Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2020, 05:35   #1

Boat: 1988 Catalina C34 TR/WK
is buying a new boat similar to buying an RV

Hi folks, I am sure someone at some point have asked this question, but I could not find it in search. I am considering on purchasing new Bene and trying to understand what is realistic percentage off of MSRP, especially considering current market uncertainty, which hopefully creates an opportunity for a deal. In the world of new RVs you can get anywhere between 25% to 35% off. Is this similar to a production new boat? Looking for feedback from owners with real experience of buying one of the major brands.
Medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 06:55   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: is buying a new boat similar to buying an RV

Probably about right on the percentage. Not going to hurt to give it a shot. What's the worst they can say, no?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 07:25   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

To state the obvious, there is no one definitive answer to this. Having said that, I doubt you will find a 25% discount as dealers profit margin isn’t that much. Nor is it with automobiles either.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 08:21   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 32

When I was in the boat business back in the late 70's the dealer's markup on new boats was only 20%, so not much room for deal-making. I doubt that it is much more these days.
Good luck.
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 08:33   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you're looking for deals, it's far better to be in the used market. Tons of boats for sale, at all sizes, ages and price points. Seems crazy to me to buy new.
Old 18-03-2020, 08:56   #6

I wonder if the marinas and boatyards would be pressured by the state of this economy to lower their slip/storage rates.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:08   #7

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Why pay a premium for a new boat unless you want it designed and built to your specifications? As many a boatyard and marine mechanic has said, “There are as many problems with a new boat as a used one.”

Find a boat 5 to 10 years old that is or has been a liveaboard. Generally liveaboards out of necessity will keep a boat maintained and often routinely upgrade systems.

My experience is many buy new boats and have no idea of the effort and money it takes to properly maintain them. As a result they use them until they are in bad need of maintenance and repair them try and dump them on the marketplace to unsuspecting buyers.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:14   #8

Whyever would anyone buy a STOCK yacht ex factory when NEARLY new yachts of identical make but of greater utility (because the "teething troubles" have been taken care of and the "extras" already installed) are available for a price substantially lower than the sticker price of the ex factory boat?

TrentePIeds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
Why pay a premium for a new boat unless you want it designed and built to your specifications? As many a boatyard and marine mechanic has said, “There are as many problems with a new boat as a used one.”

Find a boat 5 to 10 years old that is or has been a liveaboard. Generally liveaboards out of necessity will keep a boat maintained and often routinely upgrade systems.

My experience is many buy new boats and have no idea of the effort and money it takes to properly maintain them. As a result they use them until they are in bad need of maintenance and repair them try and dump them on the marketplace to unsuspecting buyers.
While I appreciate the comment and may ultimately buy a used boat, I would like to keep this thread focused on the topic if possible.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:04   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

A friend had a very large charter fishing boat, fares only paid operating costs, all the profit comes from the galley he used to say. Most of the profit for a new boat broker comes from the "extras", like instruments, radios, dodgers etc. So like a new car in that the profit is in the undercoating, floor mats, anti theft devices and extended warranty. Since the crash brokers don't keep any new boats "on the lot" but only to fulfill orders.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:33   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

I have had both and I can say that RVs depreciate far faster and with higher rates than most boats. Also don't expect any big discounts on sailing catamarans. Those boats are in high demand and have the lowest depreciation of any boat under 60 feet.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesunrise View Post
I have had both and I can say that RVs depreciate far faster and with higher rates than most boats. Also don't expect any big discounts on sailing catamarans. Those boats are in high demand and have the lowest depreciation of any boat under 60 feet.
Looking at Oceanis 46.1
Old 18-03-2020, 11:29   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

no problem with looking for a deal BUT purchase of a new boat can be more complex than a new car or a house under construction. best to consider some experienced help before you jump in. there are all kinds of traps especially on things like fixing deficiencies including by whom, where and when. Buying used is a lot more straightforward.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 13:22   #14

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
In the world of new RVs you can get anywhere between 25% to 35% off.
With a Beneteau you may get up to 10% off for a model that was in production for a few years and less than 5% for a newly released model.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 14:45   #15

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
Looking at Oceanis 46.1
base $ 324 200 * plus everything
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, new boat