Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 17:08   #1

Boat: US 27
Deck paint

Hello, I have a 27' 1980 sail boat in a very good condition, and I have question to the experience sailors that had roll paint their deck.
There is many product out there and looked many Youtube sites regarding repainting decks on sailboat, I look into "Total boat", "Alexseal" , finally stay with interlux which is the most common here in Canada, and they are not bad.

I did start replacing old windows made of plexiglass that they crack, now the new ones are nice and shine, while removing the old ones I had to repair the gelcoat and I painted with Interlux brightside, turn out pretty good, but is always the colour didn't much complete, so I start painting the rest of the sides of the boat, looks good, but now the question, what should I do with the noskid part, actually is not very slippery, so I have two options, every thing come to hours of work, and no sailing.
1) paint every thing with brightside and it will be one colour.
2) paint with Interdeck which is kind of rubberize paint specific for noskid parts, here is the problem, I had to tape the all boat, in order no to paint the joints in between the noskid parts and it has to be two different colours, which I don't like it too much.

I must enfacise that the noskid is not that slippery,
Thanks in advance for your input.
Heeling soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:00   #2

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28
Re: Deck paint

It's a 40 year old, 27 foot production boat, and it's not a Hinckley. Just paint the whole deck with non-skid whatever color you want to keep yourself and crew safe, and go out on the lake and enjoy the summer.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:07   #3

Yes, That's in idea, even though is a 40 years old boat the previous owners did a very good job to maintene it in a good shape, other than little cosmetic things, the bottom looks very good the cabin also, I just change the sail, any way thanks for the replay.
Old 24-05-2020, 10:15   #4

Boat: center console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
It's a 40 year old, 27 foot production boat, and it's not a Hinckley. Just paint the whole deck with non-skid whatever color you want to keep yourself and crew safe, and go out on the lake and enjoy the summer.
+1 on the above. I have used Rustoleum (oil based) and add fine sand where necessary for non-skid. Make a sand shaker out of a coffee can. Maybe use a gloss reducing additive. Spend your time and money on surface preparation.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:16   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Don't use off the shelf non-skid, it doesn't last long and isn't very effective, make a 50/50 mix of single part paint and fine quartz sand, use 3 coats, with a week or more between each coat, with a "smooshing" technique to get a nice texture.

Old 24-05-2020, 10:31   #6

I would not paint fiberglass with anything other than 2 part paint. You'll regret it eventually.
Exception is the non skid: You can use one of the modern roll on's like Kiwi Coat. But if your non skid is ... well... non skid... and not too ugly... just leave it!
Buff up your gel coat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would not paint fiberglass with anything other than 2 part paint. You'll regret it eventually.
Exception is the non skid: You can use one of the modern roll on's like Kiwi Coat. But if your non skid is ... well... non skid... and not too ugly... just leave it!
Buff up your gel coat!
Yea, although I'm steel, I never use one part on deck, even beneath that non-slip is two part primer, and the white it two part polyurethane. But there isn't that much white with the nonslip, which saves money
But two part is not practical for my homemade nonslip, you have to be aggressive with the brush, and the solvents destroy it and get hairs everywhere. Plus reusing the same brush with one part means that any loose hairs are minimal after many uses.

I am thinking of doing a final coat over the non slip with a roller and two part paint though, but just doing an extra coat every year or two is working just fine so far, and the thickness of the coats protects the deck.
Old 24-05-2020, 10:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

For years I had a dive rib, so diving weights and cylinders always being dumped on the GRP deck . Interlux light grey was my choice of paint. It didn't fade and was pleasant to walk on with bare feet. In drysuit boots it was a great non slip surface.. Scratches and chips could be touched up at the end of the year and didn't show afterwards.

Preparation was the key, I scrubbed the bejesus out of the deck 3 times until squeaky clean before applying two coats directed onto the GRP.

Do you need to paint the whole deck? might look better if its taped and areas which need grip are painted with the rest left as GRP.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:25   #9

Well, Thank you guys, I think after all doesn't matter which paint i will use, I have to the hard work and preparing the surface well, tape it, and paint.
When people come to my bote, and they see a good work, reflect who you are, and I'am not a perfectionist but I like to do things in the right way, Just at this time I want it to save time and enjoy the short time that we have for sailing (here in the north) spetial now with the covid-19 been so hard all over the world,
Thanks again and stay healthy.
Old 24-05-2020, 16:11   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Kiwi Grip is very easy to apply and really does the job well. Your local paint store can tint it any color you desire.
I have Awlgrip with the nonskid grit mixed in. Apply with a roller and it does the job and looks great.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 16:27   #11

Looks like there is a few sailors that used KiwiGrip. I check on that thanks Orion Jim
Old 24-05-2020, 16:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeling soul View Post
Looks like there is a few sailors that used KiwiGrip. I check on that thanks Orion Jim
I still say that they are not as strong as quartz sand. The main reason being is that they are designed to go straight on with a shake of the can and minimal effort. With a quartz-paint mix you have to stir each time you dip the brush, and work the brush well to get a good result. The end result is better though, and with the sand being $1/kg, it effectively doubles the volume for free of whatever paint you want to use with it.
Old 24-05-2020, 16:43   #13

Hi, Capitan Black thank you, I just looking and considering the option.
Thanks again
Old 24-05-2020, 19:53   #14

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeling soul View Post
Well, Thank you guys, I think after all doesn't matter which paint i will use, I have to the hard work and preparing the surface well, tape it, and paint.
When people come to my bote, and they see a good work, reflect who you are, and I'am not a perfectionist but I like to do things in the right way, Just at this time I want it to save time and enjoy the short time that we have for sailing (here in the north) spetial now with the covid-19 been so hard all over the world,
Thanks again and stay healthy.
As you suggest, prepping is a lot of hard work. Take Cheech’s advice and use 2-part paint if you do not want to have to do it again soon. The prep is essentially the same for any paint, but the 2-part will last MUCH longer. We painted our deck & cabin trunk with 2-part Interlux about 15 years ago and are only re-doing it now. We tried Interdeck and found it held up only one or two seasons before looking mediocre. Brightsides lasted about a week on a foredeck test patch. The deck gets a lot more abuse, wear & tear than the cabin trunk.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 20:12   #15

Yep that probably was a good test and reference as well. Thanks psk125

Tags
deck, paint