Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 16:05   #61

Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Have a 28' with 32.5' mast. Came with hinge plate (tabernacle) on cabin top but none on mast foot. Made up a top half of the hinge with aluminium angle, plywood etc that clamped around mast foot. Trick is to have a spinnaker track on front of mast. Rigid alloy poles from a traveller on the spinnaker track to each toe rail means you can slacken the stays and let the poles keep the mast centered. Use one of the halyards from mast top through a block attached to bow and back to a winch to stand up your mast. Need a "crutch to use to help boost the mast up from stern until angle is decent for winching the mast the rest of the way up. Don't forget to attach the backstay at some point.... ��
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:28   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here's a thread to see, and post #15 may be of interest too!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2578293

A mast tabernacle is a good choice for our boats... I kinda wish I had gone with one now, even though I did not have plans to trailer anywhere, YET. Here is one site to check. The tabernacle makes more sense for our boats because once pivoted it will lie flat over the top of the cabin. Then you can remove the bolt and slide the mast forward in some kind of a cradle.
Mast tabernacle plans - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
I'll see if I can find a diagram or youtube of lowering a mast of our size, they are kinda heavy.. old school light pole extrusions
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:55   #63

Thanks. For west coast sailors I highly rec Blue Pelican Marine (ebay same name). Sometimes you can haggle too. Alameda, and surrounding bay area, has a TON of boats actively cruising and racing year round and several boat brokers, so sales, in Alameda too, so lots of stuff moving in and out of this consignment shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
There are two chandleries that have great consignment shops in the Newport Rhode Island area. One is The Ships Store (www.ShipsStoreRI.com) and the other is Newport Nautical (Newport Nautical Supply). Both have large consignment areas in addition to their new product sales.

West Marine has really become good at pricing. It is true that a number of years ago they were very high priced. They now have a new (maybe a week on the job) CEO and he is being very competitive. Talk to the employees and you may well be surprised. He is also fixing the lack of inventory in the stores.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 21:45   #64

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

@John

Yeah having a narrower beam is very easy to transport and the tabernacle mast for a trailer sailor seems like a nice match. I am curious to see what boat you find. We seem to have some that pop up pretty regularly out here on the west coast in that size. What is your minimum length? I know of a Marina selling a wayfarer Bahama 24 flush deck just a hair under 8 foot beam and I think 3.5" draft. Solid glass hull with internal lead ballast.....two quarter births and a v-birth.

Its such a beautiful boat, I hope someone in SF gets her and keeps sailing her.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 21:53   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Here's a thread to see, and post #15 may be of interest too!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2578293

A mast tabernacle is a good choice for our boats... I kinda wish I had gone with one now, even though I did not have plans to trailer anywhere, YET. Here is one site to check. The tabernacle makes more sense for our boats because once pivoted it will lie flat over the top of the cabin. Then you can remove the bolt and slide the mast forward in some kind of a cradle.
Mast tabernacle plans - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
I'll see if I can find a diagram or youtube of lowering a mast of our size, they are kinda heavy.. old school light pole extrusions
Don, Thanks! Will check this out, I didn't realize the mast was so heavy duty
Old 17-02-2018, 08:30   #66

I am located in the mountains of southern British Columbia and keep a catalina 27 on the lake here, I have a trailer for it and haul it for a family trip to the bc coast for 3-6weeks. definetly fun two girls age 6-8. we even had friends with their son join us for 4 nights once though they slept on shore ( i would not do that again on a 27)

things we did to make things a bit easier

kids sleep together in the v berth so we can have some peace in evenings

large rotomolded cooler with dry ice to use as a freezer.
12v bar fridge located where the inboard would be
adequate fresh water tankage
having a dodger and bimini make a big difference especially in bad weather.

that's about the most you can fit.

we have debated stepping up to a 33' hunter and building a custom trailer but we are only 4 years away from purchasing a much larger boat and untying the lines so are fine with what we have for now
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 08:56   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironvalleyfab View Post
I am located in the mountains of southern British Columbia and keep a catalina 27 on the lake here, I have a trailer for it and haul it for a family trip to the bc coast for 3-6weeks. definetly fun two girls age 6-8. we even had friends with their son join us for 4 nights once though they slept on shore ( i would not do that again on a 27)

things we did to make things a bit easier

kids sleep together in the v berth so we can have some peace in evenings

large rotomolded cooler with dry ice to use as a freezer.
12v bar fridge located where the inboard would be
adequate fresh water tankage
having a dodger and bimini make a big difference especially in bad weather.

that's about the most you can fit.

we have debated stepping up to a 33' hunter and building a custom trailer but we are only 4 years away from purchasing a much larger boat and untying the lines so are fine with what we have for now
Sounds fantastic and the tips are noted. If you ever make it down through MT drop us a line. Hopefully your next four years fly by and we can run across you all on the seas.
Old 17-02-2018, 09:44   #68

Boat: Trintella 29

I would second those who have meantioned the SF Bay area, as a great place for your family to get up to speed sailing. I am living on a 29ft Trintella in the Delta.

We have 1,000 miles of inland waterways, year around sailing conditions. Locals are sailing 3+ times a week in our "off season". Temp low's are 35ish for an hour or two and high's in the 70's in winter.

Between the Delta and Golden Gate is two large Bays to learn in including a US Navy Ghost fleet, and finally, once you leave the Golden Gate behind, you have Half Moon bay, and then Santa Cruz and the amuzement boardwalk area to take your kids too. Avalon being a start to longer distance runs back and forth.

There is everything available (sailing, supplies, weather) in the area to live on a boat part time. You can also make a trip up to Sacramento and visit the river based downtown area.

The SF/Delta area provides the perfect training ground for inland cruising even when the Pacific isn't friendly. Good luck.

~DeltaJack
Old 17-02-2018, 10:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trintella 29 View Post
I would second those who have meantioned the SF Bay area, as a great place for your family to get up to speed sailing. I am living on a 29ft Trintella in the Delta.

We have 1,000 miles of inland waterways, year around sailing conditions. Locals are sailing 3+ times a week in our "off season". Temp low's are 35ish for an hour or two and high's in the 70's in winter.

Between the Delta and Golden Gate is two large Bays to learn in including a US Navy Ghost fleet, and finally, once you leave the Golden Gate behind, you have Half Moon bay, and then Santa Cruz and the amuzement boardwalk area to take your kids too. Avalon being a start to longer distance runs back and forth.

There is everything available (sailing, supplies, weather) in the area to live on a boat part time. You can also make a trip up to Sacramento and visit the river based downtown area.

The SF/Delta area provides the perfect training ground for inland cruising even when the Pacific isn't friendly. Good luck.

~DeltaJack
Thanks for the input and encouragement. I see you have a Trintella 29, what a beautiful boat. I missed out on an opportunity to buy one that was for sale in Santa Barbra last year. She needed work but a beautiful boat to be sure. It has teak decks which I have heard are tough to keep looking good and avoid them and so on but they are so beautiful and classic.

Anyway, I did notice slips were much cheaper in Alameda for some reason. Certainly doesn't hurt my feelings to save a few bucks. We have lots of family in the bay area so that's an option for sure.
Old 17-02-2018, 10:59   #70

Boat: Trintella 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Thanks for the input and encouragement. I see you have a Trintella 29, what a beautiful boat. I missed out on an opportunity to buy one that was for sale in Santa Barbra last year. She needed work but a beautiful boat to be sure. It has teak decks which I have heard are tough to keep looking good and avoid them and so on but they are so beautiful and classic.

Anyway, I did notice slips were much cheaper in Alameda for some reason. Certainly doesn't hurt my feelings to save a few bucks. We have lots of family in the bay area so that's an option for sure.
Alameda is still Bay Area slip fee pricing, if you head towards the Delta for slip fee's they drop in half or so. A boat your size in the Delta is under $200 per month including power & Wifi. City owned Marina's with good security. Which gives you more $$ to reinvest into the boat kit itself each month.

The Trintella 29 I found is a pure British version, has a full plastic top with a an all teak interior, and teak cockpit exterior trim and toe rail. It has an alunimum mast with a low hour 10 hp Diesel lifeboat engine in it. Grandkids of the second owner abandoned it at the Marina.

Good luck and enjoy your time on the water,
Old 17-02-2018, 11:25   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trintella 29 View Post
Alameda is still Bay Area slip fee pricing, if you head towards the Delta for slip fee's they drop in half or so. A boat your size in the Delta is under $200 per month including power & Wifi. City owned Marina's with good security. Which gives you more $$ to reinvest into the boat kit itself each month.

The Trintella 29 I found is a pure British version, has a full plastic top with a an all teak interior, and teak cockpit exterior trim and toe rail. It has an alunimum mast with a low hour 10 hp Diesel lifeboat engine in it. Grandkids of the second owner abandoned it at the Marina.

Good luck and enjoy your time on the water,
Thanks. I cannot believe the deal you got on that boat, I don't even want to know what you paid! Sure sounds like a beautiful boat, very similar in size to our Columbia 29.
Old 24-02-2018, 14:45   #72

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Hi,
Congratulations on your enthusiasm for sailing!!

Well, the first thing is WHERE TO and WHAT do you want to do? Without those answers, I am afraid that any advice would be just impossible.

Please let me know what your desired destinations are, and if you are now ready to depart land. If not, then a different sail plan will probably be in order.
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 23:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Nostrum View Post
Hi,
Congratulations on your enthusiasm for sailing!!

Well, the first thing is WHERE TO and WHAT do you want to do? Without those answers, I am afraid that any advice would be just impossible.

Please let me know what your desired destinations are, and if you are now ready to depart land. If not, then a different sail plan will probably be in order.
well as mentioned were picking up next month and beginning the re-fit process. A few things are urgent, while the rest aren't. Also not planning anything major other than the decks,non-slip, port lights, hatches right away. Just want to get it out and she how we like the current set up first.

After that likely around the CA coast, but ultimately as were learning want to head to warmer waters. We like the south pacific, but as we get to know the boat more we will see storage wise I guess. The Bahamas is an option, we can trailer to florida and drop in the water. But really open to the where as long as its not freezing.
Old 25-02-2018, 03:08   #74

Boat: Flicka

C29 mk1? What a great sailing boat. I once owned #77 and sailed the heck out of her. To Mexico couple times, Hawaii, and as far South as Ecuador. What great memories.. 2 months at a time is doable with a family if you have grit and live simple. We're cruising a 30footer, (wife and 2 young boys) and are currently in NZ . Left CA 2 yrs ago. Catalina and Channel islands are awesome and are perfect to hone your abilities. On the C29 you might take a close look at support under mast and chainplates. Also rudder when hauled out. Kinda a heavy gal to trailer around @9000lbs and a little light weight for long distances offshore but a fantastically sweet sailing classic. . Do you guys all swim? Really good to get them used to the water early. Swimming together and lesson for the kids were great for us.
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 06:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnerd View Post
C29 mk1? What a great sailing boat. I once owned #77 and sailed the heck out of her. To Mexico couple times, Hawaii, and as far South as Ecuador. What great memories.. 2 months at a time is doable with a family if you have grit and live simple. We're cruising a 30footer, (wife and 2 young boys) and are currently in NZ . Left CA 2 yrs ago. Catalina and Channel islands are awesome and are perfect to hone your abilities. On the C29 you might take a close look at support under mast and chainplates. Also rudder when hauled out. Kinda a heavy gal to trailer around @9000lbs and a little light weight for long distances offshore but a fantastically sweet sailing classic. . Do you guys all swim? Really good to get them used to the water early. Swimming together and lesson for the kids were great for us.
NZ sounds amazing also, were headed to the Cooks later this year and cannot wait. Although were flying, not sailing down. Although maybe it will be good incentive to go further south as skills progress. We will surely take a good look at the things you mention on our haul-out next month. I expect to find lots of stuff that needs attention and as a result I wont be disappointed.

The wife and I swim and are water people, the little one doesn't swim yet at six months lol. My son is learning, but lessons together sounds like a good idea.

Tags
boat