Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 19:54   #151

Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

What are you self described experts talking about? Get your facts straight. How can you sail on a newer hunter and complain about a hunter 54 that you've never been on. You bashers aren't even talking about the same boat. Talk to an owner if you want real answers. The bashers complain about poor quality,no back stay,confusing shrouds(b and r rig),hull being too narrow to create bashing to weather,huge sailplane etc.
What hunter 54 has any of this.
The rig you so called experts are talking about was developed decades after the 54 was made. 54s have permante back stays. Tha narrow hull slices through chop and waves easier than beamier boats. The sailplane if anything is under powered made that way for easy sail handling for a couple. I've been racing big boats on sf bay and the pacific ocean for over 20 years and actually own a hunter 54, not just heard of some sort of a hunter that wasn't built as tough as a more expensive boat.
For all you naysayers that put down a boat you know nothing about, jump on another band wagon,maybe pintos or beta videos. I'd like to see just 1 of you back up your claims with facts. Sad how people with no knowledge of what they are ranting about can effect people that are looking for the boat of their dreams. Potential buyers, ask people that own or at least have sailed for some time on your dream boat. The answers to your questions will be more relevant.
wetcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Aaaa... In sight of land right?

RT
Nah. If a deal I'm working goes through, I'll likely be sailing one to Oz.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00   #153

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:

Don't believe a word I say. But to ignore owner statements just shows that you are in obstinate denial.
RT

Despite repeated attempts by others to limit comments to things people actually know, you persist... Why?

And what "owner statements" show me you are correct about anything?

Note 2 questions - please don't ignore both again
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59   #154
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcorvette View Post
What are you self described experts talking about? Get your facts straight. How can you sail on a newer hunter and complain about a hunter 54 that you've never been on. You bashers aren't even talking about the same boat. Talk to an owner if you want real answers. The bashers complain about poor quality,no back stay,confusing shrouds(b and r rig),hull being too narrow to create bashing to weather,huge sailplane etc.
What hunter 54 has any of this.
The rig you so called experts are talking about was developed decades after the 54 was made. 54s have permante back stays. Tha narrow hull slices through chop and waves easier than beamier boats. The sailplane if anything is under powered made that way for easy sail handling for a couple. I've been racing big boats on sf bay and the pacific ocean for over 20 years and actually own a hunter 54, not just heard of some sort of a hunter that wasn't built as tough as a more expensive boat.
For all you naysayers that put down a boat you know nothing about, jump on another band wagon,maybe pintos or beta videos. I'd like to see just 1 of you back up your claims with facts. Sad how people with no knowledge of what they are ranting about can effect people that are looking for the boat of their dreams. Potential buyers, ask people that own or at least have sailed for some time on your dream boat. The answers to your questions will be more relevant.
You have an empty argument because you are not considering the OP’s original question.

“Typical thread, just looking for some quick info. I am looking at a few 1981-1983 Hunter 54's, seems like for a production Hunter it will do well crossing oceans. Any thoughts?”

You don’t have to own one or sail one to know that her design flaws are a major draw back if you are considering a Hunter 54 for “crossing oceans”. All you have to do is go on Hunterowners.com and do a search (Hunter 54) and read through ALL the matches. Those are your expert opinions. You will find the same consensus if you read the reviews on this boat in Sailnet and Scuttlebutt.

You and other owners just won’t concede the fact that Hunter’s Bastard Child with it’s garage door and misplaced rudder (its biggest flaws) is at best a coastal cruiser that can get into a safe port if the sea threatens. Cross an ocean without at least fixing the garage door is putting you and crew at risk.

Now, if you have FACTS that suggest that this is NOT a serious problem considering the OP’s original question please present them. So far no one has been able to refute this. Please note, a lucky voyage across an ocean does not count.

From the owner’s son J. Cherubini in a reply to someone looking to buy a 54.

“My very strong suggestion for you is to fibreglass over the dinghy garage!!! This was NEVER a good idea from a seaworthiness standpoint and in my estimation– though I have never sailed a 54 through any weather– you ought not to run the risk of getting pooped and letting that hole flood.__I had a conversation/debate with the Annapolis sales reps when the 54 first came out, asking if that dinghy door were watertight. The reps all chimed in that it was. Seeing only a handle there I asked what kept it closed (none of this was under my father's auspices as designer and so I had no clue as to how they had done it). They said it was 'spring-loaded'. I turned to my then-amused neophyte girlfriend and said, 'In my experience, nothing "spring-loaded" is ever "watertight".' Those two adjectives must be considered by the prudent yachtsman as mutually exclusive.__Please, Andrea, solve the potental catastrophe of the dinghy garage before leaving port. Use a very reliable weatherstripping, put duct tape over the door seam, even screw the bloody thing shut– and don't complain about having the dinghy in the way till you are in protected waters. No pram stored on deck could ever be more of an inconvenience than 80-odd cubic feet of water-tank waiting to be filled by an angry following sea in the north 40s. That dinghy garage idea was born and bred on the lee shore of the Gulf of Mexico and never intended to cross entire oceans. However I am sure that once you are rid of this worry you will have a very fast if somewhat bumpy trip, and be able to enjoy the Med in a very roomy, cool-looking boat. Say hello to the Gib for me!”__JC

Before you buy this boat read ALL the posts good and bad. You will be surprised how many other flaws are inherent in this boat, most of which are attributed to Hunter’s poor quality control.

If you are looking for a fast boat to cross oceans there are better boats to choose from. Choose wisely….

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06   #155
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Despite repeated attempts by others to limit comments to things people actually know, you persist... Why?

And what "owner statements" show me you are correct about anything?

