Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 14:31   #31

kiwiwill,
Thanks for your impressions. I requested study prints for the snowbird 30 from Ganley Yacht Design. Maybe there will be a reduced-format lines drawing so I can see what the lines look like. I read that there was an article about the snowbird in a NZ magazine called Seaspray in '73 or '74. Trying to track that down too.
The pics show what looks like a fore-aft line where the upper and lower plates meet (?) could this have been where the waterline is supposed to be?
I can't see it clearly but would the keel be a single plate or hollow airfoil shape into which the lead or steel ballast be placed?

thanks
js
qGanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 21:58   #32

Ganley Snowbird

Hi, One of the reasons I liked Ganley's designs was his understanding of how to manipulate sheets of steel without having to have a ball roller. For example if you take a sheet say 1.5m square and run a weld around the perimeter with a hot stick welder you end up with a dish shape. so Ganley uses this effect to ensure that his side plates do not look like flat panels. Secondly he designs with a 4-6" flat bar at the chine to soften the look. If this is combined with welding a 1/2" rod into the join and grinding back to the rod the effect is even better. Many amateur steel boat designs keep it simple and have very slab sides and sharp chines. The engineer who build TinFin did this so successfully that many people didnot believe she was a steel build without using a sheet roller.
If you look at the Photos you provided carefully you will see the 4" flat welded in at the join of the topside plates and the bottom plates. This follows the natural flow of the boat and is not the water line. I think you will see the colour change in the antifouling indicating where the water was last time she was in.
The keel will be a good airfoil shape with lead poured in the bottom. Ganley uses a 4" pipe as the leading edge and then 2 curved sheets on each side with an airfoil shaped bottom cap. At the cord (widest part) it could be 6-10" wide. I had seen TinFin standing on its own keel (10" wide) when dried out alongside a wharf, and it didnt move as I walked around the deck - then I paniced and rushed to brace it against the wharf!
Although it is supposedly ameteur built, the Ganley in your pics looks quite well made. Many good trades people built boats like that in their spare time because that was a skill they new. Cheers
kiwiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 13:02   #33

ganley snowbird

Hi kiwiwill,
I mis-read the pic. I thought the black arrows pointed to intersection of two plates...an indentation in the plate or something...but what you have said, "it is the old waterline" makes sense too. I can't get to the boat or the person who took the pics so must interpret the pic. I did pick out the 4" plate...red arrows...you talked about, but I was confused about what that fore-aft line was.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate_LWL.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	8832  
qGanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 17:39   #34

Snowbird 30

Hi,

I've just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd attach a study print of the Snowbird 30. I am Denis's daughter and although I'm not a yacht designer I'm more than happy for anyone to contact me in regard to purchasing a plan or getting information on boats that are already out there.

Regards

Denise

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCAN_snowbird.pdf (108.8 KB, 513 views)
Denise Ganley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 15:50   #35

I too just stumbled on this thread, and would like to offer thanks to Denise for supplying the scan of her dad's Snowbird design.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 16:55   #36

Hi,

For those of you in NZ there was an article in the March issue of Boating NZ magazine about Denis and his work. In preparation for this we also got our website revamped and this now has most of the designs on there, plus photos and a couple of articles.

[EDIT: You may contact this member by Private Message to get the URL of the website. - TaoJones}

Regards,

Denise
Denise Ganley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 16:15   #37

Boat: Nicholson 31 - freelance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosailor View Post
Anyone have experience regarding the Denis Ganley boats? In particular I'm interested in the 34' steel versions. How do they sail? General opinions, etc.?
A friend built a shadow 34 in Durban - South Africa,sailed it to Cape Town , across the Atlantic to St maarten.From there he sailed to Brazil abd across back home to Cape Town Via the roaring 40s.Boat sailed like a dream and was fast and tracked very well.Damn good boat.I sailed about 1400 miles on her.Good in heavy weather.Hope this helps.
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 16:17   #38

Boat: Nicholson 31 - freelance
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
No one seems to be helping you on this so I will give what I can.

I have never sailed one of Denis's Shadow 34's but have seen a number of them finished and a hull under construction in an engineering yard. I have been on a number of his other designs.

The 34 is very well regarded as a heavy cruising boat and they have sailed the world, they being designed for the heavy conditions around this part of the world. Like all his designs the chines (if it has not been radius chined) are well hidden both below the waterline or into the conic curves of the plating. That unlike many other designer's designs where the boat looks slab sided with flat plates welded together eg Roberts 38 which are often referred to as "banana boats" because with the chines they look like bananas side on.

Denis also did a 35 foot version of the same boat.

The issues with them that I know of is that almost all were amateur built so subject to amateur "good ideas", "adventures" or lack of knowledge in their construction and fitout. I know of cases where amateurs have thought it a "good idea", for example, to increase the plating thickness by a millimetre which only serves to make the boats heavier than they already are. Coatings, the "hungry horse" look, quality of gear, etc, etc are all likely potential problems on such boats as well as strange concepts that cause me great wonder as to the sense of some.

I know of some that were built longer than the 34 foot by amateur builders and I would be very suspicious of those - as said above Denis later produced a 35 foot version himself.

As far as I remember these boats have a steel skeg and rudder - while I have no history for the Shadow 34's it is a fact that steel sail boats with skegs and which have sailed many miles are prone to fatigue cracking of the welds at the skeg/bottom plating interface (and sometimes the plating itself), so is something to check for. It is difficult to build a weak small steel vessel so I would expect few other problems, apart from cosmetic, regardless of the ability of the welder.

Like all small steel sail boats under around 40 foot they are heavy for their size (I am sure that someone in love with their little steel boat will come along and dispute that but it is a fact) but if it has been well built to Denis's scantlings and you are commited to steel for a boat that I would suggest that they are better than most other steel vessels of the same size.

As you may know, Denis and his wife were killed in a car accident back in early 1997 so it is not possible to discuss his designs with him.
The larger version is the Tara which is 39 and drawings are still available from his lovely helpfull daughter
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Ganley View Post
Hi,

For those of you in NZ there was an article in the March issue of Boating NZ magazine about Denis and his work. In preparation for this we also got our website revamped and this now has most of the designs on there, plus photos and a couple of articles.

[EDIT: You may contact this member by Private Message to get the URL of the website. - TaoJones}

Regards,

Denise
Denise, thanks for your input. Google pointed the way to the website with no problem..... your Dad certainly drew some lovely boats!

I think my favorite is this one:

PACEMAKER Mk II from Ganley Yachts

It's 34, with the kind of layout below I really prefer.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 01:06   #40

Hi all,
Great read. Would any one have any info regarding this boat? Workboats NZ Ltd - 40ft Ganley Pacemaker Mk II - Lovely 12m Ganley cruising yacht. This is a ...
I live in Greece and would really like to get any info possible before setting off to Bali in order to view.
Thanks
gvolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07   #41

Ganley Pacemaker 40'

Hi, I am a NZer who built TINFIN referred to several years ago (a 34' Ganley). I dont know this 40' Pacemaker personally but I am happy to make a few comments-
All of the Ganley boats are very well designed, and very seaworthy. Many of the larger ones are also quite quick, especialy when the going gets tough (then the tough get going!)
The design and concept is excellent but the important point is who built it - there were a number of ameteur built or at least ameteur finished boats about. But if it was professionaly built and finished it would be an excellent boat. I see this boat was built by a well respected boat building company in northern NZ and from the pictures that I browsed through it appears to be very well finished, and maintained too.
One often wonders why someone wants to sell a boat, but in this instance its obvious. I guess that right up to his last day the last owner enjoyed and maintained it well. It would be well worth looking at.
(Incidently I also know of another well built Ganley 44' for sale in SEA)
Cheers
Will
Old 03-02-2011, 02:26   #42

Hi Will,
Thank you for all the info. I'm glad you clarified who Manx Engineering is as I didn't have a clue. Glad to hear that you believe she is well built. Nice to hear this from someone who has built one. Would you mind it if I send you some more pictures of bilges etc. as I have some more questions you could perhaps clarify for me.?
Thanks again.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44   #43

Ganley 40

Hi,
No problems
Will
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49   #44

Thanks Will. Can you please send me your e-mail address so I can attach the pics at gvolos at yahoo dot com
Cheers
Old 16-02-2012, 20:10   #45

Boat: Jarkan 34
Hi everyone,
I too am interested in Ganley designs, in particular his Fishing Gaffer
This 34' traditional design captured my interest as it seems to fill the brief for Pacific cruising well. Shallow draft, steel and the ability to carry small cargo's/extra gear. Would welcome any comments and/or advice from those who have built, owned or sailed on one. I did contact Denise, she had no details of current owners or builders etc, so any info would be most gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Col
Longtall is offline   Reply With Quote