Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 04:40   #1

CT Yacht advice please

Hope you'all are safe and well.
I am searching for information about CT yachts, could someone point me in the right direction please. Did they ever make a yacht without teak decks?
Thanks in advance.
Okanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:52   #2

Re: CT Yacht advice please

Never heard of CT yachts. Is that their actual name? What does CT stand for?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:18   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

CT is Ta Chiao yachts. Made in Tawain during the yacht boom in the 70s. Never saw one that didn't have teak decks. By now some may have been taken off and the decks glassed over.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:07   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

They look good but it stops there. They don’t call them leaky teakys for no reason. Most have wooden spars. If you are into cosmetic maintenance to have a good looking dock queen then one may suit you. All that said they are a lot of boat for the money and you will find them all over the world.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:41   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lots of negativity from folks who donot own em. they sail well in a good breeze, designed to sail trade winds, beautiful teakwood and less freeboard by 2 inches than formosa yachts ta chiaos line of teakies are pretty and functional. stand better in a blow than catahuntebenelinas. never production line boats, each individually crafted.
if you want one you want one. if you donot WANT one, seek other craft. they are good boats.
i donot own ct, i own formosa.
if you are serious about learning about ct, see facebook group jewels of the sea. see formosa owner group. also fb. much info in these groups.
and FOR THE RECORD there are many still cruising west coast...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:23   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

CT's as stated above were built in Taiwan. Construction was done by roaming famiies. One family would move into the yard and do the teak decks, another, the electrical system, another, the plumbing. Because of this quality varies with each hull.I had a Landfall 39 that was built there and it was a super strong capable bluewater boat. It had been through 2 hurricanes and not on the edge of them.

They are leaky teakys. Rot abounds typically because owners haven't maintained them. Look at the bungs on deck. Are they missing? Are they black around the edges? Sure signs of issues. Friend of mine had a Landfall 39 and it was all fiberglass. You don't know until you see the boat. Get a great surveyor.

I loved my boat. Failed survey miserably but at the time it ticked all the boxes and to this day, I've yet to see a monohull as well designed for cruising as that boat. Over the years I replaced the decks, pilot house, cockpit, coamings, original stainless steel pulpit (Taiwanese SS is crap) Mast and boom. Knew nothing about boatwork when I bought it. Within a couple of years I was getting paid a lot to work on others boats and then moved into yachts. FWIW, my current boat is plastic. And that is for a reason. I want to sail and enjoy, not work on the boat all the time.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:27   #7

I owned and cared for a similar boat, a Garden designed Mariner 40 wooden ketch. I loved the boat. They sail well on a reach, not so great close hauled. Very comfortable with an easy motion a result of a full keel and heavy displacement. Very attractive but very maintenance intensive because of the plethora of brightwork. If maintaining a boat appeals to you, they are certainly worth consideration but if you intend to sail the hell of of her and put her away wet - get a Hunter or a similar chlorox bottle.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:41   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

The you tube channel 'sailing doodles' sails on a CT 56 now. maybe worth watching some of those vid's or you could contact Bobby directly about his boat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkD...3p_1QurfKFBCBA
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:50   #9

Yes, they made boats without teak decks. The boat in my avatar is an '85 CT 44 that never had teak decks and minimal teakwork outside. Ta Chaio yachts built into the late 80's that I'm aware of, maybe early 90's.
Not bad boats, although not boats of the Ta Shing quality like the Baba's, Passports etc .

Keep in mind things changed a lot over the years, early 70's were a learning curve. 80's were pretty good.
Beware of the early boats with plywood deck and cabins glassed over. These have been a big problem over the years. In the 80's many of their boats had full deck molds and normal made decks.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:40   #10

Boat: CT 49, 1989

I have an '89 CT 49- my Avatar. No Teak deaks. Only Teak is cockpit seating and trim.

I have nearly finished a reasonably large refit. Covid has slowed me even more than my normal slow.

I'm obviously masachistic, but I can say I am very happy with her.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 13:09   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Back in the 80'S when i was Oilfield Diving, we were crew changing out of singapore, some times i would stay in Kaohsuing on my time off, and visit the boat yard's, saw alot of crappy work AND some excellent work also, had a couple of friend's who purchased Sail boat's there, back then Taiwan was so peranoid regarding China, that you could not do sailing trial's, when the boat was launched, you made a bee line to Hong Kong to deal with any problem's, which were many, before continuing on, some issue's were steel fuel tank's clogging up, later on, teak deck's leaking [ not enough bedding], ect., strong hulls for sure. find one that has all the upgrades over the year's, and you will have a sea worthy boat.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 14:15   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

I had a Formosa 37 for 25 years. Bought new, not previously owned. I was reworking things every day that I owned it.

For example. I wanted to change the flat teak pad for a canted pad under the cabin top mounted main sheet winch. Inside is a beautiful teak plate covering the mounting hardware. Take it down to find nothing behind it. The trim guy obviously came before the winch guy. So the winch guy installed it with 5 wood screws into the 1/2” plywood cabin top. Same problem with 6 of the 8 installed lifeline stanchion bases.

Teak deck was laid with ZERO caulking to the deck. Leaked like a sieve, but it was very easy to get up.

The electrical wiring was minimal, which was a good thing because it was awful.

The wooden masts were a job to take care of.

I learned a tremendous amount about how to fix things right.

On the other hand, I sailed the boat from SF to Costa Rica, across to Polynesia and back. Plenty of rough weather but everything held together.

They’re a salty looking boat. If you’re up to keeping them looking good, they’re really pretty. If the previous owner let the maintenance slide, they’ll be even a bigger job. It served me well, but I wouldn’t do it again.

If you like doing boat work, and have, or are willing to acquire the necessary skills, go for it.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:53   #13

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The year built is a big deal - in the '70s there were a lot of CT 41s built, as well as other designs. As one poster noted Taiwan did not allow sailing in their waters then, so while the boats looked beautiful there were often dysfunctional aspects to them, such as the winches not bolted (previously) or one where the gimballed stove only swung out as the cabinetry was built up against the back. Towards the end of that decade a few yards started hiring supervisors from yachting countries to make sure things were done right. By the late '70s the wooden masts were mostly gone and the boats were rigged in the US (besides the maintenance requirement there were delaminations, and the rigging wire was inferior and rusted). The quality improved dramatically though the '80s, but again very yard dependent. The hull designs were not the issue - they were beautiful, seaworthy, and seakindly - and the teak work was often just stunning. There were just a lot of construction problems and inferior materials used. As a result many of the early ones have fared badly; still, some owners have kept them up and solved the problems, and have beautiful boats. But when buying any boat, and especially older Taiwanese boats, the purchase must be conditioned on the survey - and always hire the best surveyor available even if they cost more. It is too easy for the stars in our eyes to blind us to the harsh realities.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11   #14

See the post's below
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22   #15

Thanks to all for your time to respond so fast, gives me lots to research and think about. The design really appeals to me along with livaboard cruising ability, however the shear amount of maintenance required would probably be a show stopper for me.

Tags
lease, yacht