Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 14:14   #16

Boat: Outremer 51
Re: How to achieve the cruiser lifestyle 10 years from now...comfortably

You’re 35 and you want to go in 10 years. Some things to think about...

1. Are you going to be able to get enough income that you can sail without needing to work? As others have said and there are many resources available that discuss the cost of cruising, it can be a flexible range but assuming you want reasonable safety and ability to handle the unexpected (new sail, new saildrive etc) I would suggest that you decide if you are in the minimalist, average or comfort cruising category and set a target annual expense budget. In my view the middle ground is about $100k iin today’s money f you really want to travel e.g. circumnavigation but less if you are ok just hanging around most of the time in anchorages. Can you get the income you’ll need with the skills, assets and experience you have? If you just want to have income from investments, you’ll need a lot of capital, especially with yields the way they are these days. If you can find another way that allows you to disappear for lengthy periods of time or operate remotely then maybe you can do this with less.

2. While you are getting your income stream together, sail as much as you can on various boats. Get trained - you’ll be a better sailor and save money on stupid stuff. The more you sail the better decision you will finally make buying a boat - if you can get this right or about right first time, you’ll save a lot of time and money. I don’t suggest buying a boat now. Concentrate on sailing as many boats as you can at first - charter, sailing schools, crew for others etc etc. Once you have a rough idea what kind of boat you both like, buy a cheap one and start getting experience fixing it and sailing it. Just weekends and short holidays. This will allow you to get on the boat insurance ladder and start getting your premiums under control (as much as you can).

3. Keep fit. Plan to live outside the USA or pay a lot of money for health insurance - bear in mind that right now you think you’re invincible, once you get into your 50’s or 60’s you’ll need to spend more time and money on your health than you do now.

In five or six years I would think that you’ll know if sailing is really for you and your partner (it’s a lot easier if you both want to do it) and if your plans for financial independence are realistic or not. These are really the two big decisions. Hope this helps.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 14:29   #17

Boat: no boat any more

...in 15, 20 years our “cruiser lifestyle“ (bluewater/tradewind circumnavigation with emphasis on tropics) will no longer be there. There will be organized circumnavigations, strictly structured, with limitations on where to stop, rules, compulsory boat equipment & inspections, mandatory qualifications for skipper & crew (the WARC is just the beginning). The next step will be that the boats will have to be hired from the eventorganizer, different sizes will be on offer.
(We started bluewater cruising in 81 & after 3 rtw we set off again last year after a break of 19 years. So we can well evaluate the course “our“ cruising lifestyle is going to take)
Old 23-09-2019, 06:18   #18

Boat: Looking at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
She lasted 6 months then came home. He lasted 25 years (on two different boats) and returned home during the summers
My wife is not into sailing at the moment and gets sea sick, so my plan is to start sailing locally and then retire in 8 years and plan trips where she could fly too and i'd sail too, and spend the holidays at home with the family.
Wunderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:23   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderlust View Post
My wife is not into sailing at the moment and gets sea sick, so my plan is to start sailing locally and then retire in 8 years and plan trips where she could fly too and i'd sail too, and spend the holidays at home with the family.
Sounds like a good plan especially if you have been married for years.

Might be better for all involved but you'll have to get used to single handing or get a crew
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser