Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 07:37   #31

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: Blue Water Monohulls Under 32ft

Ok, this one is on the list. A Falmouth Cutter 22. Atom says the interiors are kind cramped for cruising. So I figure he is going off the 22 number and has never been aboard one. I owned one for 16 years. Took the diesel out right after I bought her for blue water voyaging. I did have a small 4hp outboard to use that was also for my roll up dinghy. Fine for going into the Dock. Minus the engine gave me more storage and tankage for water. I carried 55gals, enough for two people for 27 days.
She is from the board of Lyle Hess famous for The 24’ Saraffyn that was circumnavigated by Lyn and Larry Pardey.
I made offshore passages with her from San Diego to Cabo and up into the gulf. I later sailed her offshore from Florida to St Thomas and cruised and lived aboard in the eastern Caribbean. Finally after selling her I delivered her to New York harbor via Bermuda.
After 16 years of sailing her I averaged 100 miles per day. She is a fast and competitive boat because of hull design and sail area. The spinnaker is around 500sqft. The design comes from 100s of years of design evolution in one of the roughest and toughest sailing areas in the world, the Bristol Channel and North Sea. They handle heavy weather very well and heave too like a boss.
The construction has always been top notch. The interior is all wood, not a cheap fiberglass insert. She is a bit to maintain because of all the wood, but she is a thing of beauty.
Down below she has two quarter berths that double as settees. They are 6’7” long as well as the offset double up forward. You can stretch out nicely. The galley is forward. And with the addition of a tilt up table extension between port and starboard she has a bigger galley than most 30-32 footers.
And if you don’t want to do a 1000 mile beat to weather you can easily put her on a trailer. I am attaching a comparison of specs between Atom and a Falmouth Cutter. I have now been cruising the 28’ Bristol Channel Cutter for 13 years. Same design, just twice the size.
For your reference her are some links.
http://capegeorgecutters.com/_boat-designs/falmouth-cutter-22/

And if interested, the 28’ Bristol Channel Cutter. One just finished a solo circumnavigation south of the three capes a couple of months ago.
http://capegeorgecutters.com/_boat-designs/bristol-channel-cutter-28/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10A6276F-BBD2-440D-87BF-4181D988CF25.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	231549  
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
Ok, this one is on the list. A Falmouth Cutter 22. Atom says the interiors are kind cramped for cruising. So I figure he is going off the 22 number and has never been aboard one. I owned one for 16 years. Took the diesel out right after I bought her for blue water voyaging. I did have a small 4hp outboard to use that was also for my roll up dinghy. Fine for going into the Dock. Minus the engine gave me more storage and tankage for water. I carried 55gals, enough for two people for 27 days.
She is from the board of Lyle Hess famous for The 24’ Saraffyn that was circumnavigated by Lyn and Larry Pardey.
I made offshore passages with her from San Diego to Cabo and up into the gulf. I later sailed her offshore from Florida to St Thomas and cruised and lived aboard in the eastern Caribbean. Finally after selling her I delivered her to New York harbor via Bermuda.
After 16 years of sailing her I averaged 100 miles per day. She is a fast and competitive boat because of hull design and sail area. The spinnaker is around 500sqft. The design comes from 100s of years of design evolution in one of the roughest and toughest sailing areas in the world, the Bristol Channel and North Sea. They handle heavy weather very well and heave too like a boss.
The construction has always been top notch. The interior is all wood, not a cheap fiberglass insert. She is a bit to maintain because of all the wood, but she is a thing of beauty.
Down below she has two quarter berths that double as settees. They are 6’7” long as well as the offset double up forward. You can stretch out nicely. The galley is forward. And with the addition of a tilt up table extension between port and starboard she has a bigger galley than most 30-32 footers.
And if you don’t want to do a 1000 mile beat to weather you can easily put her on a trailer. I am attaching a comparison of specs between Atom and a Falmouth Cutter. I have now been cruising the 28’ Bristol Channel Cutter for 13 years. Same design, just twice the size.
For your reference her are some links.
Falmouth Cutter 22' - Cape George Marine Works

And if interested, the 28’ Bristol Channel Cutter. One just finished a solo circumnavigation south of the three capes a couple of months ago.
Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - Cape George Marine Works
Falmouth 22; Great little boats. Had 2 friends with them years ago. Been on both and sailed on one too. Fast as my old school Garden 30 was cruising... almost. But yes, cramped, but it's only a 22 ft boat, so you can't expect a ton of room.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:02   #33

I suggest you read the Speedwell of Hong Kong, speedwelladventures.com, single-handed woman sailor from South Africa on a small boat.
I did a five year circumnavigation of the world on a 30ft. steel boat with my wife and two young children.
Choosing a boat that is easy to handle, within you capabilities and confidence level means you are more likely to do more sailing than being reluctant to leave harbour.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:29   #34

Boat: Flicka 21 feet 9 inches sailboat

Hi Vicki6, i have a home-built flicka, i built it in 1993. Iv'e sailed her along the south west coast of England, from Newlyn to Chichester, across the English channel from my home town of Torquay, Devon, to Cherbourgh, France, and once to Aldernay, Channel islands.
They are a lovely boat to sail, i think she cost me 6000 pounds to build back in 1993. I had a fire on board, but i repaired her and still have her. I did write about her on cf, if you are interested just put oz-1 in the search box and you will find some photos as well. Good luck with your sailing life. Oz.

Linky added by Pete 7: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2447519
Oz-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:44   #35

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki6 View Post
I hope you know I didn't mean your replies. I meant other posts here on CF had already addressed that. I wish I had just said Atom V. I think the word bluewater ruined the post. People think I look for advice... Still, I had a couple of great responses, and I'm thankful for them.
You should have spent more time reading other post to see how off subject and twisted a thread gets here.

Contact James Baldwin directly, he is a really nice man. He actually sailed his 28 ft Triton around the world three times and maintains it in shape for another voyage ( despite what people here post about older, small, costly sailboats) . He may put you in contact with some of his clients who can give you exactly the info you desire.

His videos give insight into boat projects, as I'm sure you already know.

PS when you ask for peoples experience on a subject, what are you asking for if not advice, People are not going to post a journal of repairing and maintaining a boat. At least I'm not and I've done a few of them
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:45   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

I own a Pacific Seacraft Orion. As you are interested in several PS boats it is a great one to consider because the value (amount of boat for the money) is better than the Flicka and much better than a Dana. When looking at older boats generally keep in mind that you will need to spend in some cases a LOT of money and time to get the boat equipped and prepared for blue water sailing. Mine was in REALLY bad shape when I got her but a very well equipped boat. I have gone overboard working on her but have easily put 1-2X the purchase price into repairs and upgrades. MY crazy choices but I did not anticipate spending that much. If I were to do it again I would get a much bigger and newer boat and probably work just as hard on it!
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:01   #37

There are a lot of blue water appropriate sailboats but imho, anything from Pacific Seacraft are at the top of the list for seaworthiness and comfort. Almost anything from Rider marine's yard excellent. One thing all important: a deep and protected cockpit. Friend got washed out of his Westsail 32 due to the exposed cockpit while we stayed safe in our little luder's 32 during a hurricane condition event while crossing the Gulf Stream. And do not fret about deep cockpits. Any water dumped into them will almost immediately get thrown overboard with the next wave. 60 years of sailing experience.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:17   #38

Boat: Shannon 28

https://www.rewildfamily.com/2018/06...hamas.html?m=1

We love our Shannon 28. We paid exactly $50,000 for her in 2012. We sailed her from Maine to the Bahamas with our 3 young sons, and she has proven herself time and again. Before her we owned a Pacific Seacraft 25, which we sailed from Hawaii to Australia — sure wish we had had the Shannon on that 3 year voyage...

With our boys growing it’s time for us to look at larger boats, and put Tiny Bubbles II on the market. My wife says the Shannon 28 is our perfect retirement boat, but that’s a ways off... no sense in holding onto her until then.

https://www.rewildfamily.com/2018/06/farewell-bahamas.html?m=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDB3359F-E298-4063-BAF6-086619F814E5.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	231560  
Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 12:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloway View Post

We love our Shannon 28. We paid exactly $50,000 for her in 2012. We sailed her from Maine to the Bahamas with our 3 young sons, and she has proven herself time and again. Before her we owned a Pacific Seacraft 25, which we sailed from Hawaii to Australia — sure wish we had had the Shannon on that 3 year voyage...

With our boys growing it’s time for us to look at larger boats, and put Tiny Bubbles II on the market. My wife says the Shannon 28 is our perfect retirement boat, but that’s a ways off... no sense in holding onto her until then.

Shannons are nice boats, but not as well built as the Pacific Seacrafts. However, they are certainly well founded and seaworthy.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 13:03   #40

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Bought an Albin Vega 27' for $12k. Put in another $5k replacing the rigging, chainplates, electrical upgrades, LED lights, etc, and homebuilt a Walt Murray-style windvane. Then in 2014 sailed from BC to San Francisco and on to Hawaii with a friend, and singlehanded home. Caught many tuna and mahi mahi in the tropics.

After that, I've sailed significantly on the open Pacific around Vancouver Island, and frequently sail offshore 25 miles for a day or two on La Perouse Bank fishing salmon, lingcod and halibut. My favourite technique is adjusting the sails and windvane to move along at a knot or so with two herring flipping on downriggers, and stretch out for a nap. When the reel starts singing it's time to wake up. It's the most relaxing fishing possible. After a good weekend on the banks, we'll have a cooler full of fish and are fully rested from about 12 hours of sleep a day.
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 14:19   #41

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Bought a BCC in 1992 for $32,500. Finished out an interior (and some exterior) refit, loaded her with stores, and left for 3 years in the Caribbean. Moved to Virginia, had 2 kids, decided over dinner we were taking the boat and the kids to the Bahamas for a year. Did a quick minor refit, loaded her with stores, and left for a year in the Bahamas. Kids grew up, left the house. We sold the house, are working intensely on a massive almost complete interior refit with as much exterior as possible. We'll load her with stores and leave for as long as it's fun.

At this point, I'd estimate we have about twice what we paid for her in refit and maintenance over the past almost 30 years. We've said repeatedly that if we'd bought any other of the boats on our short list in 1992, we'd long have moved on. We will never sell this one; our son has already asked that we leave it to him in our will.

She carries as much crap as we want to take with us (a friend sailing with us on a 45' boat watched in impressed horror as we pulled out a full harbor awning from the lazarette - we had far more storage on our boat than they did on theirs). She sails beautifully. She's gorgeous. I can go on and on.

Maybe the fact that we've had her for so long and are planning to cruise for years still on her says something.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 05:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagfish View Post
Bought an Albin Vega 27' for $12k. Put in another $5k replacing the rigging, chainplates, electrical upgrades, LED lights, etc, and homebuilt a Walt Murray-style windvane. Then in 2014 sailed from BC to San Francisco and on to Hawaii with a friend, and singlehanded home. Caught many tuna and mahi mahi in the tropics.

After that, I've sailed significantly on the open Pacific around Vancouver Island, and frequently sail offshore 25 miles for a day or two on La Perouse Bank fishing salmon, lingcod and halibut. My favourite technique is adjusting the sails and windvane to move along at a knot or so with two herring flipping on downriggers, and stretch out for a nap. When the reel starts singing it's time to wake up. It's the most relaxing fishing possible. After a good weekend on the banks, we'll have a cooler full of fish and are fully rested from about 12 hours of sleep a day.
I’m new to this forum. Love sailboats, love fishing, and this post really caught my eye!! I do not have a monohull YET. I am looking, and am considering an appropriate size boat that allows me to comfortably sail “solo”( this includes myself onboard and several “non-sailing friends”. We live on the east coast- my metro area. DO NOT want the black water of the Hudson River though!)

Looking for a 32’ or so to fish , sail, vacation and sharpen single handed sailing skills
Sarks757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 06:38   #43
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We spent $12K US in 2009 on our 1976 Bayfield 32 (quite a small boat, basically a modified Bayfied 30).

Then we spent 10 years and even more money bringing her back to our opinion of decent shape. (We basically took apart everything except the toe rails and engine.)
They are sound little boats.

Decent build quality and many good features:
Diesel (30 HP)
Cutter rigged. Conservative sail plan, easy to manage.
Shallow draft (3'10", allegedly)
Encapsulated lead keel.
Roomy foredeck.
Big cockpit.
Wheel steering.
All around cockpit coaming allowing easy enclosure/bimini attachment/line handling.
Large lazarettes.

Some drawbacks (which are probably true of all smaller boats):
Slow boat (LOA 23 ft)
Small fuel and water tanks.
Little bilge storage space.
Cramped galley.
Not really more than a two person boat.
Doesn't back up under power well.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bayfield-3032

Would buy again, perhaps one in better condition. Main good points when we bought: practically unused sails,
repowered engine (only had 280 hrs),
failed head holding tank
no water tank (had been replumbed as holding tank)

This last is a bad idea but it did reduce the price!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:00   #44

Boat: Nonsuch 30

In travelling close to 50k miles offshore we have seen a fair number of smaller cruisers. What stands out is that we say as many Vega 27s as all other sub 31' models combined. This likely reflects a few things - most were owned by people from Scandinavia, a lot of Vegas were built - and they are very good for the purpose. Most of the people on them were fairly young.
Old 30-01-2021, 07:17   #45

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Shannons are nice boats, but not as well built as the Pacific Seacrafts.
Having been aboard a Dana 24 and an Orion 27, I would challenge that statement. Can't speak to the larger Shannons, but the build quality of the Shannon 28 cutter, at least to my eye, is superior to both of these two wonderful little yachts from PS.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, hull, monohull, water