Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:28   #136

Re: Fin Keels - Skeg Hung Rudders - Full Keels

When you refer to a lead keel are you saying the lead is exposed and in so just needs reshaping or filling in if damaged?
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35   #137
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: fin keels, skeg hung rudders, full keels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
I am confused your saying that this full keel boat eases your anxiety when going to a marina . I keep hearing everyone saying they are harder to maneuver . Is it better or worse , if you can explain your view on this and if possible help me to understand if you could, why many find maneuvering in tight quarters troublesome and you find it helpful.

if you have anxiety entering or maneuvering in a marina, it doesnt matter what kind of keel or rudder set up you have, you will still have that anxiety. is not from kind of boat. is from yourself.
fin keels maneuver much faster and more tightly than do full keel boats--duh. just figger out the turning radius and use it. learn how to make that radius as small as you can make it. is fun. i can spin my ericson on its keel in a tight circle the length of its hull. i cannot do that with my formosa. i CAN steer it in a smaller circle than i had originally thought, however. is not difficult.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22   #138

I can see why I like the interior
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 22:36   #139

I once had the misfortune with a chartered boat to hit a deadhead (watersoaked log) in a 30' sloop with a fin keel and spade rudder. The log spun horizontally after the bow struck it and it got between the back of the keel and the rudder. It bent the rudder shaft to the point of not being able to steer. Luckily the boat had tiller steering and I was able to force it back and forth enough times to grind a groove in the bottom of the hull where the top of the rudder was rubbing it. This enabled me to steer well enough to return to the harbor. I am now looking for a boat with a skeg hung rudder or a full keel.
snipes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 22:56   #140
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Ok salty monkey is 180 and headed to full keel land now. No loggies for me!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 23:01   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have sailed thru squalls in sloops with fin and spade and i have sailed thru em in full keeled boats. so one can go 10 kts in 71 kt winds. so the other only goes 8 kts in 60 kt winds..big deal. it comes down to how tired from having to work the helm of the fin/spade combo as opposed to the ease felt dealing with the full keeled ketch in the big winds. i prefer the ketch with a full keel--had much less weather helm and handled much smoother in big stuff. the difference is impressive. i picked the correct one to cruise. we were totally exhausted after the work we did sailing thru the storms during that near year i spent in gulf of mexico on board that sloop. we didnt have to work nearly as hard with my formosa on the way here from ensenada, despite quartering seas and big winds on lee shore of a rocky coast....
I don't know many people who sail in 71 knot winds, you are a better person than I......Zeehag, everytime I read your posts I am impressed.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 13:24   #142

is FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
LOL
there are a few formosa/ct/sea wolf 41s for sale on leaky teakyyacht club these days one is even a cwnter cockpit--- go look and they arent pricey--30k for mistress now--is a good price for these. i would do it if i hadnt gotten this one for dirt cheeeep..if you seek a project, is one in sd for sale for 4900--is a lot of work, but your replacement value is ~200,000usd.......min 168000usd. so, aint no deal breakers with these-- they sail nice, they loook AWESOME and are comfy with ambiance ........ and the folks who own them are friendlies and good folks.

the 71 kts was in a seidelmann 37--i dont know if i would repeat it if i had to do it over---- but was a gas.. goooood sailing!!!! is better in my boat than in the seidelmann... what can i say...
just dont prevent your mizzen to the cap when sailing-- go thru the hawse holes in stern...lol...... is a BIG HUGE NOISE WHENYE PREVENT TO CAP... especially in 60 kts winds....
Old 11-07-2011, 13:48   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
........the 71 kts was in a seidelmann 37--i dont know if i would repeat it if i had to do it over---- but was a gas.. goooood sailing!!!! is better in my boat than in the seidelmann... what can i say...
just dont prevent your mizzen to the cap when sailing-- go thru the hawse holes in stern...lol...... is a BIG HUGE NOISE WHENYE PREVENT TO CAP... especially in 60 kts winds....
The Seidelmann wasn't a ketch was it? Did you have just a storm sail up?
Old 11-07-2011, 14:11   #144

seidelmann was a sloop with only reefed jib..LOL...... in a storm in night time 0300--was a gas... we were pulling 10 kts under reefed jib....
my formosa is a ketch and took to the big winds much better than the sloop did... much more leeway--and not on the edge like the sloop was... we were on the very edge in the sloop at that speed and in those winds.
Old 11-07-2011, 20:36   #145

ZEEHAG - HOW DOES ONE FIND "LEAKY TEAKY YACHT CLUB" ? I tried to google it - no luck - Snipes47
snipes47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 21:17   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes47 View Post
ZEEHAG - HOW DOES ONE FIND "LEAKY TEAKY YACHT CLUB" ? I tried to google it - no luck - Snipes47
Hah!!! Didn't you know Zee was the charter member???
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

LeakyTeakyYachtClub
LeakyTeakyYachtClub : LeakyTeakyYachtClub

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55   #148

is a yahoo group and i am A charter member,,LOL
Old 26-07-2011, 12:33   #149

Having transited the Pacific coast of Americas down to Lapaz there are many floating poly line fishing rigging contraptions out there many miles from land. My cut away forefoot and keel hung rudder hasn't snagged one yet. I believe they just ride the keel from bow to stern and fall off the aft end of the rudder. These lines are really a big concern all the way down the coast to South America. I hear quite often of fin keels and spade rudder designs getting fouled, twisted around props. The thing is sometimes you can't see them even in daylight being low on the water let alone at night. I hope this observation helps in your choice.
saben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 17:06   #150

i just got to mazatlan 3 months ago--didnt see any fishing nets or long lines in the water unattended. there is a season for these nets and pots to be out. they wil lnot be out in off seasons as there is enforcement of the fishing laws here by the mexicans. enjoy and smooth sailing.
when you get your conapesca fishing license before you go to mexican waters, you will be able to find out when these seasons are. they are most helpful.