Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 14:05   #91

Re: Good Bluewater Boat for female

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
If indeed you are looking for a Pearson, I have a 10 m I would part with for a very reasonable price. Yanmar 3GMF, reasonably new head sail, main in very good condition. Would need some work to take offshore, but with the upgrades you'll still end up under your budget. PM me if you're interested, I will send you pictures and more detail.

Regardless, best of luck to you!
This post has been my first true temptation... I loved my 10M. It's funny - I think she loved me as much. (Do I anthropomorphize? Why, yes. Yes, I do.)

Please keep me posted on your developments with yours. If everything goes pear-shaped and I end up staying in the northeast I'll reach out -
KellyMarcena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 15:44   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Bluewater Boat for female

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
There are tons of VERY old and weak people who manage large boats just fine.

So, “it depends”

I’d say if you can do 20 push ups in a minute, about the same sit-ups, tread water for 5min and have a 115 or better IQ, you’ll be fine on anything as long as the layouts allows it to be logically single handed.

Your havin a larf..
20 push ups in a minute.???
I have not been able to do that for years.. if ever
The IQ the same.. though mine is/was pretty high.. analytical ability and adaptability trumps IQ every time.
Being on the wrong side of the Pond from you my recommendations will be different from many.. Rival 31/32/34, Elizabethan 30 and up, Nicholson 31/32, Contest 33 to name a few.
Enjoy the humt..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 16:55   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Your havin a larf..
20 push ups in a minute.???
I have not been able to do that for years.. if ever
The IQ the same.. though mine is/was pretty high.. analytical ability and adaptability trumps IQ every time.
Being on the wrong side of the Pond from you my recommendations will be different from many.. Rival 31/32/34, Elizabethan 30 and up, Nicholson 31/32, Contest 33 to name a few.
Enjoy the humt..
Well said, Boatie. I reckon that 20 pushups a month would overtax most of the successful and long term cruisers that I know, yet they are "out there doin' it", year after year.

Jim
Old 27-11-2020, 17:31   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It doesn't make any difference what gender, size, height,etc... If someone is dependent on strength to sail, anchor, etc..., they are doing it wrong.
Mmmm.. Ever tried to hump a sail up from the locker by yourself, then manage it while hanging it on to a stay, or douse a spinnaker in big seas with a heavy blow coming up? There are some tasks that DO require a certain amount of raw power and stamina.

Admittedly, a lot of things that people power through could be better done with finesse and apporpirate sized and use of mechanical aids such as winches, but there are times that it's just sheer, raw, strength that gets you through.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 17:58   #95

Running an anchor rode through a snatch block and back to a winch works when you don't have a windlass handy. Using halyards to lift stuff works too. Lots of strength multipliers on a sailboat.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:21   #96

Not what she is asking. She wants recommendations, not a lecture about hardware.
Mondonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:21   #97

You should come do the 2022 global ARC with me and my friend. We are looking for a 3rd and possibly 4th crew. Just want someone willing to pay their share of the “as you go” costs. I got the boat covered.
ChrisDillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 04:19   #98

Thinking about hardware in various ways is a recommendation. A 9 word lecture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondonico View Post
Not what she is asking. She wants recommendations, not a lecture about hardware.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:34   #99

I know of a Morris Linda with in mast roller main.
Might be perfect for you. Even has a trailer.
leo bolduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 15:45   #100

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kelly has written that she desires simplicity, so I'd say her concept of the 30 ft. cutter will do that for her. She'll be able to handle all the sails herself, without difficulty. A decent manual windlass will help with handling anchoring gear, and they're easily understood. Imho, she will want to have the best autopilot she can afford. You only use them when there's not enough wind for the windvane. It is a different sort of deal. The singlehander needs a reliable method of self-steering. When she test sails the boat, she can determine how well it will self steer.

Ann
Old 28-11-2020, 22:12   #101

Here’s another recommendation for an allied Seawind II. Stout, simple boats with the versatility of the ketch rig. Has some disadvantages too but overall a very good blend of compromises. Stands up well when the wind pipes up. Confidence instilling boats. The Cape Dory’s would also be good. I have a Seawind in the Portland area if you want to take a look, but not for sale. A few CD’s in the same yard. Good luck in your search!
RtlNh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 05:59   #102

Boat: Tartan 40
Good Bluewater Boat for female

I’d recommend a more modern design, having owned and loved an allied luders 33 but it was relatively cramped despite much bigger inside than a seawind, heeled a lot, and hobbyhorsed upwind.
To OP, I’d look at Tartan 33, Tartan 34 classic, sabre 36, bristol 35.5 if you find any that fit your budget and area. All will be very seaworthy and will sail circles around a seawind (apologies- a great boat) and may likely need less upgrades as newer.
I love the idea of ketches for serious offshore but in a 30 footer the cockpit compromise of having the mizzen in the middle and not bing able to rig full bimini attached to dodger to protect helmsperson from sun/rain is a serious downside
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 06:24   #103

Yes - Tartan is a name that's come up a lot in this post. I'm pretty sure they have a centerboard - which I think I'd like. There's something awe-inspiring to get a big boat to draw only 3.5 feet... even just for anchoring.

And I thought I'd love a ketch but I think probably a cutter would do as well if the boom doesn't get too long (without the mizzen being there).

You didn't mention the Pearson 35- any thoughts on that?

Thanks -
Old 29-11-2020, 06:32   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Kelly has written that she desires simplicity, so I'd say her concept of the 30 ft. cutter will do that for her. She'll be able to handle all the sails herself, without difficulty. A decent manual windlass will help with handling anchoring gear, and they're easily understood. Imho, she will want to have the best autopilot she can afford. You only use them when there's not enough wind for the windvane. It is a different sort of deal. The singlehander needs a reliable method of self-steering. When she test sails the boat, she can determine how well it will self steer.

Ann
Thank you Ann - your post has reminded me of the simplicity I'm desiring. ( a deep breath, of "oh yeah... that's what I'm after!") And I agree on the wind vane and autopilot. I know you're a moderator and I don't want to put you in a compromising position - but are any autopilots (and/or wind vanes) you'd recommend?
Old 29-11-2020, 12:12   #105

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for your trust, Kelly. I'm not really up on the electronics. Jim is the one of us who pays frequent attention to what's new. He actually engineered and built our wind vane for our previous Insatiable, a fairly simple auxiliary rudder type, and rigged mainsheet to tiller steering on the Yankee 30 we took to HI and back from SF, when the tiller pilot failed. You might be interested in Self Steering For Sailing Craft, by John S. Letcher. We considered a Wind Pilot for the current boat. Scanmar had a good reputation when we left the US.

Ann

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water