Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 18:03   #1

Boat: Able 50'
Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

Hello, I'm interested to learn if anyone out there can tell me more about their experience in the ARC. My husband and I were thinking of entering the rally this year, but the cost is substantial. For 3 crew and a 50ft sailboat, the cost is $2,500 US. It certainly sounds like a fun way to cross the Atlantic and make lots of new friends, but that's a big chunk of cash and we have limited funds. Has anyone completed the ARC and can they comment whether it was worth the money? Thanks!!
stebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 18:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

Never done the ARC but have delivered a boat to Gran Canaria for the ARC..
Yes there was some partying and camaraderie but I don't think it's worth the entry cost nor the cost of upgrades if you fail their pre sailing inspection.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:17   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebby View Post
Hello, I'm interested to learn if anyone out there can tell me more about their experience in the ARC. My husband and I were thinking of entering the rally this year, but the cost is substantial. For 3 crew and a 50ft sailboat, the cost is $2,500 US. It certainly sounds like a fun way to cross the Atlantic and make lots of new friends, but that's a big chunk of cash and we have limited funds. Has anyone completed the ARC and can they comment whether it was worth the money? Thanks!!
We crossed with ARC+ 7 years ago. ARC says that if you utilize all the discounts you can get on marinas on your way to the Canaries - then participation has cost you nothing.

We were disappointed - we felt the organizing was poor - especially considering they have been doing this for years. Some good parties, but if you participate and go to the parties, make sure you eat a big dinner BEFORE you go. ARC will tell you there will be lots of food, but when you get there it is only some finger foods and these are snapped up as soon as they come out of the kitchen

We would not do it again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:08   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have done ARC rallies, but only coastal (Delmarva). I very much appreciated the weather routing, the ability to bounce concerns off of other rally members, and the perception of increased safety in numbers. When I did the ARC delmarva, I had just purchased my boat 2 years prior, and did not have much experience with her or as captain of a vessel. I also very much enjoyed the camaraderie of traveling with a bunch of other people and boats, especially out in the ocean. Most of my socialization was with those other people either on my boat or on their boat independent of the organized get togethers.

7 years later, I am much more confident in my own abilities and my vessel's abilities. That said, I too, I'm considering crossing the Atlantic with The ARC anyway because my experience was so favorable. My limiting reagent is time. Best of luck to you with your crossing however you choose to go.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:39   #5

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
We crossed with ARC+ 7 years ago. ARC says that if you utilize all the discounts you can get on marinas on your way to the Canaries - then participation has cost you nothing.

We were disappointed - we felt the organizing was poor - especially considering they have been doing this for years. Some good parties, but if you participate and go to the parties, make sure you eat a big dinner BEFORE you go. ARC will tell you there will be lots of food, but when you get there it is only some finger foods and these are snapped up as soon as they come out of the kitchen

We would not do it again

oh wow.. i assumed the coast of ARC included berths in marinas..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:33   #6

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Kind of an expensive way to make lots of new friends IMHO. When you are crossing the Atlantic you are alone so no benefit there. When we did the North Atlantic loop we made a few "friends" and tons of casual acquaintances over the two year period.

From our perspective the ARC did not meet the cost benefit criterion. It is a good deal for the organizers I suspect. Seriously, what value are you getting for $2500? A couple parties, a group start, weather forcasting? My hope is you aren't running around the Atlantic without a rudimentary understanding weather and the means to acquire a forecast as needed.

Just my perspective.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:51   #7

A bit dated link to facts and figures regarding the ARC.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/arch...-figures-25185

One has to ask what specifically you desire to receive / obtain by joining an organized voyage.

$2,500 is a substantial chunk of change, recommend one itemize in detail what is being purchased and assess the value exchange. There are but a few office organizers for the event planning so yeah, don't expect a great deal of accomplishments from them.

As others have mentioned, that is a pricey cover charge to enter a social gathering to make friends and acquaintances.

Weather forecasting / routing is readily available from many other sources.

During the transit they are just vessels apart going your way.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:13   #8

Thank you so much!
Old 07-01-2023, 10:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never done the ARC but have delivered a boat to Gran Canaria for the ARC..
[...] but I don't think it's worth the entry cost nor the cost of upgrades if you fail their pre sailing inspection.

What are some things that would cause a boat to fail their inspection, that you don't think any prudent sailor about to sail offshore ought to fix in any case, requirement or no?
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:15   #10

That is so helpful! I appreciate you responding.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:29   #11

That is super helpful! I was feeing like maybe we would be "missing something" if we don't do it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I also don't like the idea of all 200 boats arriving in the same harbor and clamoring for anchor spots. It might actually be more enjoyable to depart when the weather looks good for us sometime after they all leave the Canaries. I'm sure we'll make plenty of friends along the way. Thank you for replying!
Old 07-01-2023, 10:32   #12

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
That is super helpful! I was feeing like maybe we would be "missing something" if we don't do it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I also don't like the idea of all 200 boats arriving in the same harbor and clamoring for anchor spots. It might actually be more enjoyable to depart when the weather looks good for us sometime after they all leave the Canaries. I'm sure we'll make plenty of friends along the way. Thank you for replying!
You could leave a couple days ahead of the pack. That way if for some low probability reason you run into trouble it would be easy for someone to divert and save you. With the pack behind they will be sailing downwind and therefore arriving sooner to help you.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:49   #13

Quote:

Well now that you mention the Canary Islands, did you know that there are no canaries on the Canary Islands?
Same thing applies to the Virgin Islands

Yep, there are no canaries on the Virgin Islands.

Indeed, I suspect that the marina and mooring prices are jacked up when the fleet arrives then drops back to a more reasonable price. Kind of like Uber pricing, when the demand is great so is the cost and limited is the availability.

Make a list of the prime benefits of joining the ARC and assess their personal value to you; perhaps some of the forum members could provide explicit guidance to such.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
What are some things that would cause a boat to fail their inspection, that you don't think any prudent sailor about to sail offshore ought to fix in any case, requirement or no?
Let's put it this way... every boat I have crossed in would have failed their inspection, both mine and deliveries I have done.
If you go on their site I'm sure you'll find a list of inspection.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Let's put it this way... every boat I have crossed in would have failed their inspection, both mine and deliveries I have done.
If you go on their site I'm sure you'll find a list of inspection.
Here is the list
https://www.worldcruising.com/CMS/CM...s_2023_ENG.pdf

It would be nice to have all of this, but some things would be additional expenses for us such as :servicing life raft every three years--ours is up-to date-but was not serviced in the last three years, and AIS crew overboard personal beacon for each crew member.

Tags
cruising