Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2022, 01:57   #1

Boat: Amel Sharki
HR 41 hull needs repair?

I'm looking at the photos of a fairly cheap (I think?) 1980 HR41 in Italy and hoping someone might be able to educate me on the hull. Does this just look like it's not been worked on in awhile? It looks like maybe work started on it but never finished? Other pictures suggest it's been sitting around for awhile. The deck looks pretty dirty to me. The inside looks great though (as far as I can tell).

Obviously it needs a surveyor to really know, I'm just trying to determine if it's worth pursuing.

Another suspicious thing is that this is listed twice on YachtWorld with different brokers.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_5_HR 41 (7).jpg
Views:	347
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	266275   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_8_HR 41 (10).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	266276  

thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 02:14   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: HR 41 hull needs repair?

Thursday, I have surveyed some older Hallberg Rassy and always been impressed how well they have held their age.
The two-broker thing is nothing unusual, often the owner is sick of the broker not selling the boat so after the exclusive contract expires, he enlists another broker.
I would get her surveyed and take it from there. Hopefully the engine has been replaced and the rigging is not too old.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 02:34   #3

Warning: Most cheap boats aren't cheap.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 02:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Warning: Most cheap boats aren't cheap.
Thanks for the warning. I think I'm aware enough to know that it's cheap for a reason and what you save in money you pay in sweat. It is important to go in with eyes open and thank you for the reminder.
Old 24-10-2022, 04:51   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I don't think there's anything in those photos to indicate hull damage. It looks like it needs to have lots of bottom paint layers stripped off, maybe have a barrier coat applied, and then new bottom paint.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 05:53   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I owned a Hallberg-Rassy 35 Rasmus. Same designer, same vintage. I can confer with Fore and Aft, they a well put together.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 06:41   #7

I'v been looking around for boats for the better part of a year. Mostly just trying to learn what I can before committing. HR comes up pretty early, so you hear the legends. Also, being from Sweden, can't talk boats there without HR. But I mostly wrote them off just due to cost. But looking now, there are a few models that are within my budget and I also like. Specifically the 352, and the 41.

The main drawback, in my opinion, and again, I'm a novice, is the teak decks. This one I've asked about is a 41 with no teak deck, and I'm trying to get details on when it was removed and how.

Celestialsailor and Fore and Aft, do you have any opinions on HR and teak given first-hand experience? I know the general advice on watch out, but anything you can relate from your experiences?
Old 24-10-2022, 08:07   #8

Mine did not ever have ream decks. I think the 41s did not have teak. I personally have seen plenty of problems with teak decks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-10-2022, 09:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday View Post
I'm looking at the photos of a fairly cheap (I think?) 1980 HR41 in Italy and hoping someone might be able to educate me on the hull. Does this just look like it's not been worked on in awhile? It looks like maybe work started on it but never finished? Other pictures suggest it's been sitting around for awhile. The deck looks pretty dirty to me. The inside looks great though (as far as I can tell).

Obviously it needs a surveyor to really know, I'm just trying to determine if it's worth pursuing.

Another suspicious thing is that this is listed twice on YachtWorld with different brokers.

Thank you
Looks like a very bad powerwash
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 21:48   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thursday the thing with teak decks until you remove them you really have no idea what's underneath. If they are really bad you can usually feel major flexing as you walk on them. That's a guarantee the deck core is rotten. The worst I have seen is water leaking through light fittings that were screwed to the deck underside!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 11:21   #11

The broker got back to me. They said:

1. The deck kiwi-grip but it's as done wrong and needs to be redone.
2. The owner is selling because they don't use the boat anymore.
3. The teak deck was removed by the original owner over 20 years ago.
4. The boat has been out of the water since 2019. Looks like it's just been stored on the hard since then.
5. Engine maintenance will be performed in a month to replace the battery.

My novice opinion is that a survey needs to be done but looks like like it's probably in good shape except for the bottom paint and deck. That work doesn't look too crazy to me, something I think I could do myself with some research.

Anyone have an suggestions on things to look at? For me the main issue is that the boat is a plane trip away so to go all the way to viewing it is relatively large commitment. I also don't know anything about buying a boat in another country, but all that can be learned.
Old 28-10-2022, 15:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday View Post
The broker got back to me. They said:

1. The deck kiwi-grip but it's as done wrong and needs to be redone.
2. The owner is selling because they don't use the boat anymore.
3. The teak deck was removed by the original owner over 20 years ago.
4. The boat has been out of the water since 2019. Looks like it's just been stored on the hard since then.
5. Engine maintenance will be performed in a month to replace the battery.

My novice opinion is that a survey needs to be done but looks like like it's probably in good shape except for the bottom paint and deck. That work doesn't look too crazy to me, something I think I could do myself with some research.

Anyone have an suggestions on things to look at? For me the main issue is that the boat is a plane trip away so to go all the way to viewing it is relatively large commitment. I also don't know anything about buying a boat in another country, but all that can be learned.

Maybe make sure the surveyor has a "marine" moisture reader and he really knows how to use it. I say this because if it did have teak decks, there might be some damage.
Old 28-10-2022, 16:05   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Looks like someone worked the bottom pretty hard. Without checking it for moisture or voids it’s anyone guess. Paying a surveyor for that level of work takes luck to find that skill level applied. Some have old gear they never recalibrate.
I’ve a pal who bought a $4,000.00 boat before I could stop him. Currently after 6 times sailing (not kidding) he needs rigging sails worth 8 times what he paid for the boat. I found him a nice 37 Jeanneau for 50k which needed nothing. Had new electronics 3 year old sails, clean through out. He’s paying 7,000 $ a year to park the wreck. It’s likely going to cost him $5,000 to wreck it.
For around 9,000 you can get a 20’ Sunfast with 3 sleeping bag births a thedford Porta Potti and a sink.
You sailing and it’s a trade up asset.
Ask the guys in the boat yard how many years have they been working on the boat and how many hours they got in sailing. They are a wonderful bunch, experts on getting clean but they miss a lot of boating.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 21:25   #14

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Doesn’t sound, or look, like anything out of the ordinary. The hull has been out of the water a few years. The bottom looks normal for a hull that’s been out of the water for a few years - particularily if weathered by winter freezing conditions and snow. Your not going to find anything amiss with a moisture meter. The hulls been drying out for three years or so…. So moisture content will be negligible.

Any good surveyor will tell you if the deck is delaminated, just by taping on the surface. Any bad core will sound flat, or dead, whereas solid layup will sound “sharp” and sort of ring true when you tap on with a hammer.

As others have said, pictures would be helpful. For your first boat, easy day sailing, you can get by with well used gear and rigging. Upgrade and replace as you learn more about the boat.

Good luck and have fun!
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 06:14   #15

Thank you for the advice everyone!

Tags
hull, repair