Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 14:18   #46

Boat: Ericson Independence 31
Re: Ericson Independence 31

end3R:

I have owned a 1979 Ericson Independence 31 Cutter, hull # 48, for about 18 years. When I bought her the engine had 150 hrs, it now has about 800 hrs.

I have sailed her extensively for those 18 years in the San Juan Islands area of Puget Sound Washington.

She has the standard interior layout w/ a "V" berth in the forward compartment, a head to Starbord just aft of the "V" berth, then the saloon.

The galley has a gimbaled, 3 burner alcohol stove w/ oven, hot & cold pressure water, an ice box and a navigation desk to starboard. On the starboard bulkhead behind the head is a fold down table, w/ an extension, setees to port and starboard, giving seating for 4 comfortably. The starboard setee converts to a double berth, the port setee will sleep one.

I recently had to replace the fuel tank, as the original had a pin hole leak in it. That was a major operation, as they built the boat around the tank. I had to remove the nav sta and bulkhead in order to remove and replace the tank, however, I was able to have a new tank manfactured in exactly the same configuration as the original.

I have had some problems w/ leakage around the port holes. I figured out what was causing the leakage - - the nuts had loosened that hold the ports in place, I retightened all of them and replaced some nuts and bolts that had loosened over the years, problem solved.

Spray (her name) sails beautifully, I have the Yankee and the staysail on roller furlers, w/ the sheets led to the cockpit so I don't have to leave the comfort of the cockpit to set them. The main isn't roller furled.

I have an Espar forced air diesel heater and a dodger w/ bimini for a full cockpit cover as it rains a lot here and I sail her year around.

I haven't had any problems w/ the bow sprit, though I do keep it varnished (Cetol) w/ 6 coats. I go over ALL the teak topside every year.

The Yanmar 2QM15 engine has never let me down, it burns about 3/4 gal. / hr @ 6 kts +or-, giving me about 300 miles cruising range under power.

Rudder "klunk" is something I understand many I 31's share, mine isn't exempt.

To my knowledge, Ericson (Pacific Seacraft) built about 80 Independence 31's from 1977 to 1983 (I think).

Spray is an easy to handle, tough little cruiser that sails fast and turns heads where ever we go. I spend a good deal of my time receiving compliments and questions about her at every marina we spend time in.

If you can find one, I think you would be happy with it.
stanwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 18:59   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Ericson Independence 31

please excuse -- ericson was not pacific seacraft in 1973-1983. was ericson,. thankyou. pacific seacraft didnt have anything to do with ericson until much later when they bought the name from pearson yachts.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericson