Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2024, 03:56   #1

Boat: Roberts 36 ketch
Can I get some opinions? Ketch - Australia

I would like some opinions about two 36' ketch I found. I am in Western Australia, been looking for over one year and finally found two within my price range that kinda tick the boxes of what I am after.
Not many ketch below 40' and surely none in WA where I am. I fly out two wees ago to look at the one in Geelong VIC and flying out next week to look at the one in QLD.
About me/us. We are 60 and 54, wife sailed lots more than me in her early life, I have extensive experience in mechanics and electrical, back in the late 80s I was one of the leading engineers (don't hold it agains me) in an Italian company that produced marinized engines. I did few Atlantic crossings to Africa when I worked with fishermen (and much much younger).
Now we are looking for a ketch and do mainly coastal around Australia for a couple of years and venture to the blue water in the South Pacific.
If anyone is keen to give me an opinion, I would truly appreciate it.

Boat 1. Geelong.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...6-ketch/303283
The goods:
This boat comes with a 2 year old inflatable tender and a new Mercury 5HP
HF radio, Radar, AIS. Electronics is in very good order and working.
Strong Davits, new anodes, no osmosis. Boat is hauled out every year. Sails are all in good orders, I would give it 8/10. Great access to water tanks and fuel tanks.

The bads:
Electrical needs some major work, good battery banks but wiring is not really done in a professional way. The engine is very old, it runs and sounds ok. Maintenance is done yearly by the owner but... it needs a overhaul, Volvo parts are a nightmare to source and my personal experience with Volvo is unfortunately horrible. Both in Europe and here. I would repower the boat if I procede to buy it. Some of the work in this boat (cosmetic) is poor. Infiltration of water from two windows on the starboard side was fixed but needs some extra work.

This boat is in Geelong, asking price is 45K but as similar boat in Hastings is now going for 39K, he is happy to negotiate and probably match the price. I will have to probably get an experienced skipper to cross the Bass Strait as I don't feel competent enough to do it alone. (I know my limits)

Boat 2. Townsville QLD.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...t-ketch/302759

We haven't seen this boat yet, I base my judgemets on the pictures and the survey provided.
Wife loves the AFT cabin, definetely looks better than the boat in Geelong. Rigging is of similar age as the Geelong boat. Boat present (on pictures) slightly better than the Geelong boat. Head looks more functional (again, hard without seeing it). Vee berth needs a tidy up and some fixing. There is no mizzen, unsure on the davits capability, no diving board at the back, no tender, no comms no AIS. Same as the Geelong boat, it had water infiltrations from few windows. If it was picked up and fixed early enough, there should be no core damage. Lazzarette shows some decay in the vicinitry of mizzen chainplate, I can't comment until I see the boat. The engine: as a disclaimer, in the 80s I was one of the leading engineers in Nanni, I don't think I need to say much more. The TMC 40 transmission is a decent one. I don't know what to make of the weird engine mounts, I believe at some stage the boat was repowered. This engine and the transmission may be a tad small for a Roberts 36. 40HP engine and a TMC60 transmission would be a lot better.
We invested already around 8K just flying around to inspect boats. I look forward to see it. Also, it's more exciting the idea to sail a boat from Townsville to Perth than trying to kill myself crossing the Bass Strait!

My previous post about osmosis not weeping was related to this boat.

If anything is not clear or i haven't explained enough please feel free to comment. Cheers from a stinking hot WA
Franco_oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, ketch