Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2021, 17:20   #1

CO2 Detector advice

I installed a residential C02 detector, like what you find at Home Depot, Amazon, etc. Near my Engine room & galley. The damn thing beeps false alarms all the time- when hatches are open, no engine is running, LPG is off at the source, no surrounding vessels that might influence it--my question: Is there a specific type suited to Marine application that is preferable, or did I just get a bum product? No petrol onboard BTW.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:35   #2

Re: CO2 Detector advice

Sofa King,

First off, you actually mean CO detector, NOT CO2. Carbon monoxide is very toxic, carbon dioxide is not (very).

CO detectors are not normally confused by LPG or fuel vapors. It sounds to me like your specific sample is bad. Household CO detectors work fine on boats.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 18:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Sofa King,

First off, you actually mean CO detector, NOT CO2. Carbon monoxide is very toxic, carbon dioxide is not (very).

CO detectors are not normally confused by LPG or fuel vapors. It sounds to me like your specific sample is bad. Household CO detectors work fine on boats.
Yes- CO- If I had an actual CO2 detector it would go off every time I popped a beer!
Old 19-07-2021, 22:47   #4

Check the fluid levels in your batteries if they are FLA. C0 sensors are highly sensitive to hydrogen and over charged batteries is a common source. They are sensitive to fluorocarbons as well but I’m thinking you aren’t doing dry cleaning or brake jobs I’m your boat.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 01:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Check the fluid levels in your batteries if they are FLA. C0 sensors are highly sensitive to hydrogen and over charged batteries is a common source. They are sensitive to fluorocarbons as well but I’m thinking you aren’t doing dry cleaning or brake jobs I’m your boat.
Ah HA! This is a probable culprit! I've a 3 battery bank right in the immediate vicinity & the issue started with the onset of Summer...I'll relocate & reassess- THANK YOU!
Old 20-07-2021, 10:24   #6

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Good lesson that the monitor is working just having trouble with hydrogen from batteries. Often alarms or GFCI circuits that trip are working, it is just easier to figure the unit has failed rather than track down the problem.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 11:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

One of the chief limitations of electrochemical [EC] sensors is the effect of interfering gases, [the ones that you are NOT trying to detect/measure with the sensor] on the sensor readings.
The reason that CO sensors are potentially susceptible to hydrogen [H2] interference is the reaction that is used to detect gas. Hydrogen is actually part of the detection reaction. The relative response to hydrogen depends on the brand and model of sensor. Some commonly used CO sensors show a relative response to hydrogen as high as 60%. Sometimes the cross sensitivity is presented as an advantage to customers. In some cases the response is so high the manufacturer tells customers the sensors should not be used at all, in the presence of hydrogen.
A more complete explanation ➥ https://www.indsci.com/en/the-monito...sors-the-same/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 12:06   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Humorous episode at the dock last week with my combined CO and propane alarm. End of a long boat chore day, poured a healthy measure of gin. Closing fridge lid caught the edge of the tumbler and spilled contents on the cabin floor right under the alarm sensor. Beep! I triggered my propane alarm with ethanol!
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:09   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

I know this is late to the game, but in the interest of spreading knowledge, here's a link to an article in Sailing Magazine that addresses the differences between marine grade CO detectors and residential ones:

https://sailingmagazine.net/article-...detector-.html

In a nutshell: Residential CO detectors will often give off frequent false alarms (just like the OP experienced) due to temporary CO spikes. Temporary CO spikes are common on boats, but not common on land. Marine CO detectors are designed only to alert when they detect CO for extended periods.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 20:08   #10

Can you recommend a marine smoke and CO detector to use on 40’ sailboat?
Old 15-01-2022, 20:17   #11

I've used the residential CO detectors on my boat for years and never had a false alarm. Typical cruising sailboat battery installations with 3-4 stage chargers give off very little hydrogen. I'd first suspect a faulty unit. It's cheap to rule that out by getting getting a 2nd home detector - maybe a different brand - and see if you have the same problem.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 21:19   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've used the residential CO detectors on my boat for years and never had a false alarm. Typical cruising sailboat battery installations with 3-4 stage chargers give off very little hydrogen. I'd first suspect a faulty unit. It's cheap to rule that out by getting getting a 2nd home detector - maybe a different brand - and see if you have the same problem.
Same here. Used a residdntial CO detector (Kidde C3010-D-CA) in 41-foot sailboat. Never a false alarm. (Its UL code indicates use for residential, RV or boats.)
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 22:39   #13

Thsnks. I ordered https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fireb...larm--18233056 and https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fireb...ctor--18379552 . I will post my experience after I try a few months
Old 16-01-2022, 02:34   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

It looks like you ordered a smoke alarm, not a carbon monoxide alarm. Interestingly enough, I haven't heard about any problems with residential smoke alarms giving off false alarms in marine environments. Only the carbon monoxide ones seem to have been doing that.

The marine-specific carbon monoxide detector I bought was this one from Defender Marine: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...=-1&id=3961887

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 04:23   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
It looks like you ordered a smoke alarm, not a carbon monoxide alarm...
Note the and.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice