Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 14:03   #1

Jeanneau and Beneteau

Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail and generally the price seems a lot lower than other boats for newer year models. Is there a specific reason for this? Something in the quality of the build? Cost to maintain? General ability in the ocean?

I am curious because it looks like there is a lot of good deal but I cant help but feel hesitant.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Deanosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 14:05   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanosc View Post
Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail and generally the price seems a lot lower than other boats for newer year models. Is there a specific reason for this? Something in the quality of the build? Cost to maintain? General ability in the ocean?

I am curious because it looks like there is a lot of good deal but I cant help but feel hesitant.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

A lot lower then what ?
Old 08-01-2021, 14:06   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Can you be more specific in your opinion? What are you comparing to what?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 16:04   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Depends on what you’re comparing to.

Generally speaking these are mass produced boats, lots of them are coming out of charter fleets, so prices will be lower from that.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 16:06   #5

They're both owned by the same parent company, the Beneteau Group, which is the largest sailboat maker in the world. That allows them to mass produce and undercut smaller builders. I'm in the market and have seen and sailed a few of them lately that were built in the last decade. Fit and finish is quite good; they are thoughtfully laid out, and their racer/cruisers sail very well. The Oceanis series boats sail pretty well, but place an emphasis on creature comfort with more freeboard than I like. I would love to sail the new Beneteau First 53, which is a Frers design and is gorgeous. It looks like it moves well to windward and would be a blast to sail.

If you're considering a used Beneteau, run the fresh water for a while to get a smell of the tank. If they're not flushed often, they tend to stink.
jparriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 18:29   #6

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Check this out for some good info:
https://youtu.be/f8x7fLdwjX8
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 19:16   #7

Boat: Hanse 445 44’

Quote:
Hey everyone so I am seeing a lot of these boats for sail

Firstly, I would expect that sailboats would sail.

Subsequently, as others have said they are popular boats because they make many of them. The real questions should be why do you want a boat? Followed up with: is that boat a good one for you?
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 00:17   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Our 2005 Beneteau 423 two cabin (non charter) version is an awesome boat. We’ve owned her since ‘07 and never regretted a single day. As production cruisers of that era go, we had our pick of Jeanneau, Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau etc. We looked at lots of boats, we made the correct choice for us.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 00:44   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We have a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3. Bought it iin 2012 and have been deep water sailing for the past 5 yhears - currently 30,000nm into our (maybe) circumnavigation.

The boat has stood ujp to everything that could be thrown against her - she is tough, sails more than well and is very comfortable.

I can't say anything about newer boats - but we've never regretted sailing her on a long blue water cruise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 00:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
A lot lower then what ?
Haha sorry I should have been more specific.

If you look at cruisers in the 37 to 45ft range I tend to see much newer models of these boat brands for far less than other models that have not been produced at such a large scale. I was just curious if it was a quality issue or something else.
Old 09-01-2021, 00:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
Firstly, I would expect that sailboats would sail.

Subsequently, as others have said they are popular boats because they make many of them. The real questions should be why do you want a boat? Followed up with: is that boat a good one for you?
Haha I was hoping someone would pick up on that.

Well I am in Europe so basically I want to cross the Atlantic, spend some time in the Caribbean and then cross the Pacific spending good amounts of time around different island groups there.

It would basically be a live onboard for several years type thing that can handle bluewater crossings well.
Old 09-01-2021, 00:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
We have a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3. Bought it iin 2012 and have been deep water sailing for the past 5 yhears - currently 30,000nm into our (maybe) circumnavigation.

The boat has stood ujp to everything that could be thrown against her - she is tough, sails more than well and is very comfortable.

I can't say anything about newer boats - but we've never regretted sailing her on a long blue water cruise.
This is very encouraging to hear! Thank you!
Old 09-01-2021, 00:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
Our 2005 Beneteau 423 two cabin (non charter) version is an awesome boat. We’ve owned her since ‘07 and never regretted a single day. As production cruisers of that era go, we had our pick of Jeanneau, Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau etc. We looked at lots of boats, we made the correct choice for us.
Ok thats amazing! Would you say buying a used charter boat is precarious or something that is generally avoided?
Old 09-01-2021, 00:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparriott View Post
They're both owned by the same parent company, the Beneteau Group, which is the largest sailboat maker in the world. That allows them to mass produce and undercut smaller builders. I'm in the market and have seen and sailed a few of them lately that were built in the last decade. Fit and finish is quite good; they are thoughtfully laid out, and their racer/cruisers sail very well. The Oceanis series boats sail pretty well, but place an emphasis on creature comfort with more freeboard than I like. I would love to sail the new Beneteau First 53, which is a Frers design and is gorgeous. It looks like it moves well to windward and would be a blast to sail.

If you're considering a used Beneteau, run the fresh water for a while to get a smell of the tank. If they're not flushed often, they tend to stink.
I thought you wrote tend to sink and I was like this seems to be a large problem haha but stink is much less of a problem but still not exactly what you want haha.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:50   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Jeanneau and Beneteau

Quote:
Haha sorry I should have been more specific.

If you look at cruisers in the 37 to 45ft range I tend to see much newer models of these boat brands for far less than other models that have not been produced at such a large scale. I was just curious if it was a quality issue or something else.

If you are comparing Bennys etc with say small semi production boats you are doing an apples and oranges comparison

Rather the same as saying you see lots of Nissans going cheaper then BMW 5 series etc.

Yet the Nissan will quite happily do 200,000 miles, will last as long or longer then the beemer and get you there just as well

Beneteau group owns the biggest boat builder in the world.

It brands are ( in boats alone)

Beneteau
Jeanneau
Laggoon
Delphi
CNB
Four winns
Prestige
Glastron
Excess yachts
Scarb

They produce zillions of boats and many are in the charter fleets.

Bevneteau and Jeanneau are pitched to compete with Hanse , dufour ( out of business) , Bavaria etc.

They make a good boat for the money. Is it a bmw , no

Will they happily cross oceans , yes of course

Other then HR , most of the bmw brands have give bust anyway

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau