Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 12:09   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is this sailboat worth it? (Our first sailboat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehunter View Post
Been following this thread and it is pretty interesting, To me it seems the OP is pretty much set.

But I just took a look on KIJI and it did not take long to find a few boats that might be in better shape for less money.

like a this Cal 29.

Cal 29 | sailboats | Victoria | Kijiji

you may have to travel a bit to find the perfect boat.

good luck in your search.
Just took a look.. yup.. the Cal 29 looks okay though not much else I'd consider in their price range.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:34   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Is this sailboat worth it? (Our first sailboat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
When I think back on it, the only time I've sailed a rig overboard was in a Rawson 30. The basic version. Ca. 1977 this was, so the hull musta been fairly new-ish. When I did my pre-departure check prior to taking a croose'n'learn crew aboard, the hull vibrated so much when I flashed 'er up that the compass card was doing a jig. The bottle screw on the forestay was taken up all the way, yet the stays were slack and the truck was competing with the compass card.
I reported to the Old Man that the boat wasn't up to the job. "We don't have any others", he said. "You needn't take the job, but if you don't - don't come back!". Being the good, obedient little lad I've always been, I came to attention, said "Aye - aye, Sir!", took the boat and got on with it.
As for how and why the rig went over the side - perhaps some other time ;-)!
TrentePieds

Sailed a rig overboard?...
Basic version Ca.?...
the hull vibrated so much when I flashed 'er up?...
compass card was doing a jig?...
The bottle screw on the forestay was taken up?...
the truck was competing with the compass card?...

I reported to the Old Man that the boat wasn't up to the job. "We don't have any others", he said. "You needn't take the job, but if you don't - don't come back!". Being the good, obedient little lad I've always been, I came to attention, said "Aye - aye, Sir!", took the boat and got on with it.
As for how and why the rig went over the side - perhaps some other time.

This has got to be B.S.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:55   #78

@celestial #77

"This has got to be B.S"

Not a bit of it :-) I thot you might enjoy this clip:

Now, these guys simply screwed up - apparently under the stress of racing, but that is no excuse. I only do stuff like this with full intent :-)

Anyway, you'll recall that I've stated my dislike for the Catalina 27, and this clip shows in spades what the reason is. Look at that glorious gripe! Totally outta control! Of COURSE that will happen when you over-press a broad beamed, hard bilged boat such as this one for which the Catalina 27 is a fine avatar! Look at the rudder coming clean outta the water as this misbegotten hull rolls right up on top! Even that Jasus big kite can't pull her head down!

Bei mir, this clips shows the entire fallacy that there can be such a thing as a "cruiser/racer". One of MySaintedMother's may dictums was that "a cruiser must sail IN the water - not ON the water!" I have no doubt that her dictums are entertaining and educating many a sailorman in Fiddler's Green :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:01   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

Sailed a rig overboard?...
Basic version Ca.?...
the hull vibrated so much when I flashed 'er up?...
compass card was doing a jig?...
The bottle screw on the forestay was taken up?...
the truck was competing with the compass card?...

As for how and why the rig went over the side - perhaps some other time.

This has got to be B.S.
yeah, Hmmm.... sailing a rig overboard? I guess that is double speak for poor sailing... Having sailed my Rawson thru a 2+ day gale, the only thing maybe not up to the task was me.... That boat was also drier than my 47 footer in those conditions...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 18:39   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ya...ahum...I was referring to your sailing terms if you can call them that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat