Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 11:15   #16

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"
We just bought a Haida 26 and are preparing it for a bluewater cruize. I'd be interested in how others have done this.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 23:36   #17

going offshore in a haida

you have a boat thats about 40 years old so depending on whats been replaced already you have alot of things to do and check

1 the original rudder fitting are not strong enough, so you need to beef them up
2 the hatch opening is huge if you have an original flush deck model, most people have built some sort of doghouse over it
3 if you have an inboard diesel that is great otherwise you need to put one in at great expense or mount an out board on the transom and be prepared to do more sailing- a 6 hp will push it at 5kn with the right prop
4 you need to seal off the engine well and install another cockpit drain- I raised the cockpit sole by a ft so there was alot less weight to worry about when a big wave came over
5 you need to check/replace the chain plates- some people have beefed them up but I never had any problems with the stock ones
6 you should probably replace all the stainless rigging if it hasnt been done in the last few years - the standard size is ok maybe go for a bigger forestay
7 some of the early stainless mast fittings were weak- check
8 keel bolts - I have never heard of a keel falling off a haida but you should check them, they were tapped into the iron keel-possibly x- ray or you may be able to get one out by double nutting it-ask shipwright
9 you should get some more protection for the windows along the hull
10 self steering - the easiest thing to do is buy an till pilot but mount it further along the tiller for more contol over the big rudder- I made a trim tab for the rudder which did work after alot of experimentation but easier to buy one
brent57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 23:21   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I live aboard and sail my Haida on Lake Union. Her name is Keet, which translates to "killer whale." I am planning on keeping a hold of her for a while. The cast iron keel does worry me a bit, but appears not to be rusting, and she is in fresh water.

I replaced the entire cockpit benches and several spots on deck due to rot. Paint your deck!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:17   #19

Boat: Haida 26
Deck

My deck is solid as a rock, no signs of rot any where. I feel very fortunate with out any rot problems. The deck is painted with very good non-skid. I'm going to put my hatch on slides this year and build a small dodger to keep the solon a little dryer. Have rigged a storm Trysail on a seperate track on the mast, also installed a removable staysail headstay to balance the rigg in a blow. The boat now heaves to very nicely.......
.........Michael .....skipper of the Ruby Jean........
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:22   #20

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold
Friend of mine sails out of Deep Cove, Vancouver in his Haida. He races it a lot and wins consistently in his division. Not only is she fast, she has an unbelievable rating(over 200 I think) I don't know if he's been offshore and didn't realize what a tough little boat it was till I read this thread. With blessings from Bob Perry how could you lose?
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:34   #21

Just got back from a 4 day new years cruise. boat was great but no heavy weather. Nothing over 15 knots. The southern gulf islands are so great this time of year.

I have a 1988 johnson 8 hp short shaft that sits in the motor well. She cruises at 6.5 knots. Keeps up to a friends aloha 34 and catalina 30 under motor and beats them both under sail. We had a makeshift new years day regatta.

I'm curious about why the well needs to be sealed for bluewater cruising?? Completly sealed off permanatly or just sealed. It is completly seperate from the rest of the boat and acts as a cockpit scupper. I do know of another guy who sealed his off as well.

As for the keel, THE KEEL IS A FLANGE TYPE AND THE BOLTS ARE THRU BOLTED THRU THE FLANGE. I helped install the keel on hull #9 so removing them to check is not a option without grindind away to expose the other end of them on the bottom of the flange.

My boat needs her cockpit rebuilt due to rot. gonna start as soon as the days get a little longer.

this is a great thread for us haida owners.
Haida7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06   #22

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
If you need some help rebuilding that cockpit you should look for me. I had to do it on my Haida.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 19:38   #23

Our's is hull #14, rebuilt some time in the 90's by John Guzwell Jr. We are refurbishing all systems on a tight budget and hope to sail to Sea of Cortez. Any thoughts on choice of outboard for the well?
Old 28-01-2011, 08:36   #24

Outboard

I use a Honda 8 hp, it has a 6 amp charging system built in. Long shaft in the well. Needless to say, I like the motor in the well, the hull speed is good so don't worry about drag. This motor operates on 1/2 gallon @ 6 knots. Can't complain about that. Stay in touch.
..........Michael.... skipper of the Ruby Jean
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:32   #25

That motor weighs 98 pounds!! Do you pull it up somehow during extended sailing? Or can you leave the prop in neutral to reduce drag? I have friends in Coos Bay, and visited there about a year ago.
Old 02-02-2011, 22:06   #26

Boat: Haida 26 "Orca"
Hi All,
I got myself a haida about a year ago but didn't get a chance to bring it home until this southern summer. What a great boat. 510nm in 4 1/2 days solo. Thats almost 5kts average, and I wasn't pushing her. Great average for a yacht which is only 22ft on the water line.
I have a very good dog house on a flush deck and I found her very dry even in a gale. Nothing got wet all trip.
Shyloh
shyloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 22:08   #27

Boat: Haida 26 "Orca"
hi Mate, I think you'll find that leaving the prop in gear so it doesn't spin will give you less drag
shyloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Never had a Haida - they sound nice boats - but back when I had a similar sized boat with outboard power (on Transom) never found much difference in sailing performance I could really identify between engine dropped or tilted. Of course that could say more about my sailing skills or that at 6hp (4 stroke) for a 21 footer a bit more than really needed (came with the boat) - not too big that I was ever tempted to downsize though . FWIW I always left the motor in Neutral (but that simply so I didn't forget when starting ).

I figured that larger yachts cope well enough with a prop in the water 24/7 and by no means all bother with a folding or feathering prop..........and besides, it is what it is, simply one of the compromises that you have to live with on boats - of all sizes and values.

Happy sailing & voyaging
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22   #29

Just pretend your Haida has a sail drive. Way more efficent and you won't have to look at that ugly motor of the back when you look behind you at all the catalina 30's. These boats are a west coast classic. Putting a ugly kicker on the transom is a insult to her. They're way to classy for that. Hey Shyloh got any picks of that doghouse. I'd like to see how it was built onto the flush deck!
Haida7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 20:14   #30

I cannot find a diagram or outline of the keel of the Haida 26 anywhere on the net. I don't yet know what I got. I'll take a swim when it warms up and have a look-see. I'd guess a longer fin keel.

Tags
Haida