Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 15:03   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Jeanneau and Beneteau

Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail and generally the price seems a lot lower than other boats for newer year models. Is there a specific reason for this? Something in the quality of the build? Cost to maintain? General ability in the ocean?

I am curious because it looks like there is a lot of good deal but I cant help but feel hesitant.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 15:05   #2
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,473
Images: 3
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanosc View Post
Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail and generally the price seems a lot lower than other boats for newer year models. Is there a specific reason for this? Something in the quality of the build? Cost to maintain? General ability in the ocean?

I am curious because it looks like there is a lot of good deal but I cant help but feel hesitant.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

A lot lower then what ?
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 15:06   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nice, France
Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Posts: 1,067
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Can you be more specific in your opinion? What are you comparing to what?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 17:04   #4
Registered User
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 8,391
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Depends on what you’re comparing to.

Generally speaking these are mass produced boats, lots of them are coming out of charter fleets, so prices will be lower from that.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 17:06   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 3
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

They're both owned by the same parent company, the Beneteau Group, which is the largest sailboat maker in the world. That allows them to mass produce and undercut smaller builders. I'm in the market and have seen and sailed a few of them lately that were built in the last decade. Fit and finish is quite good; they are thoughtfully laid out, and their racer/cruisers sail very well. The Oceanis series boats sail pretty well, but place an emphasis on creature comfort with more freeboard than I like. I would love to sail the new Beneteau First 53, which is a Frers design and is gorgeous. It looks like it moves well to windward and would be a blast to sail.

If you're considering a used Beneteau, run the fresh water for a while to get a smell of the tank. If they're not flushed often, they tend to stink.
jparriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 19:29   #6
Registered User
 
Gtstricky's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2019
Boat: Boatless wanna-bee
Posts: 55
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Check this out for some good info:
https://youtu.be/f8x7fLdwjX8
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 20:16   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: USVI
Boat: Hanse 445 44’
Posts: 33
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanosc View Post
Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail

Firstly, I would expect that sailboats would sail.

Subsequently, as others have said they are popular boats because they make many of them. The real questions should be why do you want a boat? Followed up with: is that boat a good one for you?
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:17   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’
Posts: 154
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Our 2005 Beneteau 423 two cabin (non charter) version is an awesome boat. We’ve owned her since ‘07 and never regretted a single day. As production cruisers of that era go, we had our pick of Jeanneau, Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau etc. We looked at lots of boats, we made the correct choice for us.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:44   #9
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific - 5 years full time blue water cruising
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,498
Images: 1
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

We have a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3. Bought it iin 2012 and have been deep water sailing for the past 5 yhears - currently 30,000nm into our (maybe) circumnavigation.

The boat has stood ujp to everything that could be thrown against her - she is tough, sails more than well and is very comfortable.

I can't say anything about newer boats - but we've never regretted sailing her on a long blue water cruise.
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:44   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A lot lower then what ?
Haha sorry I should have been more specific.

If you look at cruisers in the 37 to 45ft range I tend to see much newer models of these boat brands for far less than other models that have not been produced at such a large scale. I was just curious if it was a quality issue or something else.
Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:49   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
Firstly, I would expect that sailboats would sail.

Subsequently, as others have said they are popular boats because they make many of them. The real questions should be why do you want a boat? Followed up with: is that boat a good one for you?
Haha I was hoping someone would pick up on that.

Well I am in Europe so basically I want to cross the Atlantic, spend some time in the Caribbean and then cross the Pacific spending good amounts of time around different island groups there.

It would basically be a live onboard for several years type thing that can handle bluewater crossings well.
Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:51   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
We have a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3. Bought it iin 2012 and have been deep water sailing for the past 5 yhears - currently 30,000nm into our (maybe) circumnavigation.

The boat has stood ujp to everything that could be thrown against her - she is tough, sails more than well and is very comfortable.

I can't say anything about newer boats - but we've never regretted sailing her on a long blue water cruise.
This is very encouraging to hear! Thank you!
Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:52   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
Our 2005 Beneteau 423 two cabin (non charter) version is an awesome boat. We’ve owned her since ‘07 and never regretted a single day. As production cruisers of that era go, we had our pick of Jeanneau, Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau etc. We looked at lots of boats, we made the correct choice for us.
Ok thats amazing! Would you say buying a used charter boat is precarious or something that is generally avoided?
Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:54   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparriott View Post
They're both owned by the same parent company, the Beneteau Group, which is the largest sailboat maker in the world. That allows them to mass produce and undercut smaller builders. I'm in the market and have seen and sailed a few of them lately that were built in the last decade. Fit and finish is quite good; they are thoughtfully laid out, and their racer/cruisers sail very well. The Oceanis series boats sail pretty well, but place an emphasis on creature comfort with more freeboard than I like. I would love to sail the new Beneteau First 53, which is a Frers design and is gorgeous. It looks like it moves well to windward and would be a blast to sail.

If you're considering a used Beneteau, run the fresh water for a while to get a smell of the tank. If they're not flushed often, they tend to stink.
I thought you wrote tend to sink and I was like this seems to be a large problem haha but stink is much less of a problem but still not exactly what you want haha.

Thank you for your reply.
Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:50   #15
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,473
Images: 3
Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanosc View Post
Haha sorry I should have been more specific.



If you look at cruisers in the 37 to 45ft range I tend to see much newer models of these boat brands for far less than other models that have not been produced at such a large scale. I was just curious if it was a quality issue or something else.


If you are comparing Bennys etc with say small semi production boats you are doing an apples and oranges comparison

Rather the same as saying you see lots of Nissans going cheaper then BMW 5 series etc.

Yet the Nissan will quite happily do 200,000 miles, will last as long or longer then the beemer and get you there just as well

Beneteau group owns the biggest boat builder in the world.

It brands are ( in boats alone)


Beneteau
Jeanneau
Laggoon
Delphi
CNB
Four winns
Prestige
Glastron
Excess yachts
Scarb

They produce zillions of boats and many are in the charter fleets.

Bevneteau and Jeanneau are pitched to compete with Hanse , dufour ( out of business) , Bavaria etc.

They make a good boat for the money. Is it a bmw , no

Will they happily cross oceans , yes of course

Other then HR , most of the bmw brands have give bust anyway
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beneteau, Bavaria and Jeanneau bg9208 Monohull Sailboats 36 17-05-2015 12:52
Can Jeanneau , Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean Crossing Boats ? ibrgic Monohull Sailboats 571 31-12-2013 08:32
Why Only Beneteau / Jeanneau in Charter Fleets? marty9876 General Sailing Forum 21 15-04-2010 05:02

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.