Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30   #46
cruiser

Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

I've heard of people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel and surviving.... 'just because they survived, doesn't mean that it was a good idea to do it.

The folks in the previous blog/link should also check their keel prior to departure... my 450 keel came off when the keel bolts corroded. It's well documented in Hunter forums, and a problem that was totally ignored by Hunter Marine. Hunter wouldn't even return my phone calls when it happened two years ago.

But I stand by my compliment, that Hunter makes an excellent dockside condo and day sailer. My wife loved the full-sized shower and queen sized bed., but was a nervous wreck whenever we encountered winds over 25 knots, even when triple reefed. I used to show off by sailing her back into the marina without the sails up, just on the freeboard alone... not exactly the kind of design feature you'd want on an ocean going vessel.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40   #47

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've heard of people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel and surviving.... 'just because they survived, doesn't mean that it was a good idea to do it.

The folks in the previous blog/link should also check their keel prior to departure...

If the keel really "fell off", I'd attribute that to your choice of commissioning yard, not the manufacturer. I've read extensively in the Hunter forum and can't recall ever seeing "well documented" criticisms of keels falling off - can you cite a specific example or link to the thread to which you refer????????????????????????

My point was not to dismiss your or other opinions entirely; rather, to point out that ANY generality is ALWAYS a stupid thing to say in any context.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44   #48

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
"in NO WAY was the 450 up to the task"

or was it?
Here is one example of a contemporary Hunter ocean sailing:

Sequitur

Yet another example of facts trumping perceptions.
Your own arguments contradict your own actions. If you felt hunters were so capable, then why would you spend 2-3 times as much on a hylas? After sailing that, you said the hunter was just as good, so why go ahead and spend money on a boat 3-4 times as much? That being your current boat, the Alden of course, but unless you like wasting money, your arguments don't make sense.
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52   #49

There is so much BS going on here. If you want true knowledgeable critiques of the Hunter 54 go here SailboatOwners.com

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
Your own arguments contradict your own actions. If you felt hunters were so capable, then why would you spend 2-3 times as much on a hylas? After sailing that, you said the hunter was just as good, so why go ahead and spend money on a boat 3-4 times as much? That being your current boat, the Alden of course, but unless you like wasting money, your arguments don't make sense.
Not that it's any of your business but we inherited the Hylas and traded both for the Alden in a deal no one could say no to.

Why are so skeptical of other people's experience and a different point of view as though yours must be the only valid one?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
Not that it's any of your business but we inherited the Hylas and traded both for the Alden in a deal no one could say no to.

Why are so skeptical of other people's experience and a different point of view as though yours must be the only valid one?
I think I had a right to be curious about that. Now that it makes sense, I understand your argument better than I once did.
Old 02-08-2012, 16:22   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
My point was not to dismiss your or other opinions entirely; rather, to point out that ANY generality is ALWAYS a stupid thing to say in any context.
If this statement was not meant as a joke... well, it is the best example of a self-cancelling pronunciation that I have ever seen!

If it was a joke, it worked... I laughed.

Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 23:24   #53

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Hunter officially sold yesterday to the new owners.

Is my tin foil hat on backwards or has all the forums lately been running overtime to try to tarnish the image of Hunter in an effort to lower the value of the stock? Rumors in a public sale like this always bring prices lower.

Glad the sale is over now and the folly in the forums can now dry up.
Old 02-08-2012, 23:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo
Hunter officially sold yesterday to the new owners.

Is my tin foil hat on backwards or has all the forums lately been running overtime to try to tarnish the image of Hunter in an effort to lower the value of the stock? Rumors in a public sale like this always bring prices lower.

Glad the sale is over now and the folly in the forums can now dry up.
They went bankrupt for a reason. Maybe they can follow the American trend of going bankrupt to then making a fantastic product (think Chrysler, GM).
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53   #55

I am also posting looking for a Safe Coastal Cruiser in another thread. It concerns me of the bashing that someone receives when stating their opinion based on years of experience sailing, as well as personal experience in the boat in question. The last thing that I would want when asked for opinions of a boat, is my life and safety put at risk because someone failed, or was bullied into not giving their opinion based on their personal experience of that boat. This forum is based on opinions, some of those from actual experience, other from what someone reads. I hope and pray, when I make my decision, it is based on those with actual experience, and not some guy reading a mag sitting on a coach drinking a beer.
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59   #56

In Training
Considering we're pretty much in a recession, it is a buyer's market for boats.
Long before you choose a boat, you are going to have to come up w/your requirements.
For me it was roller furling EVERYTHING & it has paid off handsomely! I can single hand my 53' ketch!
Secondly, I wanted a "real" bed, not a v-berth or bunk. Walk around & no custom linens.
A stand-up engine room was also necessary, as I do all that stuff myself & I'm too old to enjoy the contortionist thing any more.
Electric winches seemed like a good idea & have proved to be every bit as important as I had hoped.
Being a professional seaman, a real "bridge" was also very appealing; no rain squalls in foul gear, cursing the weather.
I got 4 of 5, which anyone who is knowledgeable about boats will tell you is pretty darn good. And I got my Pearson for $70k less than the asking price (way below your 150k)!
So figure out what you want to use the boat for, what you need, what you'd like to have & what you will settle for, then go looking for boats. All boats are a compromise, unless you have an unlimited budget AND the time to build.
Then after you've found several dozen with various features, do some research (the web works well for that, you know), and whittle down that number to a few. Go look at the few. Then make an offer....
I'm not going to give you a list of reputable boat manufacturers. Find the few, then email me if you want an honest opinion & I will do my best to help you.
Good luck. I love my lifestyle, most days anyway. Today isn't high on that list though, as tropical storm Ernesto is passing to the north & it's rainy & gloomy out & I don't have a bridge!
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

I only read page 2 just to see what was going on. I see the internet experts have been at it.

I'm starting to feel maybe the Hunter bashers are just experiencing boat envy and this is their way to address their personal problem!

As an ex Hunter basher, I can say I love my Hunter and would take it anywhere. Some of you people are just small close minded and need to get something better to criticize.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
They went bankrupt for a reason. Maybe they can follow the American trend of going bankrupt to then making a fantastic product (think Chrysler, GM).
They went bankrupt because of the two powerboat divisions that the parent company Luhrs, had that were under performing. Not because of the sailboat division.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48   #59

Boat: OEM, proportional

Go to it, boys; unlike most, I like a spirited discussion! (This can be done without foul language or resorting to attacking the person rather than their argument.). Good thread!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:49   #60

Quote:
Baseless implications like lack of quality have no place here.

Tags
hunter