Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 11:53   #1

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: CT Yacht advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelhauler View Post
We own a CT42 Mermaid Ketch and it was built without teak decks. For 40 years she has been cruising the globe without any major issues other than normal maintenance. She even still has the original Perkins 4-154.

In our option she is the perfect cruising sailboat. Yeah pretty bold statement right? Here is why.
1.) Proven track Record of 40 years of ocean sailing on the original engine and wooden spars.
2.) A liner Diesel engine. Allows the engine to be rebuilt in the boat. Unless you need machine work.
3.) solid fiberglass hull. 3/4” thick at the rail and 2-1/2” at the keel. Modified full keel with a very strong skeg rudder.
4.) Ketch Rig allows for multiple sail plans.
5.) Center Cockpit for a dry safe cruising.
6.) Solid Glass deck
7.) good tankage.
The boat is a 7knot beast yet easily can be single handed by anyone. Just a good strong simple boat.
I’ve been looking around on yacht world and the CT’s values are starting to show. Production boats today just can’t affordably be built in comparison. Even the famous Island Packets can’t match the strength of a post 80’s CT. I say post 80’s due to the better resins used for hull layup.
Like stated earlier, either you like them or you don’t.

Look forward to the responses. Fair winds mate.
Agree with your comments. Mine is a '89 CT49, Centre cockpit, but Cutter rigged. Again no teak decks, only a bit for cockpit seating. I have traded my 4 154 out for a Yanmar 4JH4-TE. Yes I agree they are a solid 7kt+ boat. I am just finishing quite a 'freshen up' for the old tub.
Not that I take much stock in Yacht world prices, I also agree value for your boating $ is pretty hard to compete with. I got mine at what I consider quite a reasonable price, but have since sunk a bunch more in ontop to get it updated and how I want it.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, yacht