Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 14:34   #31

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Is this sailboat worth it? (Our first sailboat)

No soft spots, newish engine and rigging, overall good bones. For 8k I'm with Zeehag.

I fixed 1/2 a dozen leaks on our boat just by tightening nuts.
Sail mildew - fix with mold-killer although some rumours say it might damage the thread.
Batteries in bilge = dry bilge.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:36   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

A 30 ft with a phrf off 240. I would pass on that. Even if he offered me money to take it
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:51   #33

Boat: Scout 30

In terms of insurance I'd try to find liability only coverage. Start with Boat US & Progressive.

I would ask this forum for recommendation for a good surveyor in your area. You might want to start a new thread for that. The age of the diesel is a good thing but that does not mean it's a good engine. You need a good marine diesel mechanic to tell you that in addition to your surveyor.

For the inexperienced this forum can scare the hell out of you with a lot of worst case scenarios. Please remember you are asking a forum of strangers about a boat they have not actually seen. You are getting general answers that may or may not apply to you or the boat in question. If you made your offer contingent on a survey you can easily get out of it because they always find something & to be honest you can probably get out of it anyway but here's my opinion: if you can get a safe seaworthy boat that doesn't need a ton of work for $8,000 you're looking pretty good. Go have fun!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:52   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndMichelle View Post
The owner neglected it a bit.
  • It needs a new headsail (current one is very mildewy); Mainsail seems fine.
  • V-berth has some leaks from the bowspirit that needs to be recaulked (view photo below).
  • Needs a couple new electronics; needs navigation lights (didn't see any)
  • Needs all new safety equipment (fire extinguisher, flares, radar reflector, etc.)
  • Needs new deck painting.
  • Needs new bottom cleaning and painting.

What do you all think?
Given its age and the list of needed items/repairs I think this particular boat has a negative value, i.e. after you do these items, spending a lot of $$$, time and effort the boat will be worth way less than what you put into her.

With $14K in the pocket you can find a mid to late 80s 30 footer (think Catalina, Pearson, O'day, etc) for under $10K which will need a little elbow grease and may be some basic electronics updated. And you will still come out under $14K with a good chance to recoup most of your initial purchase price a few years later.

PS If you ever decide to get a "neglected boat" at least make sure it's from an above average quality boat builder. That way you have a slightly better chance of recouping your fix her up expenses. Plus you'd be sailing a better boat at the end.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 15:40   #35

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
This must be our 15th viewing in over a year. We're scared sh#tless to be honest haha. Very afraid to pick the "wrong boat" or a boat that'll need twice its purchase price to even get going. It's a little terrifying.
If the process still continues, I recommend to concentrate on some of the models that people recommend here (you should soon be confident on what models you like and what features are good for you), and then check 10 of each online and visit a few of them. Then you will know that the one that you pick is a good model, and in better shape and cheaper than most of them. When you are ready to buy, use some reliable surveyor to check that the boat has no costly surprises waiting for you. Just keep your head cool and chat on this list on all the aspects of buying a boat to gain confidence.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:38   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

More photos can be found here.

We made an offer of $8K last night. We thought we were kind of lowballing them, but after hearing everyone's opinion, it may not even be worth that! Could we make a condition such as he has to pay for the haul-out/cleaning/painting as well - to kind of make up for our possible over-bid?

This one has a newer engine put in in 2007 I believe, and new standing rigging from 2012; would that make it a little above average and perhaps in the 8-10K range? Or still less than that do you think?

Oh crap, I never thought of this. Should I contact insurance companies first and ask if they’d insure it? Has anyone ever had this problem? Will the insurance companies deny you based on its age or its condition?

I’m thinking the broker and owner might just get offended or something and tell me off lol. But we did offer $8K thinking we were low-balling, but it appears it’s not even worth that.

Oh yes, we’re aware of these things. Although there are tons of older boats, there doesn’t seem to be many capable-of-going-offshore-later-on sailboats that we’re going after. 90% are Catalinas, C&Cs, etc with spades/etc. We’re looking for something stronger and more seaworthy to handle long-term cruising. And there’s not a lot around Vancouver especially in our price range (under $15K).

There didn’t seem to be any water damage anywhere else, just leaking from the bowsprit - but no soft spots or delamination I don’t think. But a surveyor would be needed to be sure, of course.

How difficult/expensive would it be to fix that leak, assuming there were no soft spots? Is it just unbolting the bowsprit and resealing/re-caulking?

So much conflicting info. “Stay away”, “Go for it”, haha. But yeah, we’ve heard many good things about them. We feared they'd be too slow for the PNW, but slow and safe is okay to us.

More photos can be seen here. They were taken from videos we took, but they’re better than nothing.

This must be our 15th viewing in over a year. We're scared sh#tless to be honest haha. Very afraid to pick the "wrong boat" or a boat that'll need twice its purchase price to even get going. It's a little terrifying.

We've only been in Vancouver for just oven a year. We don't really know many people here, let alone anyone with a sailboat, so right now our sailboat experts are you guys! But we do learn more each sailboat we view.

Damn, we already offered $8K. Could we retract it, or maybe ask if he additionally pay for the haul-out/cleaning/painting or something?

Couldn’t we find a second-hand headsail and maybe have it recut for not too much?

The 2013 insurance survey didn’t find any soft spots or delamination. We couldn’t find any either, we checked around the leaks, too. I thought I read somewhere that Raswson 30s didn’t have cored decks?
I'm getting the sense you have a bit of boat lust going on and this is the first boat you may have looked at. Some questions I have are, 1) What kind and hp is the engine? 2) Are you going to get a survey? You may need to for insurance anyways. Don't get one after you buy but before.
I also think your search for a boat is restricted by your physical location. I would highly recommend you look around some more just to get an idea of what is out there. Washington State would be a great place to look around. Try craigslist, the magazine, North 48. Ask around here as you have. Take advice from boat owners, not Intertnet armchair sailors.
Here are a few examples of boats I listed on my blog which are for sale today. Just to show you prices. I wouldn't expect you to travel too far a distance to find a boat.

Yankee 30 mk1
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/5472962435.html
1975 Pearson 35 Sailboat
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 18:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm getting the sense you have a bit of boat lust going on and this is the first boat you may have looked at. Some questions I have are, 1) What kind and hp is the engine? 2) Are you going to get a survey? You may need to for insurance anyways. Don't get one after you buy but before.
I also think your search for a boat is restricted by your physical location. I would highly recommend you look around some more just to get an idea of what is out there. Washington State would be a great place to look around. Try craigslist, the magazine, North 48. Ask around here as you have. Take advice from boat owners, not Intertnet armchair sailors.
Here are a few examples of boats I listed on my blog which are for sale today. Just to show you prices. I wouldn't expect you to travel too far a distance to find a boat.

Yankee 30 mk1
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/5472962435.html
1975 Pearson 35 Sailboat
He already stated they have looked at a bunch of boats...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 18:07   #38

OP: She looks pretty good in those pics. The new-ish diesel is a Yanmar not Volvo. Boat looks pretty straight, nice interior, heater, windlass dodger etc. No teak to maintain outside, one thing you get that many dont have is real bulwarks. If you get her for that price and she doesn't show anything major on survey... well done... she'll take you far! I see from the underwater pic she has the newer style rudder too, my '74 had the old crescent moon shape rudder.
http://imgur.com/a/792Dy

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 18:50   #39

Boat: Beneteau

I would run from that boat for so many reasons that I couldn't know where to start. Old,slow, and in terrible shape. Okay maybe I did know where to start. Too many better boats offering much more in a depressed economy for this to be an option.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 19:11   #40

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I have to wonder if the "run from it brigade" ever got the courage to get a boat.
For goodness sake where do you get a seaside holiday home for $8k ?
Subject to due diligence, go for it.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 19:34   #41

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I have to wonder if the "run from it brigade" ever got the courage to get a boat.
Several. About the same length and age too. And with a much lower budget than the OP has.

Most posters have their boat listed in their profile, so you probably missed a few when reading
Old 07-03-2016, 21:17   #42

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
The broker said the owner is moving to the UK very soon and wants the boat gone asap.
That's an important sentence that potentially lowers the price by a few to several thousand dollars.
I'd run all over that boat with a moisture meter and something to hammer with. There's got to be some moisture there. I took a quick look at your pics and thought the wood covering the engine looked a bit dark.
At any rate, ask for a sail to make sure everything operates okay and you like the way it handles. That might be a revelation in itself.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 22:47   #43

Boat: Coast 30

Mike And Michelle, I sent you a private message this morning do you check for your messages?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:08   #44

Quote:
Perhaps not where you are but here on the East Coast of US if one is diligent one can get a 30 footer in decent shape for the price of a haul or 1 season's worth of boat yard fees. And if one has a budget of $14K and is fine with a 30-35 year old boat - one can get a 30 footer in Bristol shape with no issues other than regular maintenance schedule.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26   #45

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Sorry but I'm in Newfoundland where yes in many small towns in out of the way places you can indeed find seaside vacation or permanent year round homes for that price.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat