Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2024, 18:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Boats Comparable to a Tartan 395

I am assessing what I'd like in a new boat and it seems that the Tartan 395 is coming up as my first choice as my research unfolds. I'd be curious to learn what others think might be best match for my criteria:
I'd like a proper yacht; I am looking for quality as I upgrade from a Beneteau (that I love). In addition to above average quality, I'd like a generator to run climate control at anchor. And I think I want a bow thruster as I singlehand most of the time.
37 - 41' LOA
Shoal draft; the 395's 4'10" draft via a beavertail keel is a huge positive given my FL sailing area; I have 4'11" now and don't want to go deeper than 5.5' in future.
Air draft less than 65'

I am not a fan of the new Euro look although I am sure many of them sail well.

What other quality boats compare well with a Tartan 395?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 16:23   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Boats Comparable to a Tartan 395

I'm surprised no one responded. My experience is very limited but I'll take a stab at it.

Tim Jackett was a primary designer for both Tartan and C&C yachts, so there would be a lot of quality crossover with those brands.

I would personally consider J Boat, Island Packet, Cabo Rico, and Gozzard, to all be similar quality and style to Tartan - modern yachts with a fair amount of traditional style.

Although the first two would sail differently - J Boat is more focused on racing, and Island Packets have a full keel so they are more heavy and stable.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 17:08   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'd love a J Boat but the draft is a big factor for me. Island Packets are great and have shallow draft but I don't like the jib boom on the foredeck. And I'd like something a bit more performance oriented. I need to look more at Gozzard.
Old 24-01-2024, 18:13   #4

Boat: Hylas 46

Are you looking at new (er) boats only?

I agree that the shoal draft will be the biggest limiting factor, so you may need to pick an upper limit.

If you're open to older boats, a few that come to mind are Bristol, Little Harbor and Sabre should have shoal draft models in your range. Not sure about Passport. (I don't think Baltic does/did; Swan probably not.)

On the newer side, the only one that jumps out is Catalina. (Maybe not quite the quality.) A couple others could be HR and Najad, but hard to find on this side of the pond.

I'm sure I'm missing others.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2024, 04:34   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

The T395 looks awesome. I have a vintage T40 that no one can believe is 1987 because it looks so much newer. Tartans really age well if cared for. Their speed and sailing fun for a cruising boat are very worth it.

If a new T395 is too expensive, I’d look for a recent used T4100 on the market. Usually these boats are lavished with upgrades and doted on and can be a great “value” if you have several 100K to spend
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 06:51   #6

Currently atop my list too, although I go back and forth on these vs. fast/fat bottom French boats like an RM 1070 or 1180...

Any more feedback? It would be a real reach price-wise, but the T395 seems to tick more boxes than most for me (likewise with the 365)...
Spokey Doke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 03:40   #7

No more feedback. The T395 does tick a lot of boxes. I bet it would be very nice.

Not sure if it is a sign or not, but I am currently bareboat chartering in the Virgins and my chartered boat for the week is named Fiyolo. At first I thought that Fiyolo was a silly if not stupid name because I didn't understand what it meant. Once I learned what it meant I got to thinking that maybe the boating gods are telling me to get the T395.
Old 19-02-2024, 04:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
... At first I thought that Fiyolo was a silly if not stupid name because I didn't understand what it meant. Once I learned what it meant I got to thinking that maybe the boating gods are telling me to get the T395.
You made me look.
F%^* It, You Only Live Once.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 04:35   #9

Quote:
No more feedback. The T395 does tick a lot of boxes. I bet it would be very nice.

Not sure if it is a sign or not, but I am currently bareboat chartering in the Virgins and my chartered boat for the week is named Fiyolo. At first I thought that Fiyolo was a silly if not stupid name because I didn't understand what it meant. Once I learned what it meant I got to thinking that maybe the boating gods are telling me to get the T395.
I've been getting that feeling a lot lately too...mostly because DW FINALLY declared that she is all in on sailing full time after our dog is no longer with us and she retires (likely ~5yrs). There is a lot to do in the meantime, and its super engaging (esp. the chartering), but now that that decision has been made, the wait is a real challenge...
Spokey Doke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 07:20   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokey Doke View Post
... now that that decision has been made, the wait is a real challenge...
I understand your impatience.

I had my patience tested yesterday.
It came back negative.
So,tomorrow, I’m going to a seminar, on patience.
I can't wait!

But, just remember:
Ignorance is bliss, and patience is a virtue.
If you’re dumb, and don’t mind waiting around.

Also remember:
Patience, is what you need to have, when there are too many witnesses.

Old 19-02-2024, 07:33   #11

I realize I’ll have to wait for another boat to come into my life, especially the perfect boat. But I am considering putting my current perfect boat up for sale and perhaps see what life is like without a boat for a few months. I have never not had a boat and my wife is scared to death of the idea of me going boatless. I think I become irritable when I can’t go sailing. But I am semi-intrigued by the idea of not having a boat to worry about during hurricane season. Every year the worry is real and I have suffered one direct hit (Michael). Taking one season off might be nice. Maybe I’ll get a center console and go fishing more. Maybe I’ll go camping more.

Life is good and YOLO.
Old 20-02-2024, 02:50   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... Life is good and YOLO.
I can get, almost all of, my friends, to do really stupid stuff, by simply saying, "YOLO"
It doesn't seem to work as well, with my super-religious friends, though.

Tags
boat