Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 06:01   #1

Buying a sailboat in Italy but it's registered in UK

Buying a sailboat in Italy but it's registered in UK . How to do i have to do? I have questions about the necessary documents . I need to avoid falling into a scam trap ! Thanks
Josi Lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 06:26   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Buying a sailboat in Italy but it's registered in UK

What kind of a U.K. registry does the boat have - "SSR" (Small Ships Registry) or a full PART I registration? Are you an EU citizen, and if so, do you want to keep the British Registry? Is the boat you are buying VAT paid?
Old 28-06-2019, 06:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a sailboat in Italy but it's registered in UK

If it is SSR dont worry about it, its the sellers resposibility to send it back.. also it is not proof of ownership.
If Part1 reg you have to de reg it or transfer it to your name.. I believe they have now opened it up to EU citizens but best check yourself here..
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 06:40   #4

This issue if very fact specific and personal in nature.

You need to determine which country or countries you are allowed to register with / flag your vessel with and then which country you desire to register / flag with. Some countries have open registries and are called flags of convenience which allow for non-citizens and non-residents to have their vessel flagged by such country, and other countries are closed to citizens or residents of the country. Most countries administer the registry with a government agency / bureau, and some countries use a third party contracted company to facilitate their country flagging of vessels.

There are benefits associated with specific registries, for example, "full" registries provide title for your vessel whereas other registries do not provide title. By way of example, The UK Small Ships Register (SSR) provides a simple form of non-title registration for eligible UK residents who own pleasure vessels that are less than 24 metres in overall length. So you need to determine if you need titling, e.g., are you financing the vessel and if so does the financing institution require titling and the ability to post a priority lien on your vessel.

Then it is a matter of following the chosen country's specific regulations and procedures to register your vessel, some countries are bureaucratically easier then others.

There are many threads regarding this subject, too many on this forum, but there are hosts of websites one can Google and research.

Do your detailed research.

I know of no scams associated with registry so long as one is dealing with the designated official authorities or the designated contract company that administers the registry for the country as there in no means for those officials to be able to "scam" you.

Good luck and enjoy your vessel.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 10:42   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Montanan has set the position out really helpfully.

Being in Italy I would only add these two points:

1. many of the boats in my marina are clearly owned by Italians yet registered in, say, the UK or Holland. When I asked why, the answer was the Italian paperwork is such a pain that it is easier to register somewhere else!

2. if the boat is VAT paid in the UK then please look up the threads about the impact of Brexit. In particular, the boat being in the EU should the UK be crass enough to leave. You do not want to end up paying VAT/IVA twice.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 11:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a sailboat in Italy but it's registered in UK

Wanting to be Free is crass..???
Get a life.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Italy, sail, sailboat