Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 17:22   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Current, vs wind, vs boat direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
On longer passages we often leave a couple of hours before sunset and set the boat up for an easy first night. Usually heads'l and mizzen and we don't care if we're only doing 4 knots. By morning we're in the rhythm again with the boat settled, and we increase sail as needed.
We do have AIS and radar with alarms set just in case the watch nods off, but we enjoy the nights.

Vic
Good way to ease into it. AIS and radar are truly nice to have but a good set of eyes adjusted for night vision are a good asset too. I never had radar until about ten years ago and came across more than my share of unlit, unmarked vessels at night. The way you become accustomed to the night environment when your tuned in helps, but electronic aids are wonderful assets, I've had the wits scared out of me by unlit, unmarked vessels offshore at night, far off the Eastern Seaboard. Seemed to be much more prevalent back when the drug smugglers moved north way back when.
Being able to "see" whats around me at night definitely helps, I have grown to love my electronic aids but never really become comfortable enough to be totally dependent on them, I still have that slight bit of an edge on when sailing in dark, cloudy nights, it keeps me honest and makes me truly appreciate those clear, starlit nights.
Still, I love the nights at sea.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 13:06   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

It's a 1963 Alberg 35. Hull number 32 IIRC. I'll be completely honest, she's in dire need of a full refit. If the OP wants to put the time and effort into her, she could be a great boat. But in her current condition (at least when I had her) I wouldn't take her out past the breakwater.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:04   #18

Sailing at night among a bunch of huge boats is terrifying. Having to constantly watch your back, you can't hear them coming. It's hard to even tell which way they are going or where they are. Some boats just look like they're heading straight at you for an hour, only to find another boat actually heading straight at you from another direction. & then the next moment wondering why the big boats are staying clear of you, only to turn around & find out why. How's a single-hander to keep watch all night & sail in the day too? scary.
Yeah, Alberg 35, full keel, 5.5' deep.
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 23:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sailing at night can be a bit unnerving till you learn to recognize the lights on ships and what they mean. Here is a website that shows what the light configurations mean on a wide variety of vessels. Illustrated Navigation Lights Learn to recognize the two mast lights on large ships. They will tell you which way the ship faces in relation to you. Keep a running check on the bearing of the boat assuming you are maintaining a constant heading. If the bearing keeps changing there is no problem but if a bearing remains constant, you rare on a collision course. The ships expect you to maintain a course and will alter course to pass clear if they can. The exception is if they are in a restricted channel where they can't maneuver like in or entering a harbor. When I sailed out of SF on the way to Hawaii, had 7 ships in sight at one time. Stayed awake till well past the Faralons until the ships had split off to their various destinations. Didn't get sleepy at all dodging the traffic.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:00   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
It's not a problem seeing the waves you need to see even on pitchy black nights; they come with glowing white stuff on top. Just avoid using cabin lights, dim the compass bowl (or use tape on it), etc etc, to preserve your night vision.

Before long you'll develop a feel for their intentions which will be accurate enough for government work, most of the time, even without looking.
I disagree, after a point. I've been out in storm conditions at night where you could not see an inch off the boat, pitch black even with well preserved night vision. Wind instruments are a huge help in these circumstances, particularly if the waves are generally running with the wind. I do agree that you can still develop the ability to anticipate, particularly based on patterns and sound. It's pretty exhausting sailing though.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 17:47   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I disagree, after a point. I've been out in storm conditions at night where you could not see an inch off the boat, pitch black even with well preserved night vision. Wind instruments are a huge help in these circumstances, particularly if the waves are generally running with the wind. I do agree that you can still develop the ability to anticipate, particularly based on patterns and sound. It's pretty exhausting sailing though.

I would agree , for example at night in bad weather with a lot of rain, very dark, very poor vis. Really you just rely on " feel" , you certainly can't see anything. I always find the odd out of sequence one , clobbers me , in those situations , not a lot you can do.

Nice clear semi tropical nights , beautiful. I've read newspapers to the moonlight

I love night sailing personally
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
current, wind