Note 2 questions - please don't ignore both again
Despite repeated attempts to present the FACTS you persist in defending the Hunter 54 as a Blue Water boat. What owner statements? I know you are adverse to Internet research but I am certainly not going to do it for you.
I have told you where to look. Quit being lazy and try to keep up.

RT

PS I stand by my statement that you and others are in obstinate denial. Go buy one. Make sure you are insured. And I mean life insurance....
Old 11-08-2012, 10:09   #156

Quote:
I have told you where to look.
RT

There are no negative comments in the hunter owner forum to which you refer. Are you dreaming?

And again, why persist in criticizing something about which you have no personal experience?
Old 11-08-2012, 13:55   #157

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

There really are some altered realities here. Its called predjudice, which humans are known for.
There are distortions on both sides of the arguement here.
From a pragmatic vew point it may not be the ideal blue water boat but hey lifes a compromise. One persons ideal is anothers 4 kntshtbx that is unsinkable & will get caught by the weather. They have and will be sailed in the future, b/w, by some who sail competently.
The beaureaucrats amongst us would have the water police at the 5 mile limit & mandatory "this is not a bluewater boat" stamped on boats that, in there opinion, people should be protected from.
Get over yourselves.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:42   #158
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There are no negative comments in the hunter owner forum to which you refer. Are you dreaming?

And again, why persist in criticizing something about which you have no personal experience?
Hmmm... Your responses are akin to the 8th graders I taught in Middle School. In other words if I can’t find it in 5 minutes then it’s not there. You can honestly say that you did not read the problems associated with the following?

Keel leaks, keel bolts, keel cracks, oil canning, flexing, thin fiberglass lay-up, delamination in bows, rudder leaks, rudder shaft (excuse me, tube). They couldn’t afford to put in a solid shaft? Quadrant and steering problems, hull leaks that owners have given up on, floors rotting (interior and cockpit), inadequate cockpit and garage drains, hatch and port light leaks, toe rail leaks… should I go on?

Oh, did I mention rudder moved to accommodate dingy garage secured by a spring loaded door that reveals a cavernous 80 cubic feet in the transom. Aside from the floating bulkheads no wonder she in noisy.

Are you sure you are floating around in an Alden 50 or are you living in pipe dreaming?

RT
Old 11-08-2012, 14:49   #159
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
There really are some altered realities here. Its called predjudice, which humans are known for.
There are distortions on both sides of the arguement here.
From a pragmatic vew point it may not be the ideal blue water boat but hey lifes a compromise. One persons ideal is anothers 4 kntshtbx that is unsinkable & will get caught by the weather. They have and will be sailed in the future, b/w, by some who sail competently.
The beaureaucrats amongst us would have the water police at the 5 mile limit & mandatory "this is not a bluewater boat" stamped on boats that, in there opinion, people should be protected from.
Get over yourselves.
No distortions just testimonials. The fact is with some design changes and a lot of money it could be an acceptable blue water cruiser like Cherubini intended.

Let's face it, Hunter marketing screwed up...

RT
Old 11-08-2012, 17:37   #160

Quote:
Hmmm... Your responses are akin to the 8th graders I taught in Middle School. In other words if I can’t find it in 5 minutes then it’s not there. You can honestly say that you did not read the problems associated with the following?

Keel leaks, keel bolts, keel cracks, oil canning, flexing, thin fiberglass lay-up, delamination in bows, rudder leaks, rudder shaft (excuse me, tube). They couldn’t afford to put in a solid shaft? Quadrant and steering problems, hull leaks that owners have given up on, floors rotting (interior and cockpit), inadequate cockpit and garage drains, hatch and port light leaks, toe rail leaks… should I go on?

Oh, did I mention rudder moved to accommodate dingy garage secured by a spring loaded door that reveals a cavernous 80 cubic feet in the transom. Aside from the floating bulkheads no wonder she in noisy.

Are you sure you are floating around in an Alden 50 or are you living in pipe dreaming?

RT
It's way too easy to play this guy... do you realize that demonstrating a consistent credibility problem isn't a virtue?
Old 11-08-2012, 19:10   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nah. If a deal I'm working goes through, I'll likely be sailing one to Oz.
Looking forward to catching up Charles, either Oz or Vanuatu .

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 19:28   #162

Quote:

RT
Apart from the "Dinghy garage" you have described most older boats that have, but should not have sailed the oceans. Just add make and model to your statement.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 11-08-2012, 20:29   #163
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Apart from the "Dinghy garage" you have described most older boats that have, but should not have sailed the oceans. Just add make and model to your statement.
People have taken teacups across oceans. That doesn't qualify them as blue water boats. It only makes the captain certifiable.

Obviously we are at an impasse so let me pose a question all can answer. You are planning to drop out of the rat race and go around the world with your family. You are enamored by the lines of a Hunter 54. You’re in love. You have read all that is published about its flaws and virtues. You find one that is cherry, near mint condition and the price is right. You buy it.

How do you prepare this stock boat to cross your first ocean?

RT
Old 11-08-2012, 20:54   #164

Quote:
People have taken teacups across oceans. That doesn't qualify them as blue water boats. It only makes the captain certifiable.

Obviously we are at an impasse so let me pose a question all can answer. You are planning to drop out of the rat race and go around the world with your family. You are enamored by the lines of a Hunter 54. You’re in love. You have read all that is published about its flaws and virtues. You find one that is cherry, near mint condition and the price is right. You buy it.

How do you prepare this stock boat to cross your first ocean?

RT
Check all systems are serviceable, check spares, check food , if the weather is good just go. No one goes to weather for too long if they can help it, Just wait for the weather.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 11-08-2012, 23:49   #165

Boat: C&C 40
If you ask Matt ruthterford, any boat can be sailed anywhere. The only difference is how comfortable the future journey will be. Oh wait, that seems like the question ::
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter