Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 22:25   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Columbia 26 MKII vs Coronado 27 performance comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
i appreciate the input

However, i think you are missing my points

i didn't say i was going to buy either a columbia or coronado, i said that seems to be the boat that is consistently the most available

i was wondering how the two models handle

i am aware there are better boats out there

i do not care about other boats

because

my purpose in making this thread is because i had a general curiosity in whether or not the differences in the two boats were of any noticeable performance gains. it is merely a technical question regarding two similar, yet different boats made off the same hull with slight differences

nothing more

other than that, well, yeah.....................
So as far as performance differences go, in the northwest these 2 boats rate even under PHRF. The slight waterline advantage of the Coronado is offset by the Columbia's sail area advantage.

I sailed a club owned Columbia 26.2 for a number of years and can say first hand that the scimitar rudder tends towards weather helm. As a guess the Coronado's rudder would feel for balanced. Since the NorCal PHRF ratings are also even this probably doesn't provide a performance advantage but it might provide a comfort while sailing advantage.

The Columbia uses a full interior liner. I haven't been aboard a Coronado 27 in 25yr but photos on line suggest it also has a full liner. Since the 2 companies are related and the boats have the same designer I suspect the liners have similar scantlings. If that is the case then the Coronado is likely going to have an advantage in hull strength. If you subtract the ballast from the displacement, the Coronado has about 300lb more material in it (lets say about 7%). Even adjusting for the extra length it's going to be several percent heavier. Since bending strength scales the the 4th power, a 3% gain in thickness will give you a 12-13% increase in bending strength. Punching shear will improve proportionately less, but I would still expect an extra 5% in that.

If you are willing to modify the boat the Coronado has room for improvements. Specifically you could lengthen the boom (and move the traveler into the cockpit) which would probably necessitate adding a short bowsprit to keep the boat balanced. The added main area and the bigger genoa or drifter you could use would significantly improve light wind performance.

As far as the motor well on the Columbia goes it cut both ways. It did allow the motor to run in bigger waves, but usually that was accompanied by wind which resulted in sailing. The drawback was finding a motor that fit the well, not just the size of the bottom unit fitting thru the hole but the tilt of the motor. I recall we had problems finding a motor that was raked properly to not impinge the rudder when not running. When it was running thrust would push the bottom unit forward. In idle or turned off was when there was problems.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35   #17

Re: Columbia 26 MKII vs Coronado's​ 27 performance comparisons

Well, if I may, first the Colombia 26 MKII is one of the best designs in that size range. After reading what rag others wrote I had to create an account just to clear the water, now I have a huge wind building and must reduce some sail space so quickly, it will out sail any other in its class, take heaver weather than all the others and has much more room, no comparison MKII over any other all year every year, I will continue when we arrive at next harbor on our 1970 MKII 26 , one pirate and two sons, living abroad for 9 years
Pirate perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:38   #18

Back mate, as I was saying, the Colombia 26 MKII is a very seaworthy vessel, the best in its class by a long margin, will out sail anything else except a J boat but that isn't a live aboard and will never take the extreme weather that the MKII will, so I've been raising be two sons on one for 9 years all around the Northern​ end of lake Michigan and Huron and not only is it the best design inside and out with more room above,, below and cockpit but the engine well below the tiller is out of the way, easy to work with and will not cavitat when you really need it in big seas. If you know how to really sail a boat there is absolutely no weather they can't take and handle very well in all conditions, I now am selling mine as the boys are 10 and 14 and found a 36 Colombia that we are planning to sail to the Carribean after this summer comes to an end. So, having been sailing for my whole life on many many ships, world wide including Hawaii on a 58' Colombia sloop out of Maui "Island Star" that my brother was first mate on under Captain Gale Notestrom owned back then, late 80's early 90's by Bob and Gary of St. Ives been through the South Pacific, Fiji, Australia ect, The Colombia 26 MKII is by a long margin the best boat under 30' ever made, if you can pick one up in good condition, well maintained with reliable motor for under $5000, you will have not only the coolest looking boat but the best, roomiest, sturdy, easy to sail, safe vessel out there. I saw one a few years ago with a 20hp 4stroke Honda in it, pretty sure they took the lower end of the shaft off to install it but once on there really isn't any reason to take it off again, I put an 8hp Evinrude long shaft on mine 4 years ago and have not taken it off since. As far as the Coronado​goes, get in one, step on when it's in the water look below, all around then do the same on an MKII and you will know exactly what I'm saying, cheers
Pirate perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 23:48   #19

I have a Columbia 26MkII

Yes definitely, get the motor out of the well. On mine the well is boarded up and sealed shut. I saw a similar boat with the motor in the well and it was a pain in the neck, they were always bumping their feet into the thing, and like an above poster noted, when you are sailing it adds drag. I pull mine up out of the water and it sails like a dream. Couldn't imagine keeping the motor stuck in the water all the time, the marine growth on it would be a nightmare, I can just tilt mine up.

I don't find any problems sailing to wind at all. I have some seriously customized rigging from a previous owner, but I can sail 15 degrees off the wind and get great speed. The iron keel keeps you level provided you aren't being psycho with a ton of sail up (I've made this mistake). It handles weather pretty well, but if you heel way too far you can loose steerage, but that's going to be the same for most boats. Sails like a tank in heavy weather (I've been in 40-50 gust 60 and lived, wasnt exactly comfortable).

Very roomy inside the cabin because of the wide beam. Cantilevering is definitely a problem in a big chop with the motor on the back, but with the sails up it tracks pretty good. No reason to motor in a strong wind anyway unless your coming into a dock and need control.

The high freeboard catches a lot of the wind and under motor can push you off course. Definitely does not like to take the waves from the port or starboard, due to the shape of the hull you get that death roll rock. Problem is solved by putting up sail, which is not always an option.

Once your on course with the sails up and trimmed properly, it goes remarkably fast. Your not going to break any speed records or anything, but max I've done is just shy of 10 knots in following seas at high winds with just the jib up; with the wind coming from the side in light winds I was doing almost 6 kts with the main double reefed. Mind you I have a huge 150 jib I usually use because it almost acts like a spinnaker and I can jibsail it pretty fast even without the main up.

All in, if you are looking at a Columbia, in your price range, the 26MkII is a great, durable boat. I am not sure of the Coronado, I couldn't tell you anything about that. I'm happy with my 26MkII though, it's a great coastal cruiser that can take a lot more than you can. I even read a story about some nutbar guy who took it into blue water with a sketchy motor that didn't work half the time and he was rowing towing the thing with a dinghy when the wind died; the story is somewhere online I can't remember the site.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 02:55   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
but I can sail 15 degrees off the wind and get great speed.
Another instance of wildly exaggerated sailing performance. The above claim is simply not possible, and should not be considered in the OP's decision process.

Jim
Old 20-06-2017, 20:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Another instance of wildly exaggerated sailing performance. The above claim is simply not possible, and should not be considered in the OP's decision process.

Jim
Ugh. I actually can sail 15 degrees off the wind in my boat. Maybe not all Columbias can, but mine can.

Let's not hijack this guy's thread with this debate.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 20:45   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Columbia acquired Coronado at some point and I am pretty darn sure it is the same Bill Tripp hull. I don't know why the sailboatdata site has different numbers but I bet dollars to donuts you sail them both blindfolded and you would NEVER know the difference.

edit:
Ah, here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-06-20 at 8.46.34 PM.png
Views:	120
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	150287  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 20:57   #23

Boat: Spacesailer 24

Dont know these boats, but look at the basics.
The problems are stated as Directional stability (Sail balance) and outboard location.
The outboard location differences have been explained. Matter of personal preference. I have had both, and prefer the well, particulary if the o.b. plays up and you need to work on it at sea.

Sail balance is not going to be effected much by a bit of extra displacement or a cabin top. (Unless the mast position was moved.) However, if that extra weight is in the underwater shape, then maybe. See if you can get some photos or drawings of the underwater profile of each boat, and that might help provide an answer.
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 20:58   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
Ugh. I actually can sail 15 degrees off the wind in my boat. Maybe not all Columbias can, but mine can.

Let's not hijack this guy's thread with this debate.
Not hijacking. His query is about sailing performance, your claims (15 degrees apparent with good speed) fly in the face of theory, observation and practice. I do not think the OP should consider your claim in making his decision.

Jim
Old 20-06-2017, 21:16   #25

Boat: Spacesailer 24

These forums suck you in when you should be working (in my part of the World)

OK, had a look on Sailboat data.com at both boats. The Coronado does look like a nicer boat. Rudder is bigger, so might help. Mainsail smaller. Looks like the balance problems solved. Cabin top roomier. Outboard is not in a well, but has its own external well, so it is not really hanging that far behind the boat. If I was there I would go for the Coronado.

BTW, I do business with a company based in Port Angeles WA, and that area looks like a great place to sail. But I guess you already know that!
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 10:01   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sailboatdata is good and usually reliable but not perfect. I have found a few mistakes in there from time to time.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia