Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Gonna weigh in here, even as a neophite on such matters. If you're attracted to the boat, it fits your ideal of the dream of sailing, and fits your physical needs; go for it! I bought my 1965 Offshore 40 for less than yours is being offered for, but had you seen it, Ha! It scared everyone away from the lien sale at the marina. Still a boat that was very well built to begin with is a great place to start. A scant 2 months later with a lot of love, fun and elbow grease, but not a lot of money by doing it all myself, I have a classic boat that has already been out (and back!) on her own and is receiving complements from up and down the docks. Sure she's far from done but the more I get done, the better she looks the more it excites, like the proverbial snowball rolling downhill, my momentum grows.
Now that's a good story. At a time when so many are ordering take-away boats for instant gratification, it's always good to hear from those who are prepared to cook their own.

The strategy of starting with something of quality or otherwise distinctive and building the skills while building the boat is much smarter than buying something cheap and cruddy just to set sail right away.

And you can take comfort that everthing learned in this process builds a better seaman. Allaverybest.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54   #47

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Hillbilly, it appears the only way you will know if this is the one is to get in your car, and go look see. From the photos, shes a neglected dirty old beast that has been half full of water. Given that, I would bet dollars to donuts that the engine is seized. The tranny is already known to be shot. No idea on what condition the sails and rigging is in. Electrical? Battery or batteries most likely toast if the boat has been sitting idle for several years. Water damage to the electrical? Maybe, most of that is mounted high and might be above the interior bathtub ring shown.

As for the guts, well, rip out all the fabric, scrub like hell with pinesol and disinfectant, and then lay in some cheap air mattresses or foam. You sound to me to be a fellow used to the rougher sort of living so I am guessing that this will be just fine for you. Your ladys' taste is another question I'm not going to address. She either will or she won't.

I'd get my tail in a car, head down there and have a look see. If it all goes to hell, well then have a leisurely look around as you head back up to your home state.

I just don't want to see you bite off a tad more than you can chew and be heart broken. Been there a few times myself. If the hull, deck, rigging and sails are ok, it might be good. With that sort of transom you could mount an outboard for power if the perkins is toast. Or rebuild it if you have the ability and the coin. Make and mend is a fine British naval tradition, and if the foundation is good, anything else is gravy and can be done without or worked around.

Good luck.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 14:19   #48

Hillbilly, I just got word that the boat next to me here in Annapolis is 4 sale "cheap". It is rigged & running..(I have heard the engine, myself)..if you want, I`ll take a few photos and send them to you. By the way my boat (one of them) is a Vindo 40 that I got for "free". I`m now about $6K in materials..(my labor does`nt count)...so remember that "free" is a relative term. The main advantage is that I have been able to take many liberties (design changes) with the rebuild. If I had paid thousands for a nice Vindo, that did not require anything major, it would not be as (hopefully) sea worthy as I`m making it.
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 17:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter View Post
Hillbilly, I just got word that the boat next to me here in Annapolis is 4 sale "cheap". It is rigged & running..(I have heard the engine, myself)..if you want, I`ll take a few photos and send them to you. By the way my boat (one of them) is a Vindo 40 that I got for "free". I`m now about $6K in materials..(my labor does`nt count)...so remember that "free" is a relative term. The main advantage is that I have been able to take many liberties (design changes) with the rebuild. If I had paid thousands for a nice Vindo, that did not require anything major, it would not be as (hopefully) sea worthy as I`m making it.
I love these stories of rebuilds - keep 'em coming. If there's enough of us who enjoy slow home cooking rather than (or as well as) glossy takeaways then one day it might be useful to create a renovators sub-group for pic exchanges etc. I'd never heard of the Vindo (not surprising way down here) but had a google and it looks a very solid quality vessel, the ideal type for a rebuild. Allabest.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:28   #50

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter View Post
Yes thankyou i would be very interested if it was a suitable design.
I agree also about the total cost of refitting etc. Thats actually my issue. If it takes me a year and 20k to refit over time thats fine. Just that initial outlay needs to be well low to get me in the game. I'm happy to labour away all day and all night as long as I got something to labour on.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 14:51   #51

Boat: Dufour
Re: Is it Worth the Effort ?

I have a Halmatic 880 & find her easy to sail & responsive considering her weight but yes you will need engine help at times & accomadation is good specially having the raised lounge Thwengine will be a Perkins 4108 good old fashion reliable brit desighn parst readily availaable worldwide.
shauncagiva is offline   Reply With Quote