Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 18:38   #1

Importing a boat from U.S. to Canada

Thinking of importing a 38 foot boat from California to Vancouver Island in Canada. Part of the trip is by truck (transporting the boat) the other, sailing it across the border. Curious if anyone on here has purchased a boat in the U.S. and brought it to Canada and if there were any surprises in the process. I'm doing my homework, costing it all out but I can't help but think I might miss something in the planning. Like one suggestion from a girl at a marina in Washington said, "call the government about invasive species, you need to clean the boat substantially before it enters WA." - note to self.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 18:48   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Importing a boat from U.S. to Canada

We bought our current boat in Wisconsin. Sailed it home to Thunder Bay, where we formally imported. No big deal at all. Just declare it as you would anything. Present proper bill of sale. Be prepared to pay taxes (HST or PST/GST). Only slight challenge was to ensure it was de-registered in the US (if the boat is Registered).
Old 11-06-2016, 08:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We bought our current boat in Wisconsin. Sailed it home to Thunder Bay, where we formally imported. No big deal at all. Just declare it as you would anything. Present proper bill of sale. Be prepared to pay taxes (HST or PST/GST). Only slight challenge was to ensure it was de-registered in the US (if the boat is Registered).
Thanks for the info Mike I appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:50   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

The only "invasive" species issues I'm aware of are for boats going into freshwater, Quagga Mussels being the biggest problem in the west now. Nothing in the Pacific at 33 degrees trying to invade up to 45 degrees that I'm aware of.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:19   #5

You do know that you can register your boat in Canada and keep it in the States and avoid paying any Canadian tax.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 13:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
The only "invasive" species issues I'm aware of are for boats going into freshwater, Quagga Mussels being the biggest problem in the west now. Nothing in the Pacific at 33 degrees trying to invade up to 45 degrees that I'm aware of.
Thanks Ted that makes sense, I will be calling all the states I'm traveling through regardless just to be sure.
Old 11-06-2016, 13:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You do know that you can register your boat in Canada and keep it in the States and avoid paying any Canadian tax.
It might be a bit too far for us to drive to Tsawwassen to get to our boat each time we want to take her out, but that is an interesting thought!
Old 11-06-2016, 13:37   #8

I googled it.

one of the hits was this:

Pat's Boating in Canada

If you google it you'll also get the Canadian websites that explain it all.

Like this one:

Importing marine pleasure craft
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 16:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
It might be a bit too far for us to drive to Tsawwassen to get to our boat each time we want to take her out, but that is an interesting thought!
Well as we both know it depends on the selling price of the boat and the tax owed. Good luck on your purchase!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 16:31   #10

I brought mine in to Victoria after purchasing in Seattle...was a breeze. I used

MARINE TITLES (CANADA) LTD.

400-1681 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6J 4M6 TEL 604•736•3377 FAX 604•736•3072
marinetitlesltd@telus.net

They registered the boat nationally for me including a name change, deregistered it with US coast guard & also did paperwork so I had temporary registration for the 3 months it took Canada to send me my paperwork...
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:30   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Very simple as long as it is a US or Canadian built boat. You pay the tax for the province you import into. Be aware that boats bult elsewhere will incur various duties depending on the country of origin. Example, French built boats incur an additional 9% duty.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've done it twice. Once for a CG documented vessel (Hunter 35.5), the other non registered or licensed (Cal 25 under 10hp).

The registrar of ships in Toronto made it pretty easy. Make sure you get the right CG docs at the time of sale...I think one has to be notarized. Wasn't a problem for me, since I purchased from a lawyer in an office full or notaries.

I used a customs broker. His fee was modest, but the GST was painful.

I had a new name and port of entry on the boat, and a brand new blue book in short order. Yes, there's some paperwork, and some fees, but nothing too difficult. Make a list, and stick to it. Good luck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I brought mine in to Victoria after purchasing in Seattle...was a breeze. I used

MARINE TITLES (CANADA) LTD.

400-1681 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6J 4M6 TEL 604•736•3377 FAX 604•736•3072
marinetitlesltd@telus.net

They registered the boat nationally for me including a name change, deregistered it with US coast guard & also did paperwork so I had temporary registration for the 3 months it took Canada to send me my paperwork...
Thanks Eder. I've looked into doing it all myself didn't seem too complicated, but I'm sure I'll miss something. I wonder if a broker would help with the deregistration? will ask. Can you tell me what their fee was like?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
...I used a customs broker. His fee was modest, but the GST was painful.
Thanks! I'm lucky in BC so it's only PST that I pay. However I called the CGov hotline and a woman said I had to pay 12% PST as a boat is not considered "goods/services" but after doing further research I think she was wrong and I only have to pay 7% which would be a huge bonus.

Some info for any other boaters importing into BC: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf

"If you bring a boat into BC from outside Canada, you must pay PST at the rate of 7% on the taxable value of the boat. The taxable value is the value of the boat as determined under the
Excise Tax Act (Canada)."
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13   #15

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Dead easy, just remember to get your "out of country for X days" allowance.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, import