 in poor condition. All told, she'll have about $45k in it. Newer Catalina 30's in much better condition sell for about half of that number.

So, if you want to keep her, make a plan and a well researched budget first.

If you want to replace her, I'd give the same advice. The costs of getting another boat to your liking might be surprising.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 16:58   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerChuck View Post
I'd much rather have the devil I know (and rebuilt, and trust), than the devil I don't.

Tags
newport