Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 18:44   #16

Boat: Looking
Re: C.E. Ryder

Hi All

I'm still considering a Sea Sprite as I'm retiring soon. Please provide your thoughts on the attached boat. She is very new and looks like a great deal but I am a bit concerned about the build quality given it wasn't finished by C.E. Ryder.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...te-34-8590118/
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 05:47   #17

Boat: Tartan 40
C.E. Ryder

Looks like a nice one and if the listing is correct, was only launched in 2017? Really low hours engine is a bonus.
Things to do IMO:
Make sure the engine was stored properly from 2003 to when boat was launched many years later.
Find out when systems were installed
Inspect boat and check to see how interior is tabbed into the hull. Once you put an offer, a surveyor will be key.

In essence, this could be considered a bargain for a nearly new boat if build quality is as good as it seems from pics.
Others could say it’s overpriced for a dated design (hull designed by Bill Luders almost 50 years ago)
While my Luders handled poorly backing up like most or all attached rudder boats- I still don’t like bow thrusters and think the tunnel on this boat will take away some light air performance due to drag
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 06:29   #18

Boat: Looking

Thanks for your feedback. You’ve raised some good points for me to consider.
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 07:06   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Good points by malbert73. I also own a Luders and agree with the responses above.
After your first inspection, hire a surveyor. Pay particular attention to the deck and hull integrity, they were stored for over 30 years snd both are cored, they need to be checked.
The equipment and everything else are fairly new but don't pay attention to electronics, concentrate on the essentials and structural items.
I can't comment on the rig, different from the Luders 33 which has the end-boom mainsheet and is a masthead sloop, as opposed to the Sea Sprite's fractional rig.
I'll be curious to learn the reason for the sale after so much recent additions and upgrades.
Sounds like a good deal, though.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 17:57   #20

Boat: Tartan 40

Good points sv Tatia. I would say this sale is probably more common than thought of. Many people enjoy the build more than they actually like using the boat. If so, and the work is good, one can find a gem
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote