Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 04:06   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Jeanneau 45 or 49?

Unless you believe you will have guests on the boat more often than not, get the 45'.
For a couple both provide the same space far as usable space goes. The larger boat just makes it more comfortable for guests. Which means it is harder to get rid of them later
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The larger boat, even just the couple of feet, will be both faster and have much more space and weight available for storage of items. The 49DS that I had was very spacious and the lazarette lockers as well as the forward locker held all the items that I could want.
Old 12-01-2013, 15:29   #18

Dave, you have a wealth of information that I might keep tapping. I am making up a folder with all the ins & outs of VAT, national registration, how long it can be kept in the EU etc. Another thhing that could come through by then is may Italian citizenship I am chasing through (only been 14 months but who is counting)

I was wonering about the bulkheads for when we have visitors staying and then the rest of the time a comfortably roomy area. It could be an issue finding one place to store them but that isn't a major problem at this stage
Flacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 15:31   #19

Zanshin, thanks for letting me know. I have seen a 49 with a genset and water-maker installed in one of the cockpit lockers. Did you sail her 2-up?

Cheers

Chris
Old 12-01-2013, 18:31   #20

Hey Don, it sounds like you are speaking from experience LOL
Old 12-01-2013, 20:52   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacky
Dave, you have a wealth of information that I might keep tapping. I am making up a folder with all the ins & outs of VAT, national registration, how long it can be kept in the EU etc. Another thhing that could come through by then is may Italian citizenship I am chasing through (only been 14 months but who is counting)

I was wonering about the bulkheads for when we have visitors staying and then the rest of the time a comfortably roomy area. It could be an issue finding one place to store them but that isn't a major problem at this stage
Sure fire away with the questions or PM me.

I just can't remember on the last DS if the bulkheads were ( or could) be stored on board. One of the difficulties of deliveries is I get boat features mixed up !! .

The older DS had good Lazarette storage too. Good sea boats . Took one through a F10 gusting F11 in the Atlantic , I was impressed by her stability.

Ps If you cruise the med on an Italian passport in a non vat registered boat, bring evidence that you are not established in the EU ( utility bills etc ) .
Dave
Old 12-01-2013, 23:01   #22

Thanks Dave - I really appreciate your responses and information.

With all your experience doing deliveries, it's good to hear you like the Jeanneau and that they are a good sea boat.

I have mates down here saying don't go any bigger than 40' and others saying go bigger and as I said initially, we don't have that many to get onboard and test and feel them out, so I will be going on feel and feedback. I will go over to the Jenneau owners forum and ask a few questions about the bulkheads etc as suggested.

If I get my dual citizenship I will have to play it low key. Once I purchase something, I will arrange Australian registration (I believe this takes about 4-5 weeks) with papers being having to be sent home, annotated and returned. I am thinking that I should then be able to keep it over there without VAT implications for 2 years????

Still 6 months away but I am getting excited LOL

Cheers

Chris
Old 13-01-2013, 04:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacky View Post
Zanshin, thanks for letting me know. I have seen a 49 with a genset and water-maker installed in one of the cockpit lockers. Did you sail her 2-up?

Cheers

Chris

My 49 had a Fischer-Panda 5000 genset underneath the cabin sole by the companionway (the area is designed for a genset and is right close to the centre-of-gravity and low down), plus I had a watermaker installed next to the genset by the navigation table - this was a big unit with low-pressure pump, high-pressure pump, filtration unit and more all with different components. It fit well, but was quite loud when running). The forward locker is big and has a ladder down into it. The port and startboard lazarette lockers are deep, while there is no ladder you still need to climb in and can stand up in them with your head just barely pocking out. I used this to store voluminous stuff, plus things like extra anchors and supplies and things that I kept, but didn't need often. The cockpit has another 2 large lockers for storage of things needed more often. I had a 6-person liferaft plus lots of storage boxes for chemicals, paints, and other maintenance items I didn't want below.

Take a look at the link and list of modification for the Old Zanshin I here: Zanshin I, the predecessor to the current Zanshin
Old 13-01-2013, 14:56   #24

Hi Arnd, I have just spent an hour reading some of your website and now I'm running late for a few things U have to do. It's a great read and will get back to it later.

I like all your additionas, all the way to the coffee maker and my partner does want a washing machine and I thought if some of these ex-charter boats have 3-4 heads one could be dedicated as a laundry

Cheers

Chris
Old 14-01-2013, 04:30   #25

Flacky - I'm always happy when someone finds the website and likes the content!
Old 14-01-2013, 05:26   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Flacky,

I own a Jeanneau 40 fotter (the Sun Fast which is a suped up version of the Sun odyssey - but the cabin is identical). I have two neighbors with Sun Odysseys, a 54 footer and a 45 footer. I have sailed with both.

Choose the 45 over the 49 foot. The 45 is plenty large. They also sail well eetc. My neighbor has his for sail, a 2008 but it will be too expensive for you.

For cheaper boats, Croatia (NON-VAT but these are all charter with 3-4 heads etc. Not what you want) Greece good place to shop - a lot of boats are for sale there - cheap. Italy also, but to a lesser extent.

My neighbor with the 54 foot has everything incl. a washing machine/dryer. She says the washing machine works but he dryer never has.

I agree with Dave. The Jeanneau is a well built boat with lots of comfort and will take anything you can dish out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:52   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

and I would agree with Carstenb, The Jeanneau range in the 42 to 45 foot is ideal for two people plus occasional visitors/crew. Bigger just means lots more costs ( especially in the Med) for little additional gain,
DAve
Old 14-01-2013, 14:32   #28

Good Morning Carstenb, Dave and Arnd, thanks again for your insights. There is a new Oceanis 45 a couple of doors up from the Bavaria 40 I sail and it looks very big and beamy and think that size is the way to go for us to help keep costs down.

I wish I had the opportunity to sail on one down here but might have to fly to Sydney or Brisbane to do that. Fortunately we are fairly comfortable with the feedback we are getting from those other sailors like yourselves which is very humbling.

Have you seen this link?

Thanks again gents

Chris

Tags
jeanneau