Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 06:40   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Do boom brakes work?

We have the large Dutchman on the 44' boat. I find it works well. I have it come back to a secondary winch for tension adjustment. It's a big help when single handing.

But also with new crew, in my case the Wife. Last year she got totally flustered and gybed a number of times. The brake really took the sting out of that learning experience. Not to mention my head. (Or did it thwart a well laid plan? )

On the 33 I have dual vangs going to the toe rails. The boat did not come with a vang or preventer. By using two vangs, one to each rail, I have both a vang and preventer set up, though not an end of boom arrangement.

Two different approaches, both work for me.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 19:39   #32

Boat: Freya. Cutter Rigged Sloop. 39'

Hello- I have used my "Dutchman Boom Brake for years and love it. I am sailing a cutter rigged Freya, often times singlehanded or with rookie sailors. The brake eliminates the need to go forward and rig up a preventer line and so allows me to remain in the cockpit. Further if the shives are set with the appropriate resistance for current wind velocity and sail area the brake will allow the sail to slowly ease out to leeward in an unintentional jib and so prevent the back winding inherent if an un intentional jibe occurs with a preventer line rigged. Last the brake acts as a good boom crutch if employed with a topping lift and a secured main sheet.

All good!

I suggest you buy a Dutchman that is oversized for your tonnage and run it with triple purchase back to a cockpit cleat, unless of course you can run it directly to a winch.
Michael Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 09:13   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boom brakes do work. However they do need to be installed correctly and dialed in. It was mentioned they can brake booms and yes they can. Consider attaching your brake to a line that runs between the ends of the boom as it will then make all loads on the boom a compressive force and not a bending force.

I have put a lot of info on my web site including photos of the Vendee open 60 racing boats with lines between boom ends, videos and a spread sheet that can help optimize the placement on the boom.

Boom Brakes
Capt. Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 09:25   #34

I only had one. I never could find the sweet spot for tension. But it did work to some extent.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:11   #35

Boat: Moody Halbedier 36'

I noticed funjohnson quoted their WALDER but were dubious as to whether there was a commercial option big enough for your boat. I actually have one which is far too big for my 36' Moody, if you're interested let me know.
Kind regards
John
Frontiersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 13:23   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Could someone explain when a boom brake is usefull? I sail a cat, and I don't see the application:

a. A preventer keep the boom from even trying to lift. Understand, use one when needed.

b. A boom break slows the passage. But since it is for planned jibes, why not...
1. Center the boom. Traveler up and sheet tight.
2. Jibe.
3. Brake the traveler as you let it down on the new tack.

Or do folks not like to center the boom first? Is it because of control problems in a breeze? Perhaps it is something cat sailors do not experience?
Old 27-07-2016, 13:43   #37

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Could someone explain when a boom brake is usefull? I sail a cat, and I don't see the application:

a. A preventer keep the boom from even trying to lift. Understand, use one when needed.

b. A boom break slows the passage. But since it is for planned jibes, why not...
1. Center the boom. Traveler up and sheet tight.
2. Jibe.
3. Brake the traveler as you let it down on the new tack.

Or do folks not like to center the boom first? Is it because of control problems in a breeze? Perhaps it is something cat sailors do not experience?
I use it to prevent, or slow accidental jybes. yes for planned gybes, we try and do it the best way (rarely succeed, but we try!)
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 13:09   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
I use it to prevent, or slow accidental jybes. yes for planned gybes, we try and do it the best way (rarely succeed, but we try!)
A. On a catamaran, if you lock the traveler down at the end stop, it won't jibe unless you let it. Most cats don't have much sheet out, since we have to keep the main off the shrouds. I do use a preventer also sometimes (if I'm wing-an-wing). A boom brake used as a preventer is going to be FAR effective than just locking the traveler down and limiting the loose sheet.

B. I find I have to adjust the tension each time since wind has invariably changed Thus, it will probably not be set correctly to catch an accidental jibe. Yes, I suppose it will slow it a little.

Since my last post I spent a day playing with brakes (Gybe Easy and a figure-8) and I'm even less impressed than before. I'm stunned that any cat sailor would use one.
  • center the traveler
  • haul in the sheet
  • jibe
  • let it out
What I find very effective is climbing rope for traveler line. It really absorbs the slam, without impacting sail shape or trimming (only stretches during the slam). And no extra gear or side-deck clutter, which I hate.

Tags
boom brake